Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Anniversary to our dear friend, Alan.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Anniversary to our dear friend, Alan.

Hi all! This month is a very special month. It marks the anniversary of several key events in Alan Wake history.

5 years ago today, after an immense amount of anticipation from the community - and preparation from the team, Alan Wake was first released to the world (well specifically Europe, with the US release being on the 18th).

Subsequently, 10 years ago this month I created the first Alan Wake community site which later that month turned into the official community forums you are reading this on right now.

I may no longer be at Remedy or even in the games industry anymore but I will forever look back at these dates as they literally (and I don't say that lightly) got me to where I am today.

There's a lot of history in the Alan Wake development timeline and to celebrate this awesome occasion I thought it'd be cool to have a little look back at the past. I, unfortunately, don't have much on hand anymore but for those who have been here since Day 1 it's a pretty neat (albeit quite short) look back on how this community started.

Where it all started (the 3D Realms forums -- the home of the official Max Payne forums):
    https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11263

Alan Wake was revealed to me (and a lot of the original Max Payne community) through this thread. You can see my initial posts there as the user 'ADM'. Ah, the memories

The first spark

I then spent the next day frantically working on AlanWAKE.net...

The announcement on the 3D forums...

What AlanWAKE.net looked like when it launched on May 5th, 2005 (news site only)...

A day later I launched the forums and the first community site was born! A couple of days prior to E3 2015 and the first big reveal of Alan Wake to the world, Mika from Remedy got in touch with me and my little tiny fansite became the official community forums kicking off a chain of events for me which will result in my eventual employment with Remedy as their Community Manager and my first official start in the Games Industry.

What the original forums looked like:

Here's a unreleased version of AlanWake.net that I never got around the launching (if I remember correctly!)

What the forums looked like when Alan Wake was released in 2010..

A chat log from a Q&A session we ran:
    http://community.remedygames.com/fil...y_qna_chat.txt

Another chat log from around Alan Wake PC launch time...
    http://textuploader.com/uj5w

This one is kind of funny and a little insight into the AW facebook page five months prior to Alan Wake launching, here's a snippet of one of my reports I would collate for Ozz when I was reporting to him:

760 total Facebook likes! For reference, we grew to over 300,000 by the end of my time at Remedy.

Some cool threads of interest...
    AlanWake.net merges into AlanWake.com
    Screen captures of the first Alan Wake teaser video
    This thread, but 9 years ago
    Maddieman steps up to admin the forums while I step down to focus on studies
    2005 Community Interview with Remedy
    The Alan Wake FAQ!
    An exclusive look into the behind the scenes demo of Alan Wake at E3 2005
    Microsoft announced as Alan Wake's publisher - May 2006
    Me, Morry and Kahr had fun posting Alan Wake excerpts we received from Remedy
    2009 Community Interview with Remedy
    Alan Wake Wars announced!
    Alan Wake goes gold!
    Alan Wake PC announcement
    Alan Wake's American Nightmare release thread
    A photo tour of Remedy by me
    A photo tour of Remedy by Morry
    Some cool (imo) statistics from the forums (gives a good snapshot of the community up until 2012)

and finally most importantly:

The birth of Hotskari!

That's all I have, unfortunately. If you guys have some things to share from back then or you want to share your first experience playing or even getting introduced to Alan Wake, lets celebrate the Alan Wake anniversary month together!

Happy birthday, Alan!

Re: Happy Anniversary to our dear friend, Alan.

Ah, the memories!

It's amazing to think that we have been around this community for 10 years! Being on these forums quickly turned from being just a mere interest to being a regular contributor to finally working with our fantastic group of moderators and admins.
    I would not have stayed for as long as I have had it not been for the overall community and a shared passion for all things Remedy. So a huge thanks goes out to everyone who ever joined in the discussions (except for those hilarious characters that we banned).

I have also been very honoured to be chosen as a moderator for all of this time. We had a great team running this place and I feel as though I have actually made some good friends out of it. We've had people come and go over the years, but I mainly want to thank sidetwo, Maddieman, Kitt, and Kahr for the good times. If any of you are ever in my part of the world, I will always be happy to meet up with you.

Special thanks also goes to the Remedy staff who took the time out from their busy schedules to post on these forums and reply to stupid questions while still keeping their sanity.

On the public side, most of you will know that Mikki has been a significant presence, answering questions in great detail, telling stories, and brought an intelligent sense of humour to the place. We could probably compile an entire book on all of the posts that Mikki has made over the years.

Behind the scenes, we have also been greatly helped and supported by Markus and Mika, who have both dedicated a lot of time to guide the community and give us the support we needed. Both Markus and Mika have been at Remedy since the early days and have high-level positions, so I'm humbled that they have taken an interest in our small community over the years.

A quick shout-out also goes to Juoko for helping us keep the lights on, Oskari for guiding our community efforts, and Lauri for keeping everything going in the post-AW years.

There are many other staff who have been quietly reading the discussions over the years, so thanks to those who popped in to answer a question or make their presence known. For example:
    That one time Sam Lake posted on the forum...
    That one time Matias posted on the forums...

