Alan Wake findings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake findings

Post stuff you've found with the free camera and Alan Wake Unpack tool! I know there were threads for these before, but a lot of the images have been wiped away by time.
    I'll post my crud first:

I really like how there is a copy of Bird Leg Cabin in New York, complete with the bridge to diver's isle and all:
    http://i.imgur.com/cI5iIw3.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/8Y3tReY.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Hc64fBe.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ClAPxpJ.jpg
    Is this part of the Dark Place? I found it in Episode 6.

Remedy went way further in the "open world" stage than I expected, judging by all the missing props in the game world marking houses and whatnot.
    http://i.imgur.com/7M0yvzb.jpg

I also found the spot Alan was standing on in the beginning of the unreleased X06 trailer.
    Or not, the trailer had the radio mast. Whatevs.
    The "Alan Wake development history" fanatic strikes again!

Re: Alan Wake findings

Woow, these are great finds. Now I am curious about the area around the lighthouse in the dream level.

Comment

The lighthouse area actually contains pretty much nothing. I think it's the only area in the game not located in the same map as Bright Falls. There are some sorta roads and structures I guess located in the map, but that's pretty much all. I really like how the QR code on the bulletin board leads to the Alan Wake Facebook page. And the lighthouse island is the same one as in the E3 2009 demo! I wish there were tools to do beta restorations.
      Darn, the dark presence really doesn't mess around, this police car has seen some better days: http://i.imgur.com/pyRubKI.jpg.
      Slightly further away are these weird cables, could someone explain what they are? Also behind Stucky's Gas Station in "On The Run", we can find this strange complex, we may never know what is was (unless someone like Mikki comes to explain it).
      Last edited by CatoNator; 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Double post! (again? this is gonna get me banned before I say...)

Anyways, I've been digging around Alan Wake again. I'll announce the big news first: I managed to restore this early orchestrated awesome! : o It's the music piece that was heard in the X06 demo intro, as well as in the IDF 2006 intro, where the end was cut off. It sounds a bit funny in the beginning, because I had to get a little clever with the vocal removing so we don't lose all quality in the piece.
        Second thing: The Xbox 360 version has more leftovers from early demos, while the PC version had some of them removed, and added some really cool stuff back in. For example: the Xbox 360 version has a lot of early models located in the "demo06" folder, probably referencing the X06/IDF 2006 demo, while the PC version had early Alan models added in, dating back to 2008 even. There's also more stuff in the "prototype" folder.
        There's really nothing else for now, I'll report once I find more stuff. ;3

Comment

Very cool indeed! Keep up the good work.
          My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Great findings! Do you think we can mod the older models back to the game? That would be rad!
            ''Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there’s little fun to be had in explanations; they’re antithetical to the poetry of fear...''
            -Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by edcar007 View Post
              Great findings! Do you think we can mod the older models back to the game? That would be rad!
              I thought of that too. I might try it out.

Comment

I'm back with my too much freetime.
                Believe or not, but Alan Wake was going to have some kind of demo shown in 2008. And at GDC '09.
                The demo06 folder on Xbox contains a lot of random models which have no relation with the X06 or IDF 06 demos at all. Unless there was another demo which was never shown. We may never know.
                The PC version of Alan Wake added a lot of random stuff. While the demo06 folder was pretty much all of the leftovers on Xbox, PC version has multiple Alan models, more demo06 stuff, the aforementioned GDC '09 and demo08 stuff, and the racetrack. There are also some leftover animations for wolves, which were mentioned in "Alan Wake Illuminated".

Alongside that, the open world is pretty cool too. Illuminated presents us with a map for the Bright Falls area, which is actually accurate. At least partially. Also almost every house in Bright Falls has an interior.

Comment

Awesome stuff. Also, that music is really rad.

Comment

Nothing new for now, but it should be noted that I have about 3gbs worth of videos, images and text detailing the developmental process and chances during the making of Alan Wake. I should upload all that stuff up soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X