Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pgoblem with game on Russian Windows 8 (may be others system languages too)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pgoblem with game on Russian Windows 8 (may be others system languages too)

Good day!

After installing steam version of Alan Wake I've got error:

------
    File IO failure: createDirectoryFailed, error code 5

D:\Users\Наиль\
    ------

PS:
    1. Symbols after D:\Users\ shown exactly as they shown in error message
    2. I have Russian version of Windows 8
    3. I have Russian user name in OS
    4. Feel free to ask about anything needed for troubleshooting this bug

Re: Pgoblem with game on Russian Windows 8 (may be others system languages too)

Do you not have a steam Directory? First time installing steam?
    Cause it should be similar to this: G:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Alan Wake.

If you do not have steam installed before you install AW i would try to install steam first. Then try to install AW.

I would see if installing on another hard drive helps too as your hard drive may be failing. Weird things like that happen when the system can not write properly to the hard drive.
    ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
    32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

1. Steam works fine. Other games works without any errors.
      2. Steam installed to D:\Games\Steam
      3. HDD works fine. CHKDSK d: /f /v /x /r completes wihtout errors.

It seems to software error in AlanWake game, because game can not understand User profile path (D:\Users\Иван\). Game seen it as D:\Users\НаилŒ\ and can not write to this path because they wrong.

Comment

Yep, it probably wants to create Remedy\AlanWake\resolution.xml under your documents folder.

Obviously, you could try creating a new user account with a simple alphanumeric name, and running the game as that user.

For what it's worth, I can report that Alan Wake DOES support special characters in usernames on my system running Windows 8.1 x64

Comment

Yes, I'm playing now with this workaround, but it's so annoying switch user to play games only

Comment

Same problem here - it was first reported 3 years ago, almost on game launch! Is there really no oficial solution? I prefer to ask for a refund through steam than to create a new user just for it. Infuriating!

Comment

Working...
            X