Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demand for proper 3D Vision support (with poll)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demand for proper 3D Vision support (with poll)

I, as many others were officially led to believe that nVidia's 3D Vision was properly supported by this game. However support for 3D Vision at the moment is poor at best. You can't use almost any depth because it completely breaks the shaders, lights and shadows in the game and turning up convergence only makes things worse. Whoever tested 3D Vision functionality for this game obviously didn't do a very good job or the person just simply doesn't know or care much about 3D Vision and how it works (even simple things like how to change depth and convergence). There are many of us 3D Vision users (a lot more than one might think and the numbers are growing rapidly) who bought this game for it's alleged proper 3D Vision functionality and were severely let down. As it stands now, the game is better played in 2D and that is not what I bought the game for. There's been talk of maybe looking into the issues of 3D in sometime in the future, but I demand this to be a lot more urgent matter and give us proper (as promised) 3D support as soon as possible.
    Yes
    86.10%
    No
    13.90%
    Last edited by Joohan; 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM.
    i5 2500K @ 4.5,P8P67PRO,Corsair XMS3 4GB, nVidia460SLI+3DVision,Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD, Essence ST+AKG K601, Corsair AX 850 PSU

Re: Demand for proper 3D Vision support (with poll)

You know we are reading these posts; we acknowledge that there are issues with the 3D and apologize for them, and we have said that this is something we're looking into.

But we cannot fix this overnight; there are some issues that affect a far greater number of players and may even keep them from completing the game, and those have to be our first priority. Honestly, I don't think it's unreasonable that we prioritize our work based on the number and severity of the issues reported. (I think it would be unfair if we didn't.)
    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Thanks for the answer MikkiRMD, and yes i'm aware that there are many other issues you have to fix and are of higher priority, but the thing that makes us 3D users raise our voices is that we were basically promised proper 3D Vision support out of the box and yet it's not there. It's almost like you told us that the game will work fine with both nVidia and Ati gpu's but once we got the game it only happens to work with Ati's gpu's and that you'll try to find a fix for the nVidia users sometime in the future. Still I think it's wonderful that you brought your wonderful game for us PC gamers and for that we are very very grateful for. Now I just have to wait even longer to play it until the 3D issues are fixed.
      i5 2500K @ 4.5,P8P67PRO,Corsair XMS3 4GB, nVidia460SLI+3DVision,Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD, Essence ST+AKG K601, Corsair AX 850 PSU

Comment

I agree with Remedy's prioritizing, its fair.

I do hope that Remedy becomes one of the many 3D game developers who support 3D despite the fact that 3D gamers are often a minority at this point because with more supported titles it will gain in popularity and it will become cheaper and easier to get into. I myself game on an inexpensive 46" 3DTV (1st gen with tons of crosstalk) at 1280x720 due to HDMI limitations and view it from under a meter away and i consider it far superior experience from that of my last monitor, the 2560x1600 Dell 30".

Comment

I also agree that game breaking problems should definitely get priority, and that to do the game justice in 3d by completely fixing all the issues it currently has and bringing it up to official Nvidia "3d Ready" standard is not an overnight job.
          All I am petitioning for is to get 3D support off the "maybe" list in the patch roadmap and onto a "definitely" list I don't care if it takes six months, I'm still only halfway through Skyrim anyway!

Comment

I would not have bought the game had I known that 3D Vision didn't work. But instead you guys had said flat out up front that it does work. So what ever game fixes need to happen, make it happen. But if you think not having
            3D working proberly isn't going to effect your sales I would say your dead wrong. We read forums on sites like the Nvidia Forum, if a title is known on those type of sites as no good in 3D, well people don't buy it.

People even write articles about it. Se below

http://3dvision-blog.com/7246-alan-w...port-probably/

We also know when a broken title gets fixed the same way. Fix the title, get more $$$$

If you doubt the popularity of this technology than explain how there are about hmm, 20 different computer monitors on the market right now that are specificly made for Nvidia 3D Vision. Monitors that are about 50% more expensive than a comprable non-3D monitor.

Fire up Batman Arkum City in 3D, your jaw will drop.

Comment

Originally posted by jonainpdx View Post

Fire up Batman Arkum City in 3D, your jaw will drop.
              Then you will lose your save (bug has been there since release, even on the xbox 360) then Rocksteady will blank you and never answer even on the official forums
              i5 2500k@4.6ghz with Venom Cooler
              Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 with 8gb ram
              VTX 2gb 6950

Comment

MikkiRMD,
                you should at least update the info at the FAQ (http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7667). It still says there that "We have internally tested that the game works with NVISION 3D very nicely." Since you acknowledge in your post that this is not true at all at the moment, and there is not even an ETA for a patch that fixes these issues - which might well be so deep in your rendering pipeline that it *never* gets fixed - this is unbearable.

I bought the game after you made the above post because it said in the FAQ that 3D Vision worked well. Now I only found your post. Yes, that's right: you advertised this game with working stereoscopic support that the game just doesn't have yet. Naturally, I feel ripped off now. Please tell me how I can get a refund.

Also... if you really want to show that you acknowledge this issue and are working on it, I expect from Remedy that they will update all official information to reflect the acknowledgement of these problems. Otherwise one could get the impression that you *want* to rip us off.

