Details: A discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Details: A discussion

First of all, I want to say that as an owner of the LCE of Alan Wake, it is possibly the best game I have ever played. I'm currently in the middle of my 3rd play through, and I am constantly awestruck by the amount of details the devs managed to squeeze in the game. However, many of the details of the game, whether recognizably plot centric or not, are left as mysteries.
    The aim of this thread is to provide an open discussion where players can post the elements of the game they felt were left as "mysteries" or that simply blew their mind when they realized it, and provide their theories on any previously mentioned detail of the game.

To get things started, something I only noticed on my 2nd time round was that the image of a single eye was actually a recurring one. First in the cabin in the nightmare on (all the TV's), secondly there is a quick shot of it amongst others just before Alan wakes up in the car crash, and thirdly just before Alice swims to the surface in the ending. I can't help but feel that there's a connection there.

Speculate away...
    Last edited by Max Zane; 06-13-2010, 04:44 AM.
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if that wood chuck was Chuck Norris?

Re: Details: A discussion

Well, I'm part way into my second time through and I noticed (i) the Alan Wake missing posters in the tutorial, (ii) The big photo of someone (presumably Tom) in a diving suit suring the tutorial, (iii) the Photo of someone (presumably Tom) in a diving suit in the cabin, (iv) I now understand the relevance of "The island had once been the setting for a love story".

Comment

*sigh*

We've been over the eye thing in dozens of threads, and Remedy have already confirmed that Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Ed321 View Post
        *sigh*

We've been over the eye thing in dozens of threads, and Remedy have already confirmed that Spoiler:
        No, no!

Spoiler:
        Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
          No, no!

Spoiler:
          Don't be ridiculous

Spoiler:

Also,

Spoiler:
          Last edited by Ed321; 06-13-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

*sigh*

No, no!

Spoiler:
            Don't be ridiculous

Spoiler:

Also,

Spoiler:
            Spoiler:
            That's no ordinary sword. In my hands it guarantees freedom.

Comment

In a slighty back on topic discussion "the eye thing" also shows up once or twice in the second episode of Bright Falls, specifically during that crazy flashback sequence.

<I would make a joke here but I know nothing of Lord of the Ring.>
              You are a Taken, hu? How do you like taking bullets?!

Comment

Originally posted by Injured View Post
                In a slighty back on topic discussion "the eye thing" also shows up once or twice in the second episode of Bright Falls, specifically during that crazy flashback sequence.

<I would make a joke here but I know nothing of Lord of the Ring.>
                Personally, I'm skeptical as to whether there's any deeper meaning to the eye-imagery. At best I guess it could be a nod to the idea that what either we the reader/player/audience or Alan observe during the course of the narrative is highly subjective - tying in with the concept of the artist shaping the world around them both figuratively and (via Cauldron Lake/The Dark Place/whatever) literally. Alternatively it might be read as an omen of the big reveal at the end of Episode 4. Or simply an implicit warning of the Dark Presence's quasi-omniscience.

I dunno.

Comment

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by ak1287 View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    While this may be true (and by the way i miss your scent), i fear this topic may meet a closing fate..

Comment

It could also be something about the events being "watched" by an outside observer, in that it's a story within a story. Someone's always watching because whatever's going on, someone is writing, reading, or (in real life) playing it. Even when Alan is "alone" somewhere, he's really not, because either the author (also him? Zane?) or the reader (him? Us?), or the player (us) is "with" him.

Comment

It could also be something about the events being "watched" by an outside observer, in that it's a story within a story. Someone's always watching because whatever's going on, someone is writing, reading, or (in real life) playing it. Even when Alan is "alone" somewhere, he's really not, because either the author (also him? Zane?) or the reader (him? Us?), or the player (us) is "with" him.
                        My god. It's all so clear now.

Spoiler:

Comment

Wow, I honestly never took the time to see all the LotR connections, congrats =)
                          (then again, the flaming eye of mordor never failed to make me lol)
                          How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if that wood chuck was Chuck Norris?

Comment

My god. It's all so clear now.

Spoiler:
                            Further proof of this theory:

Spoiler:

=)

Comment

If all your theories are correct, then I bid you these questions:

Who is Frodo?
                              Who is Bilbo?
                              Who is Aragorn?
                              Who is Saruman?

and most importantly, which family of hobbits are the people of Bright Falls? Proudfeet?

Comment

Working...
                              X