product placement - well done and not over-the-top

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: product placement - well done and not over-the-top

Absolutely great work. I didn't even notice there was product placement, but the world feel real.

Comment

it makes the game more realistic with the fact your torch is using energizer batteries. this is one of the product placements in a game i think actually adds to the game and just makes it more real to what everyday people use so to speak.

Comment

The product placement doesn't bother me at all, it makes the game more immersive and lifelike. It certainly wasn't overused.

Comment

I didn't have a problem with the placement till you were running from the darkness in the lodge and one of the TV's comes on with a happy little Ford/Verizon ad....Lol

Comment

I totally disagree with the product placements being well done. Seeing scenes where Energizer, Verizon, Ford, or even Sync flashing on the screen would be fine if it were not "placed". However these placements are staged to highlight the product, with either special lighting or imaging tricks to draw your eye to them, which then pulls me out of the moment. I spent good money for a game, and now I have to be subjected to things like these really irritates me, so much so that I tend to avoid the offending advertised product. I might be more receptive if I knew that the game was either cheaper, or perhaps better due to the funding the advertisement moneys brought in, but I see no hint of that. I am also stunned that so many think that this is OK. By allowing this kind of behavior we are only encouraging more.

Comment

It's all in the context of the story. Like a previous poster said, in this type of story that resembles so many facets of a Stephen King story, the "real world" influences make me relate more with the Wake story thinking that the impossible is possible. If this kind of product placement was in a game such as GTA 4 then it would just be commerical greed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hells View Post
                I didn't have a problem with the placement till you were running from the darkness in the lodge and one of the TV's comes on with a happy little Ford/Verizon ad....Lol
                Yeah that was a little weird. It seems like Bright Falls only advertises cell phones, cars and of course batteries and flashlights. The giant Verizon logo is a proof of this.
                KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

The television ad placement in Episode 4 was bothersome. The juxtaposition at that moment of a harsh, non sequitur, real-world intrusion into the surreal in-game moment was frankly off-putting and quite jarring.

The ad itself is not so much the issue (beyond ads just typically sucking ), it just would have felt better and made more sense if seen during a calmer, daytime exploration section, rather than a tense, darkness driven moment. The initial NY flashback scene, for example, would have been a better location for the ad, and a chance for the Wake's TV set to then be interactive for the player.

Comment

I think the point of the TV for the Boob Tube achievement was for the 'lulz' that it was during a tense moment, and you stopped to check a TV and it's for Verizon.

Like, you have no reason to stop your running during that tense moment, to watch that TV, so to take you out of that 'harsh' moment shouldn't be a big deal since, you, yourself, took a 'well deserved breather' just to even check the TV.

Though I agree it would've made more sense in the first flashback.

Other than that, the product placement wasn't that bad. I didn't even notice anything other than Verizon and Energizer. I couldn't even really see the Energizer logo on the batteries, and the only time the Verizon logo is thrown at you is when Alan answers his phone.

This is, except for the last chapter, where you have HUGE billboards for Verizon (several) and Energizer.
                    ~Secret crowds rise up and gather~

Comment

I finally got to the part with these....and I totally went "WTF?". It was a really oddly placed thing, I gotta agree. It could have been done a little more smooth than being chased by darkness and then BLAM " Hey hey hey, check out this commercial!". It would hae been better placed in daytime areas than right in the middle of "Oh shit, i'm running away!"

Of course I watched it all...but I don't want any of that stuff any more than I already did and I was kinda disappointed when it wasn't more Night Springs.
                      AIM/GT: BxB402 "Super perfundo on the early eve of your day."

Comment

Ridiculous. I absolutely loved this game and the only part of it I couldn't stand? The product placement. This does not make the game feel more "real". It has nothing to do with Stephen King putting real products in his books and that wouldn't excuse it if it did have anything to do with it. The two things are completely different.
                        The first time I noticed it was when Alan's car was the only car on the ferry that had any kind of distinguishing markings on it. However, the billboards toward the end and the TV ads were the absolute worst, completely breaking the immersion. I go out of my way to avoid advertisements, I don't want them in my games. Its bad enough that we have to sit through them at the movies.

I do not blame Remedy for this, I'm sure this is Microsoft's fault. But Verizon Wireless has nothing to do with making my game experience better. I know they tried their best to make these unobtrusive, but its nearly an impossible task.

Other than those complaints, Remedy did a fantastic job on this game and I look forward to more from them in the future.

Comment

Batteries - fine.
                          Cars with badges on them -fine.

TVs with ads and no night springs to follow up and placed in an unreasonable point in the game - Not fine. Though i can live with it. Did not enjoy that moment in the game and i was like "fail".

Billboards with massive single word ads that don't look at all like their real counterparts and look like an ad you'd put in a game so that someone playing a game could see rather than someone sitting at traffic lights could see = fail. Why would there be massive billboards for verizon in a small country town? Why? (Note: i haven't been to american country towns so feel free to correct me and tell me that you ruin the countryside with these stupid billboards).

I like the things that you use stuff.... e.g. you could have fridges (LG or whatever) and tvs (say a sony or panasonic or whatever) and cars (ford whatever) batteries (energizer) flashlight (mag) shovel (whoever makes shovels) etc. etc. etc. all kind of work. But actual ads... unless as has been suggested occur in the NY flashbacks with actual game content around them or available via switching channels aren't very immersive and feel really fake and took me out of the experience completely.
                          Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Darn, I'm a video-game designer - so I paid a lot of attention to the details, but I barely noticed most of the things people complained about. I even missed the 'Boob Tube' television in the moment - no time to walk around when the ENTIRE FRIGGIN' BUILDING IS BEING CONSUMED BY DARKNESS. Quite evil darkness, mind you.

I noticed the Microsoft Sync ad, several Verizon/Energizer ads, one Ford ad and thats it. Felt more like reality than annoyance to me.

Comment

Originally posted by MoldyClay View Post
                              This is, except for the last chapter, where you have HUGE billboards for Verizon (several) and Energizer.
                              Those were the only things I noticed, apart from of course the battery packets- but those were nice, because they actually looked like battery packets.
                              <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

I actually forgot that the flashlight said Energizer on it. And I missed the fact that Alan's car says LINCOLN on it. I did remember the Verizon on his phone though.

But yeah, the billboards were actually the only time it was like "HEY, HERE'S ADS" and it was in your face and huge.

I don't really see the problem, because I found it kinda funny, more than anything. It's something that's going to be common in games more and more, and we're gonna have to get used to it. Depending on how it's done, it does seem a little more realistic.

The only thing I didn't find realistic about it was the fact there were mostly just Verizon billboards, and it was the same one. There should've been more variety and more non-product boards for different things.
                                ~Secret crowds rise up and gather~

Comment

Working...
                                X