Comment

I think it was just a mistake. ...and they've said so. With people getting their opinion of 3D from gimmicky 2D to 3D conversions movies and ultra dim, low end theater projectors, it is pretty normal for someone to load up a game with low depth and say, yup, that looks like 3D. When obviously to us 3D users, in reality, 3D depth in games is realistic, while in movies it often has the depth of a theater stage. Theres no staring down at the bottom of a cliff and saying wow, that looks FAR DOWN, giving you a feeling of fear, or giving a proper feeling of size to a aircraft carrier, like in a 3D game. People need to understand that 3D in movies, does not equal 3D in games, in fact most 3D presentations are a little different because of the effect different screen sizes, viewing distances and eye to eye distances have on the fixed 3D film. In games its totally customizable. Its worth mentioning that movies could be this way too if they would increase the depth and make different version for the theater and home.

That said, im hoping they fix Alan Wake's 3D, if only as a learning experience for future games.
                  Last edited by Libertine; 02-26-2012, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Yeah well said Libertine. I recieved a very nice and apologetic email from Remedy's support when I wrote directly to them (which is more than I can say for Steam support) and I do believe it was a genuine mistake. That entry should come off the FAQ though. I'm going to hang on to the game and hope that Remedy and Nvidia can make this a success in 3D

Comment

Originally posted by Natanji View Post
                      ...Since you acknowledge in your post that this is not true at all at the moment, and there is not even an ETA for a patch that fixes these issues - which might well be so deep in your rendering pipeline that it *never* gets fixed - this is unbearable. ...
                      I guess that its still possible for Remedy to get the game working in S3D. But there are a lot shaders which need to be rewritten and that needs time.
                      Remedy allready said here that there are bigger problems to fix at the moment. People who can't even fire up the game or have big unplayable issues.

We should give them some time for the S3D-support. It's not a "We fix it in one hour for you" thing. But I really hope, they won't let us down.
                      If Remedy works closely together with Nvidia, it should not be a problem to fix the S3D-issues, as Nvidia has clear guidelines for shaders in 3D-Vision. I've seen somewhere a PDF by Nvidia, with some of these guidelines inside.
                      Last edited by FlintEastwood; 02-26-2012, 11:09 AM.
                      i7 870 + Zotac 470GTX AMP! + 12GB 1333-CL7-DDR3 + Win7 64Bit + AW2310+3D-Vision

Comment

It's okay, everybody makes mistakes. But I think Remedy should at least take the easy steps to remedy (pun intended) the situation. I bought the game *days* after this acknowledgement from MikkiRMD was made.

You are completely right that fixing this problem within an hour is unrealistic. But it shouldn't take more than an hour, or at most a day, to update your own website/forums. You can't tell me that's such a big effort, we are not talking about a complicated technical problem here! But it's been four days since the acknowledgement in this thread, no change to the FAQ, and so I feel rightfully ripped off and want my money back. Unless you can guarantee that you will fix this issue within the next two months at least.

tl;dr: Making mistakes is one thing. Not even doing even the smallest effort to remedy the situation is another.

PS: Libertine, I don't know if you have tested it with 3D Vision, but I have. Even at really low depth it immediately becomes apparent in the very first screen of the game that the depth is totally wrong. The lighting of the lighthouse is not distant, but actually right in front. This doesn't mean that there is no real depth effect, but that the game is unplayable because the wrong depth information makes your head hurt and is only a clear disadvantage. You cannot compare this to cheap 2D to 3D conversions or dark cinemas.
                        It's at the very least really unprofessional if Remedy thought 3D Vision worked well, they can't have tested it for more than 3 minutes and must have really not looked at their own game.

PPS: FlintEastwood, I personally don't care about S3D, but only about 3D Vision. I think you're mixing them up.
                        Last edited by Natanji; 02-26-2012, 04:20 PM.

Comment

It's at the very least really unprofessional if Remedy thought 3D Vision worked well, they can't have tested it for more than 3 minutes and must have really not looked at their own game.
                          Well, if somebody is really new to Stereo3D, then it could be possible that he overlooks some details - especially at low 3D-Separation. I don't say that Remedy is completely innocent for the S3D-situation, but I think we should really give them some time. They are allready fixing the game (first patch is out) - so maybe 3D-Vision-support follows later.

PPS: FlintEastwood, I personally don't care about S3D, but only about 3D Vision. I think you're mixing them up.
                          You don't care about Stereo3D?
                          Nividia's 3D-Vision is just a technology to achieve Stereo3D. So you care about S3D too.
                          i7 870 + Zotac 470GTX AMP! + 12GB 1333-CL7-DDR3 + Win7 64Bit + AW2310+3D-Vision

Comment

Im pretty sure this will be one of the last things to be addressed.

Its not a high priority.
                            Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

You don't care about Stereo3D?
                              Nividia's 3D-Vision is just a technology to achieve Stereo3D. So you care about S3D too.
                              Ah, I was mistaken then. Thought that S3D was AMD's stereoscopy standard.

Originally posted by djshauny1 View Post
                              Im pretty sure this will be one of the last things to be addressed.

Its not a high priority.
                              That is exactly my fear here. I've already seen how long it can take a company to patch even "less-important" issues in a game when I got Bioshock 2. It took like what, two years? Too long at least.

This is why I want to politely decline from playing this game until the issue is fixed. Which is why I want a refund. But I cannot find any information on how to get one. Can anyone help me?

Comment

Working...
                              X