• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Lake's Announcement to the Fans

http://humblebundle.com/weekly

Re: Sam Lake's Announcement to the Fans

Oh gosh.

You really did run out of cash. I wonder how long ago you realized you couldn't afford to keep working on Alan Wake. It must have been way harder for you than it could possibly be for any of us.

It got really dark at the end there. I don't think there's been such gruesome nailing since The Passion of the Christ.
    Last edited by Ruuttu; 05-22-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I hope we see Alan Wake 2 or a game set in the same world as Alan Wake sometime in the future. But now I'm excited about Quantum Break. Can't wait to see what kind of game it is.

Comment

That was really good!

Certainly gave some perspective for me and hopefully for everyone else.
        The bit at the end was nicely done.

Now to see, what new the humble bundle will bring!
        KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

I knew it. So it sold crap. Was exclusive to MS. MS backed it before.

remedyim sorry to say but i think you are making a big mistake signing up with MS again. I thought you learned the hard way before?

Well its your choice i guess.
          Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Big respect to Sam Lake! Honest talk.

The ending was a bit cruel, burying Alan Wake like that. It made me very sad.
            My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

It's unsafe to make such conclusions without any evidence, djshauny1.

Alan Wake was a long project. It can be difficult to get funding for five years especially when the main character is a writer. Don't get me wrong - it's an amazing franchise - but it might be seen as a tough sell for some demographics. For all we know Microsoft might have been the only viable option for Remedy.

It's perhaps easier to get a deal when you're committing to a console launch title. That's what we're seeing with Quantum Break. Remedy will be right at home with the Xbox One and they can produce an exclusive fast. It helps the deal that they've already worked with Microsoft before.

I think it's easy to see that it almost certainly makes good sense from Remedy's point of view. There's no reason to think they're making these decisions like Max Payne in a green-tinted hallucination, but with clear minds in a calculated fashion, a bit like... erm. I can't think of a Remedy character who's known for being stable and a clear thinker. Is there any? I must be forgetting some
              Last edited by Ruuttu; 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Microsoft's entertainment executives killed one of the greatest franchise ever made for this generation. Xbox One's generic direction killed Alan Wake 2. It's a sad day for gaming. I cryed watching this video honestly and I don't even want to be in the place of Sam and the guys who worked for it to bury their "child" like this. Thank you anyways for that unique experience you gave us with AW and AN.
                And by the greedines and generic approach that drives MS now Alan Wake 2 becomes this generation's Half Life 3.
                RIP Alan Wake

Comment

Originally posted by Ruuttu View Post
                  It's unsafe to make such conclusions without any evidence, djshauny1.

Alan Wake was a long project. It can be difficult to get funding for five years especially when the main character is a writer. Don't get me wrong - it's an amazing franchise - but it might be seen as a tough sell for some demographics. All we know Microsoft might have been the only viable option for Remedy.

It's perhaps easier to get a deal when you're committing to a console launch title. That's what we're seeing with Quantum Break. Remedy will be right at home with the Xbox One and they can produce an exclusive fast. It helps the deal that they've already worked with Microsoft before.

I think it's easy to see that it almost certainly makes good sense from Remedy's point of view. There's no reason to think they're making these decisions like Max Payne in a green-tinted hallucination, but with clear minds in a calculated fashion, a bit like... erm. I can't think of a Remedy character who's known for being a stable and clear thinker. Is there any? I must be forgetting some
                  yeah but its obvious why it didnt do well. That plus RDR was released on the same day. I hope the new game does well though.
                  Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Originally posted by djshauny1 View Post
                    yeah but its obvious why it didnt do well.
                    What's that?

Comment

Well, when they first announced the release date for AW 1, which was going to compete with Red Dead Redemption, I knew it wouldn't go well. It was suicide to release an exclusive so close to the release of a multiplatform game that was hyped as hell! But, even if AW 1 failed to sale, why didn't they continue the IP as a launch title for the XBOX ONE? It already has a fanbase and having it as one of the consoles first titles, it could have been a commerical success! Anyways this is a very sad day for the AW fans. He is pretty much dead now. If Quantum Break is succesful, I doubt that they would want to revisit the Alan Wake Universe. Hell, even if they want to make a sequel to AW, Microsoft won't let them....
                      Last edited by edcar007; 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM.
                      ''Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there’s little fun to be had in explanations; they’re antithetical to the poetry of fear...''
                      -Stephen King

Comment

Glad this was put up. Thanks Sam Lake! I completely understand and sympathize with the inability to fund a full Alan Wake sequel due to the not-so-immediate budget payoff. But I still can't justify the purchase of the Xbox One based on Quantum Break alone, no matter how good it might end up being. Microsoft showed it's direction with the Xbox One and all of it sounds extremely disappointing and with the tidbits of information floating about with regards to the type of games that will be exclusive to it, there isn't a single intriguing game but Quantum Break.

So sadly, there is a very strong chance I'll have to bow out of this Remedy experience. I just hope that if Quantum Break becomes a huge hit, that you will still be willing to continue Alan Wake right after it instead of work on Quantum Break sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by KoulisHHH View Post
                          Microsoft's entertainment executives killed one of the greatest franchise ever made for this generation. Xbox One's generic direction killed Alan Wake 2. It's a sad day for gaming. I cryed watching this video honestly and I don't even want to be in the place of Sam and the guys who worked for it to bury their "child" like this.
                          Did we watch the same video? Alan Wake's sales had more to do with them shelving Alan Wake 2 than the direction of the Xbox. And it seems kind of clear that that's what they planned, to shelve the game and do it later.

Comment

The biggest problem with Alan Wake... that it was not "psychological" at all.

My honest opinion.

Anyway, purchased the bundle to get the collector items

Comment

So I've just browsed through some of the stuff.
                              Very interesting indeed! The screenplay for example has some minor changes. There is some concept art that's quite interesting too.

Check it out!

One last thing about Wake. I believe what truly set out this game from others, was the premise itself.

The mystery, the forest, the quirky characters.
                              Heck I criticized the game a lot back then, but looking back now, it's certainly easy to notice the differences between this and third person shooters.

So I truly hope that Quantum Break will be a success.
                              There's not really much to go based on the teaser itself, but hopefully it's not just another disaster day film set on a metropolitan area and the main protagonist is a loving father of two childern.

Nah, I'm sure Remedy will suprise us. I really hope to see the same sort of twists and the odd moments that Alan Wake had.

Start counting days to E3, because this game is going to hit big.

Lastly, when the time will come for the sequel, it's certainly going to blow many away. I remember the chat going crazy back in E3 2009. Alan Wake had been gone for nearly four years by then!

Wow, even THAT moment was almost four years old. Look where we are now! Here's hoping that four years from now, we are all waiting here on this very forum hoping to see Wake 2 for the first time.

Now that is something to truly wait for!
                              KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Working...
                              X