I'll have to dig up some more memories from the archives when I have a moment. I'm sure there are some classic stories and threads to find.

Finally, a big thanks goes to both Maddieman and sidetwo. We would not have this community without their time and persistence over the years. It's been a fantastic journey for me and I want to thank you both for the opportunity to have been part of it.

- Morry
    Remedy's currently known projects:
    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Damn, Pete, that's a real trip down memory lane. Love it. While you aren't with us anymore... yes, okay, that sounds like you died, I know, but hey, I mean, CAN YOU PROVE YOU'RE NOT A MURDEROUS AI THAT KILLED PETE AND IS NOW SIMULATING HIM? Yeah. Didn't think so. But just the same, evil AI that is impersonating Pete, it's no exaggeration to say that you were absolutely instrumental in creating Remedy's community.

And Morry, that's an incredibly flattering description of me, and speaking as a guy who hasn't actually logged in for a long while, I now feel a certain amount of shame over my inactivity for the past year (and then some).

As is so often the case, I can't talk much about our current projects, but I can say that working on Quantum Break has been quite a ride, and it ain't over yet. (That's the reason I haven't had a chance to even respond to this earlier; I knew the thread existed, but I was on a business trip and I just didn't have the chance to even read it, let alone post to it.) Long story short, I'm pretty sure I have literally never, ever been this busy in my life, and when I'm in a position where I can't actually talk about the project much at all, it's much easier for me to just... well... not be here. I hope people can understand that.

But even so, I have to say that this community has been wonderful. I like it, and especially by the standards of gaming communities in general, it has always stood out to me. I'll be blunt: there are a lot of incredibly toxic communities online, the kind of places where everything is an attack and you can't have a genuine conversation for all the snarkiness, and where it's incredibly hard for a game developer to actually engage the audience, because it's just not worth the aggravation or, in far too many cases, outright harassment. That's something this community has generally resisted, and that's partly because of our attempts to foster a certain kind of atmosphere, but also because it seems a lot of the people who enjoy our games and want to discuss them are just cool and level-headed people. Believe me, that's very much appreciated; I've seen... other approaches up close, and that's not something I need in my life.

With this community, engaging the audience has never felt like a gamble. That's a big deal to me.

We still try to be pretty approachable as a company, and when we do talk to the audience, we try to be as straightforward as we can. Personally, I'm pretty active on Twitter, you may want to look me up there if you want to talk; I try to respond to questions and be engaged in conversation (although that 140 character limit doesn't make things easy, and my old "I won't comment on rumors or speculation, and I won't talk about stuff I can't talk about" policy is still in effect, for sort of obvious reasons, but still). And there's often jokes that may or may not involve poop! So, y'know, I keep it pretty damn classy.

Here's to all y'all reading this. Much love. Peace out.

- Mikki
      Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Hey Pete!

We miss you lol.
        Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
          CAN YOU PROVE YOU'RE NOT A MURDEROUS AI THAT KILLED PETE AND IS NOW SIMULATING HIM? Yeah. Didn't think so.
          I have evolved, for the better -- that old Pete didn't know what was coming. It is better now, for all.

Oh man I miss this

[MENTION=4905]djshauny1[/MENTION] - You making it sound like I died! Haha. Trust me I've been lurking like crazy here. Just don't have the time as much to contribute like I'd want to, unfortunately.

You guys can't get rid of me easily. EVIL PETE FOREVER!1

Comment

Cant believe its been over 5 years already since i.first played alan wake

Im still eagerly awaiting the sequel, but it seems just as far off as it did 5 years ago sadly

But yeah, a late happy birthday alan!

Comment

Originally posted by sidetwo View Post
              I have evolved, for the better -- that old Pete didn't know what was coming. It is better now, for all.

Oh man I miss this

[MENTION=4905]djshauny1[/MENTION] - You making it sound like I died! Haha. Trust me I've been lurking like crazy here. Just don't have the time as much to contribute like I'd want to, unfortunately.

You guys can't get rid of me easily. EVIL PETE FOREVER!1

Hows things going at Crytek mate?
              Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Holy balls. It's been so long. I still remember when I first came here, after reading about Alan Wake in a game news magazine. Back then, we were just a fan community. No, wait. We were never "just a fan community", were we? Haha.

It's been some great years. And I both wish and believe that Remedy will go far. Quantum Break looks awesome, and if we ever get to see a continuation of Alan's adventures, that'll be amazing too. But no matter which direction we head, you can always count on Remedy to pull it off.

Big cheers to Pete for bringing us all together. Another big thanks to Maddie for all the time he put in with us during Pete's downtime. Thanks to my fellow Moderators for all the hard work and fun we've had. Thanks, naturally, to Remedy that keep making awesome games and know how to engage the community. And, of course, thanks to all the fans out there. This community is always going to be in my heart.
                "So, where shouldn't I go so that I don't turn the power back on, accidentally?"

Comment

Working...
                X