what is alan wake ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is alan wake ?

Hi , what is this game about and is it worth playing in 2017 ? ( I want no spoilers tho , just what's it about like is it a horror game !? not my type if it is )

I’'m pretty biased towards Alan Wake so the more people who get to play it and join the community, the better. And it'’s a title that I always tend to recommend to people who haven’t played it yet. Usually those people have been into aspects of horror, and... I wouldn’'t necessarily call Alan Wake a horror game, but it’ certainly has suspense and horror elements. (Not like Silent Hill, Alien Isolation or Amnesia, but there is a supernatural element which intentionally threatening.)

It’'s always difficult to gauge people’'s tolerance to things like horror and violence, so if that’'s a concern one thing you might want to check first is the warnings for the title on IMDB. I use that myself for films or movies especially those I’'m planning on watching while eating, let’s say, pasta in a tomato based sauce kind of thing. (IMDB might have some slight spoilers, they’'re within the first 30 minutes of playing, so it’'s not too bad.)

Something which I personally do before I buy a game is check out Let’s Plays. I usually just watch a video or two to gauge the tone and avoid main spoilers, but it’s been really useful for me. I’'ve actually found some of my favourite franchises that way, including Alan Wake actually!

The Let’s Player that I watched was 666theheartless666 who sadly doesn’'t upload videos anymore, but he was the reason why I first found the game. There’'s also TheRadBrad who does great LPs too and who seems like a genuinely nice guy. I haven’t seen his Alan Wake playlist but I have watched…... I think it was Beyond Two Souls? Both LPers are very different but they’re both pretty good!

Also if you pre-ordered Quantum Break and it came with a copy of Alan Wake, the first level is a training/tutorial level. You can always play just the first part of that and see if it feels like a good fit for you.

As for if it's worth playing in 2017; well, the game came out in 2010 and then was relaunched on PC in 2012. There are elements which Remedy has clearly improve upon in those six years. But it feels very much like a Remedy game and it's one that I go back to regularly. And I'm of the opinion that if someone only plays the very recent games without going back some years, they're missing out on a lot of incredible games, the kind which influence the industry and the developers. It's a very polished game and I think it's aged really well.
    Last edited by Jaden; 01-11-2017, 01:10 PM.
    The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
      I’'m pretty biased towards Alan Wake so the more people who get to play it and join the community, the better. And it'’s a title that I always tend to recommend to people who haven’t played it yet. Usually those people have been into aspects of horror, and... I wouldn’'t necessarily call Alan Wake a horror game, but it’ certainly has suspense and horror elements. (Not like Silent Hill, Alien Isolation or Amnesia, but there is a supernatural element which intentionally threatening.)

It’'s always difficult to gauge people’'s tolerance to things like horror and violence, so if that’'s a concern one thing you might want to check first is the warnings for the title on IMDB. I use that myself for films or movies especially those I’'m planning on watching while eating, let’s say, pasta in a tomato based sauce kind of thing. (IMDB might have some slight spoilers, they’'re within the first 30 minutes of playing, so it’'s not too bad.)

Something which I personally do before I buy a game is check out Let’s Plays. I usually just watch a video or two to gauge the tone and avoid main spoilers, but it’s been really useful for me. I’'ve actually found some of my favourite franchises that way, including Alan Wake actually!

The Let’s Player that I watched was 666theheartless666 who sadly doesn’'t upload videos anymore, but he was the reason why I first found the game. There’'s also TheRadBrad who does great LPs too and who seems like a genuinely nice guy. I haven’t seen his Alan Wake playlist but I have watched…... I think it was Beyond Two Souls? Both LPers are very different but they’re both pretty good!

Also if you pre-ordered Quantum Break and it came with a copy of Alan Wake, the first level is a training/tutorial level. You can always play just the first part of that and see if it feels like a good fit for you.

As for if it's worth playing in 2017; well, the game came out in 2010 and then was relaunched on PC in 2012. There are elements which Remedy has clearly improve upon in those six years. But it feels very much like a Remedy game and it's one that I go back to regularly. And I'm of the opinion that if someone only plays the very recent games without going back some years, they're missing out on a lot of incredible games, the kind which influence the industry and the developers. It's a very polished game and I think it's aged really well.
      thanks for this , I'll give it a try [ actually low graphics are my concern ]
      I've played some games that involve horror at certain points but not directly like Witcher wild hunt
      and no I'm not only playing new games , I just recently played Assassin's creed brotherhood which is made ages ago.. it wasn't the best , but not that bad experience...
      it seems interesting to play , is there going to be a remastered version ? like what bethesda did to skyrim or Activision did to modern combat ( for more profit )

Comment

I read the title of the thread and the Jeopardy game show theme started playing in my head. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac View Post
          I read the title of the thread and the Jeopardy game show theme started playing in my head. Carry on.
          I read the title and thought: "Baby don't hurt me. No more"

I've put the Imagination in its Place.

Comment

Originally posted by LSKzane View Post

I read the title and thought: "Baby don't hurt me. No more"
            YES! Same here. Although admittedly I immediately thought of the Doctor Who meme which began circulating, following the 50th anniversary special.
            The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

Working...
            X