Ilkka Villi answered your questions !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ilkka Villi answered your questions !

"Thanks guys for the questions and here are the Ilkka's answers ... Special thanks to Ilkka "

"Hey all!

Thanks for the questions everyone, and sorry for taking so long to answer them. And thanks so much for the ongoing interest in everything related to Alan Wake. Itís great to see all that devotion and support. You guys are awesome!

All the best,

Ilkka"

WakeLestat360:Hey Ikka, how was working with Remedy and being Alan Wake in videos, like when he's in the Dark Place, in a crazy way? You know, i loved the way you act like a crazy person, you give me chills man.

Working with Remedy has been great. I really enjoy working with those guys Ė Sam, Mikki, director Stobe Harju and everybody else. They are all very cool, talented and hard working people.

Since most of my work for the game has always gone through all sorts of technical processes, itís been really nice to get to act as Alan Wake in those live-action bits as well. Iím glad to hear that youíve enjoyed them Ė it was fun going a little crazy. Hopefully weíll get more chilling stuff coming your way in the future.

Kranitoko and Demite:How difficult was it to be "Alan Wake" ? ---Do you have a particular technique for getting in character?

I consider acting pretty hard work in general. Especially in a process like the making of Alan Wake, thereís a lot of technical stuff for the actor to consider too. But on the other hand, Iíve had the character of Alan to play for so many years, that I feel I know the guy pretty well by now. And in many ways, heís not that different from me.

Maniac:Are you a method actor?

No, I wouldnít really call myself a method actor. I donít use one definite method in my work. People also tend to understand method acting in very different ways. I feel that itís actually nowadays a term used much more by other people than actors themselves. I like to think that Iíve collected myself a kind of Ētool boxĒ, and from that box I use whatever tools I feel are useful for the job at hand. I do very different kinds of acting jobs, and many times they require very different approaches. My idea is to constantly keep adding new tools to the box and to learn to use more efficiently the ones I already have. So basically my method is: whatever works.

But as a trained actor I am of course familiar with the teachings of Konstantin Stanislavski and what later became ĒThe MethodĒ in the U.S. And thereís a lot of stuff there that Iíve found very useful as well.

GunGrave TZA:How did you get the part of Alan Wake?

I got a call from a casting agency in the beginning of 2005 asking if I would be interested in participating in Ė as they said Ė ďsome kind of a video game thingĒ. I said ďsureĒ pretty much without the slightest idea of what I was getting into. So a couple of weeks after the casting I got a call from Sam Lake asking if I could come and visit them at their office. There they explained me what it was all about Ė although nobody obviously knew at that point how long the whole process would take, and how many different things it would finally include. Anyway, I think we all got along very well right from the beginning, and thatís how I became part of Alan Wake.

tondar20:What's your favorite food ?
    What's your favorite game and movie ?

I donít have a food that I could state as my one favorite. But I really do enjoy good, fresh food, and I like to cook myself. A couple of months ago I remember eating Basque pintxos that brought tears of happiness to my eyes. They were just that good.

My favorite game would have to be Alan Wake. I know it might be a little tacky for me to say that, but I honestly really really enjoyed playing it (and not in a narcissistic way). Again with movies, I canít name one favorite. But I love movies and watch a lot of them. I can mention a few though that I watch over and over again and never get tired of. ďThe Shawshank RedemptionĒ is one. Also ďOne Flew Over the Cuckooís NestĒ and ďDoctor StrangeloveĒ never get old for me. But I donít just like the oldies goldies, there are a lot of superb contemporary ones as well Ė just too many to mention here.

yogibbear:How do you keep your facial hair looking so awesome? (What's your morning routine).

The one thing that determines my facial hair is the fact that I hate shaving. I only shave my face clean if I need to do it for a part (and even then I usually try to convince the director and make-up person that it would be a good idea for the character to have a beard or a stubble). So most of the time I have some kind of a beard Ė and itís usually not nearly as ďneatĒ as it is in the photos that youíve seen.

Pickman:Has Alan Wake aided you in your career, as it did for the Poets?

Well, itís hard to say. I donít think that it has necessarily boosted my career all that much, since a lot of people donít even realize the amount of acting work that went into making the game (many people still think of me as just the character model). But whatís most important for me anyway, is that itís been a great working experience and Iíve learned a lot from it.

angelus0901ear Ilkka, did you meet Poets of the Fall? What are they like? If you see them, please tell them I'm so glad I played AW, because I heard their music that way and now I'm a huge fan!

I have met the guys from The Poets of the Fall a couple of times. Great guys that make very cool music! Itís nice to hear that you found their music through Alan Wake. Iíll try to get your message to them once I meet them again.

mapaan:Hi Ikka, what do you think about the relationship between Microsoft and Remedy? Moreover, do you think that Microsoft has reserved enough place to Alan Wake publication and marketing?

Iíve noticed that there are a lot of experts on this subject out there. However I am not one of them. I know very little about marketing a game. And even less about the relationship between Remedy and MS. So Ė as we say in Finland Ė I am not going to stick my spoon into this soup.

TannosukeGR:Hey Ilkka, My questions state like this.
    What were your greatest experiences in Alan Wake ?
    Have you played in other video games as an voice actor or as an motion actor ?
    And finally, how did you settle like this to be an videogame actor ? <--- This would be a great help for me, because I wanna figure out why some people are choosing the actual actors over random people.

