Alan Wake and Texture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake and Texture

So I was playing Alan Wake last night to distance myself from Quantum Break. I never quite got why Quantum Break never clicked on me the same way Alan Wake or Max Payne did. Somewhere deep down there was a game I wanted to love but couldn't.

Then it dawned on me. The texture.

...or not really the texture. It's a mix of game feel and general design and partially the gameplay and level design and, well, you'll hopefully get what I mean later on.

Anyways, Alan Wake always felt very personal. You could always feel the creative effort of all the people behind the game very clearly. There was a sort of garageband-esque passion of doing the best you can. The seven years of working on a project day in and day out to polish the everliving crap out of it. Quantum Break lacks this. Yes, it's still a narrative-focused third person shooter/action adventure game made by Remedy, but it doesn't feel right. Somewhere along the lines, the "Remedy feel" was lost. It became sort of corporate and metallic. It lacks the heartfelt passion of Alan Wake and Max Payne.

I heard that Quantum Break's concept and basic ideas came mostly from Microsoft, and that Remedy was merely hired to make the game, and maybe sell it with their brand. I don't know whether any of this is true or not, but you can still sort of fell that. Quantum Break had the biggest team of people working on it Remedy had ever seen before. The project united talented people from both Microsoft and Remedy, so it's obvious that literally everyone won't get their say on things. But still...

I hope you know what you're doing Remedy. With the two upcoming projects, one being another partnership effort, I wish the best of luck on your future. Just please, don't forget who you are as a company.
    The "Alan Wake development history" fanatic strikes again!

Originally posted by CatoNator View Post
    I heard that Quantum Break's concept and basic ideas came mostly from Microsoft, and that Remedy was merely hired to make the game, and maybe sell it with their brand. I don't know whether any of this is true or not, but you can still sort of fell that. Quantum Break had the biggest team of people working on it Remedy had ever seen before. The project united talented people from both Microsoft and Remedy, so it's obvious that literally everyone won't get their say on things. But still...
    If I remember correctly, the original idea for Quantum Break grew from the prototype for Alan Wake 2. In their interview with Polygon, Remedy spoke about showing their prototype demo to Microsoft but at that point it didn't quite click; which is why you get a lot of comments from Remedy about the "time being not quite right" for Wake's sequel. At the same time the developers were experimenting with other concepts, one of which was an early idea for Quantum Break (which branched off from Wake), and that was something which Microsoft was interested in for their portfolio. Especially as television and the idea of an "all-in-one entertainment console" was a huge focus for Microsoft with regards to the XBOX One at the time, QB was a perfect title for them.

As for the feel of the games, I really love them both, but there's something very specific to Alan Wake which I've been trying to pin point... I think I might have it. (It may also be a stupid suggestion, so brace yourself!) There's something very Finnish to it in a way that Max Payne and Quantum Break doesn't have as much. In Alan Wake, there's a greater emphasis of nature and being outdoors and long nights and wooden cabins, (and coffee); things are things which I associate with Finland, and especially in the Summer (...excluding "long nights").

I was in Helsinki in July and for a few days I stayed in a cabin a few hours away from the city centre. During the evening when the sun was going behind the trees, I went for a walk and took a torch just in case. There was this weird sense of déjà vu when I was heading back and there were already stars out, and the cabin was lit up, and I had my torch and I was reading on my Kindle. It was a pretty surreal experience. ALSO! For Poets of the Fall's music video for War, I'm pretty sure (99% sure... I hope) was filmed in Finland, but representing Bright Falls. So there is definitely that kind of personal vibe to the game, which is wonderful! I really like that. And I get the feeling that it's one of the reasons why it's a personal game for many people at Remedy as well. Well, that and they own the IP.

Saying that, I grew up on a huge amount of science fiction, my family's living room has a poster of the Galaxy class Enterprise, so Quantum Break appeals to me on that geek wavelength too.
    Last edited by Jaden; 11-12-2016, 06:05 PM.
    The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

OMG! CatoNator, thank you! This is probably the most honest comment I have red in a while... I cannot agree more of all you said

Still hoping for Alan Wake 2!
      Last edited by thermos; 11-12-2016, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Quantum Break reminds me unique atmosphere from old science fiction stories like Arthur's Clarke tales, maybe Ray's Bradbury. This project includes really great futuristic design (as visual component) and impressive scenario (as usual of course)). When I saw it at the first time I said: "Wow! Look at this! The game process and the movie pieces after ever your choice!" I love it, seriously. And like Jaden said it's good Microsoft marketing course ("all-in-one entertainment console"). The video game industry in my country (Russia) is not popular, so it's really an interesting experience in marketing - how it develops and used in various areas. Remedy did a good job on this. Quantum Break is completely different than Alan Wake or Max Payne, it's pleasure to see that their projects are various. The company develops and reveals interesting things, the right things. It is not always what we want, but it's what company need for further steps.

As for Alan Wake story... I think it's not surprising that it is personal for me - like for for many of us. This atmosphere, pictures, lanscapes, images - everytime this game gives unforgettable emotions that make you forget about the reality and be absorbed into the world between light and darkness. It's kinda magic) I grew up in the small city, where nature has particular importance which includes a mystical significance. Our legends has a vivid flavour. Something strange, enigmatic but interesting and historical. I think it has a great influence on the interest in this game. And again - as for me at the first place AW is a good book, fantasy, mystic tale - and true story about the human strength of mind, our devotion and love. At the same time. I appreciate it very much.

If Quantum Break - a science, Alan Wake - is the nature. They are very similar, but still different. I think it's great - Remedy gave us the opportunity to see two different stories and in one of them they put some easter eggs)

I am also pleased that the company is looking for new solutions and new ways of creativity. And of course I hope for the continuation of the Alan's story too - like the others. But it does not exclude the possibility that I will gladly accept any game from Remedy, because I really interested what else they will do

Please, forgive any errors in my text, 'cause my English is not so good T_T
        Last edited by aleoo.w; 11-15-2016, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Heh, I guess my issue with Quantum Break comes from the way I see sci-fi - I like the bleepy bloopy lights and green CRT monitors and dimly lit metallic white hallways of Aliens and that sort of stuff. This sort of sci-fi fantasy in modern times isn't really my piece of cake then.

Now that you people say it, there is some very distinctively Finnish about Alan Wake. From the gloomy pine forests to the monsters lurking in the dark, originating from old folk stories, to the weapon designs. Alan Wake also has a very old, 90's TV series vibe to it, coated in modern action. It's rather unique.

Quantum Break is this more modern Hollywood action movie spectacle (thinking back, that's what Sam Lake said prior to the game's release. I don't know what I was expecting). That coat of uniqueness might be why Alan Wake didn't sell so well, so the more western/American QB sold better.

And it wasn't released on the same day as Red Dead Redemption.
          The "Alan Wake development history" fanatic strikes again!

Comment

Originally posted by CatoNator View Post
            I heard that Quantum Break's concept and basic ideas came mostly from Microsoft, and that Remedy was merely hired to make the game, and maybe sell it with their brand.
            Nope, it was all us, for better or worse. =)
            Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

"We don’t want to take five years to ship a game," said Paloheimo. "It’s been a long process, trying to transition into a two-team studio, but now we can make more games faster and diversify both financially and creatively."

The last word brings a hope

Comment

Working...
              X