Alan Wake 1.06 update released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake 1.06 update released

We've just today released 1.06 of Alan Wake (and 1.02 of American Nightmare too)

Alan Wake v1.06 release notes:
    • Added a “Very Low” graphics setting to enable the game to run on lower performance GPUs. This disables MSAA and grass (that’s dependent on it) and disables fading between LOD levels.
    • Added grass draw distance slider - note that the HIGH setting now uses more computer performance.
    • Fixed Alt+Tab crash on some systems.
    • Fixed a very rare startup crash.
    • Fixes some cases where the game started to main menu but users could not select any menu entries. This was caused by the keybinds.xml being corrupted.
    • Fixed some cases of handling custom My Documents paths where game could crash if that was mapped to the root of a drive.
    • Fixed the minor DLC1 “black cubes in the mirror” graphical glitch.

Re: Alan Wake 1.06 update released

Good to hear the black cubes are gone, may I ask what caused them?

Also, as most of the "update roadmap"-items are resolved now the list has been deleted from the other patch thread, but the grass distance slider didn't make it this time. Will we see it added in an future patch?

Thanks for your ongoing support Remedy

I'm looking forward to the physical release of AN next week, haven't checked it out yet.

Comment

Err. The grass distance slider did make it It just didn't make it to release notes that went to steam...

Comment

Just tested it...

"Very Low" setting has increased the peformance from 20 to 25 FPS on my notebook - in the last scene. Good

I would also prefer that 800 x 600 would be added to the official list of resolutions.

Might help the guys with the lower end systems who might not always know all those technical -w800 -h600 shortcuts.

The whole game is perfectly playable from start to finish using this resolution Enforcing it almost doubles the frame rate.

Comment

Oh, good to hear, I only read the steam changelog, sorry

Comment

It's nice to still see support for the original game that's why you guys are one of my favorite Devs thank you love your games.

Comment

Great work Remedy
              Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Originally posted by ancient View Post
                Just tested it...

"Very Low" setting has increased the peformance from 20 to 25 FPS on my notebook - in the last scene. Good
                Yes, it really makes a difference on low end systems.

Comment

It's true.

[MENTION=257]MarkusRMD[/MENTION], you should consider his idea of including the 800x600 resolution as an official resolution selection.

I noticed that at the game "Amnesia: The Dark Descend" when I made it go to the peak(1440x1050), it did go really slow, like the framerate has gone to 5 FPS, and when I lowered the graphic resolution to the lowest, it did go smooth. This whole test was executed, when I used to have the old graphic card NVidia GeForce 8600 GT.
                  The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

[MENTION=4807]TannosukeGR[/MENTION] - it's a lot of work to get the HUD and menu elements not to flood on top of each other so we rather keep it "under the hood"

Comment

Originally posted by ancient View Post
                      Just tested it...

I would also prefer that 800 x 600 would be added to the official list of resolutions.

Might help the guys with the lower end systems who might not always know all those technical -w800 -h600 shortcuts.

The whole game is perfectly playable from start to finish using this resolution Enforcing it almost doubles the frame rate.
                      what are the specs of your laptop?

i have AW on the 360 but wouldnt mind it on the PC

Comment

Originally posted by Freezy View Post
                        Good to hear the black cubes are gone, may I ask what caused them?
                        Kind of obvious, but we messed something up in our rendering and the render target management... All of the render-to-texture stuff (which we do a lot - I recall at some point we counted we had 54 different render targets per frame) are quite different on Xbox 360 compared to the PC, so some glitches ended up on the PC version... Sorry.

But we did get it fixed! (Well, the great chaps at Nitro Games got it fixed

Samiv.
                        Lead Technical Artist, Remedy Co-Founder

Comment

Well, glad to hear that you guys are a promising group who can fix anything rather than the other fan-ditchers, who do not promise anything to fix their own problematic games, such as Elder Scrolls saga.

It's best you create your future games in PC version rather than in XBOX 360. :/
                          The game can take you in a journey of fantasy, cause your mind is the creator of fantasy !

Comment

It's kind of a "noob-ish" question, but my graphics card on my laptop doesn't support MSAA, and in this update it seems that MSAA is not required for AW to run. However, I still get the error message at the beginning that tells me my GPU doesn't support MSAA and AW requires it to run. However, if I'm reading the update log correctly, it seems AW doesn't require MSAA to run if it's on the "Very Low" settings. Any help? Or does AW still require a GPU that supports MSAA in order to run?
                            Awaiting Alan Wake 2 announcement... whenever it comes.

Comment

JakeBloom - right. Yes, we still have the MSAA detection on in the lauch. It's kind of a complex problem, we need to disable any other settings than very low if the card doesn't support MSAA and really don't have any built in way to do it. We'll see if we can do anything about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X