It was just all and all a great experience. Itís hard to name just one or two top things about it.

No, I havenít worked on any other video games.

Iím not completely sure if I understood your last question correctly, but Iím going to answer it anyway: I think itís very important that a professional actor is chosen for the job. I consider my work for AW having been very demanding and hard, and I had a lot of help from my training and experience as an actor. So I like to think that a ďrandom personĒ could not get the job done.

GENE_BC:"Save Carmine" or "Carmine must die"? And why?

First of all, thank you so much for asking me this important question. As AnttiApina guessed, I am unfortunately not a huge gamer, and Iíve never played Gears of War. However, the definite answer to your question is ďCarmine must die saving CarmineĒ. Why? Because it makes no sense and so do I.

Larking125:Ilkka, How was your Hair styled?, As I am creating a Cosplay outfit and cant seem to get a decent shot of the hair style and cant seem to do it myself; Any examples that were used?

Iím sorry, I have no idea. The hair and make-up person always just does his or her magic, with the help of a lot of hair products, and thatís it.

Faroc:if there was anything you would change about this nigh-perfect game...what would it be?

Well, I donít think itís a secret that the facial animation didnít turn out quite the way we all had hoped it would. But Iíve seen some of the stuff Remedy has been working on lately in that department, and itís safe to say that the problem is solved Ė to say the least.

Jon253:What were some of the challenges of portraying a character that had a different voice actor?

We used different ways of doing things during the process, but a lot of times I lip-synched to Porrettaís voice acting. It was pretty tuff, I have to say Ė not only learning the lines, but also learning the way and the rhythm of saying the lines determined by another actor. And then having to adapt my physical acting to it all. But what made it easier for me, was getting to do it based on the work of such an excellent actor as Matthew Porretta. Towards the DLCís we also did more and more stuff the other way around.

Hadivilla:1. If you were Alan Wake, What would you do in the situation like that?
    2. What's your favorite scene(s) in Alan Wake?

So youíre asking what I would do if my wife went missing, things from a book I didnít remember writing started coming true, and hordes of vicious taken were out to get me. Honestly, I donít know. Probably pretty much the same thing as poor Alan. But I would do it running a lot faster and longer than him.

For me, the Well Lit Room -scene is something very special.

Maniac:Is there a part of the game you think was your best performance?

Do you get stopped in public by people who recognize you?

Canít think of such a part right now. Iím pretty happy with it all.

It very rarely happens that I would get stopped in public by someone I donít know. Finns are either shy or polite that way (or more likely people simply donít have a clue who I am). I donít mind people coming up and saying hello, but I also very much appreciate people respecting the privacy of others.

SierraJohn117:What would you do for a Klondike bar?

What PC or console(s) do you own?

Eat one. Iíve got a MacBook and an Xbox 360.
    When it's all dark...light is so precious, just like the darkness

Re: Ilkka Villi answered your questions !

Good stuff! Thank you Ilkka and Darkness.
    My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Awesome. They were the best answers answered by himself. Thank you very much, Ilkka.
      The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

He said: "Hopefully we’ll get more chilling stuff coming your way in the future."

Interesting. So we will see Alan in Remedy's next project.

Comment

Originally posted by Galactus View Post
          He said: "Hopefully weíll get more chilling stuff coming your way in the future."

Hopefully
          Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Awesome... this interview doesn't feel too much serious, you know, it's like a chat with Alan Wake. Ilkka, you're awesome man!
            "Now I am become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds"

Comment

He said: "Hopefully weíll get more chilling stuff coming your way in the future."

Hopefully we'll also get more Soneraman in the future. Soneraman rolls with style!

My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Stammy View Post
                Is it my idea or the car, where Ilkka sits, is a Citroen ???
                The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

I like Ilkka, I hope he finds a lot of success in acting.

Though I have no idea what he sounds like, it would be cool if he has a voice role in any future AW stuff. Maybe he could play the voice of Mr. Scratch, or better yet, model a character after Matthew Porretta and have Illka voice him. That would be all sorts of trippy awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Axemahn View Post
                    I like Ilkka, I hope he finds a lot of success in acting.

Though I have no idea what he sounds like, it would be cool if he has a voice role in any future AW stuff. Maybe he could play the voice of Mr. Scratch, or better yet, model a character after Matthew Porretta and have Illka voice him. That would be all sorts of trippy awesomeness.
                    Here is Ilkka's voice in Finnish.
                    When it's all dark...light is so precious, just like the darkness

Comment

Cheers Ilkka

Comment

Originally posted by Stammy View Post
                        Hopefully we'll also get more Soneraman in the future. Soneraman rolls with style!

Those tv commercials are great:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgwP...eature=related

Comment

a MacBook??!!

OMG that is sacrilege against MS, no lol just kidding

incidentally i want to find out your gamertag so i can add you
                          "This is the way the world ends
                          Not with a bang but a whimper."

-T.S Eliot-

Comment

Thanks, Ilkka, for answering my question!! And thank You, The Darkness!
                            What the Helheim?

Comment

Looks like we really know what Alan Wake has been doing in that lake. Saving dogs.

I think he's forgotten his wife ;P

Comment

Working...
                              X