The Brown Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brown Car

I'm curious to see if anyone else picked up on this...

At the very beginning of the game, while your inside Alan's Dream of hitting the hitchhiker, did you notice what car he was driving?

Seems pretty simple, just a brown Oldsmobile style car. Doesn't seem like anything significant at first until the next scene when your on the ferry headed towards Bright Falls. Alan and Alice get out of a red SUV...it was just a dream after all and yet, there's the brown car parked right behind you. I immediately noticed this and it seemed very strange to me. Also worth mentioning is even though you don't know it at the time the man standing next to it turns out to be Mott, the guy who lies about kidnapping Alice.

Anyways, moving on throughout the game I kept seeing this car everywhere and I had to take a moment to think about it every time. It just didn't seem like a coincidence. I felt it had to be significant somehow. If it was simply Mott's car that's one thing, as I'm sure he was following you around. However even after Mott is swallowed by the presence you will still see the car as you go along. Heck even late into the game as your making your way to Cauldron lake there's the same car again, all by itself, under the only lit street lamp. That alone makes me think Remedy wanted you to notice it that time. I mean your going to go there to activate the check point, and if I remember right I think its the last car you find before you cant drive any further along that road.

Of course in the end nothing about it is ever mentioned and no relevance it had on the game is ever revealed.

So was all this just a coincidence caused by a reused car model and I'm just over thinking things? Is it perhaps significant somehow? Maybe Remedy just put it there as an intentional red-herring, hoping you would think it was important? What do you all think?

Perhaps one of you Remedy guys can shed some light on it for me?
    Last edited by SHAD0WPR0XY; 06-14-2010, 04:26 PM.

Re: The Brown Car

Originally posted by SHAD0WPR0XY View Post
    I'm curious to see if anyone else picked up on this...

At the very beginning of the game, while your inside Alan's Dream of hitting the hitchhiker, did you notice what car he was driving?

Seems pretty simple, just a brown Oldsmobile style car. Doesn't seem like anything significant at first until the next scene when your on the ferry headed towards Bright Falls. Alan and Alice get out of a red SUV...it was just a dream after all and yet, there's the brown car parked right behind you. I immediately noticed this and it seemed very strange to me. Also worth mentioning is even though you don't know it at the time the man standing next to it turns out to be Mott, the guy who lies about kidnapping Alice.

Anyways, moving on throughout the game I kept seeing this car everywhere and I had to take a moment to think about it every time. It just didn't seem like a coincidence. I felt it had to be significant somehow. If it was simply Mott's car that's one thing, as I'm sure he was following you around. However even after Mott is swallowed by the presence you will still see the car as you go along. Heck even late into the game as your making your way to Cauldron lake there's the same car again, all by itself, under the only lit street lamp. That alone makes me think Remedy wanted you to notice it that time. I mean your going to go there to activate the check point, and if I remember right I think its the last car you find before you cant drive any further along that road.

Of course in the end nothing about it is ever mentioned and no relevance it had on the game is ever revealed.

So was all this just a coincidence caused by a reused car model and I'm just over thinking things? Is it perhaps significant somehow? Maybe Remedy just put it there as an intentional red-herring, hoping you would think it was important? What do you all think?

Perhaps one of you Remedy guys can shed some light on it for me?
    Hilariously enough when first playing AW i spent about 2 mins trying to get into that brown car when Alice said "we should get back into our car"
    Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Huh, that was interesting. Either the car was simply a nod (teehee) to dreams being influenced by mundane, day-to-day stuff, like the car Wake saw before taking a snooze...or Remedy just re-used the same car model in several places

Comment

Originally posted by Ed321 View Post
        Huh, that was interesting. Either the car was simply a nod (teehee) to dreams being influenced by mundane, day-to-day stuff, like the car Wake saw before taking a snooze...or Remedy just re-used the same car model in several places
        I thought as much too.

Anyone notice it looks a lot like the car Bruce Campbell drives in the 'Evil Dead' movies (same car also pops up in Spiderman, Peter Parker's uncle drives it, all directed by Sam Raimi).

Comment

That could be Alan's car and the other one might be Alice's. Alan makes all they money and she gets the nice car
          I'm Awake

Comment

Originally posted by Chillin View Post
            That could be Alan's car and the other one might be Alice's. Alan makes all they money and she gets the nice car
            Pff. The way all marriages work.
            "Oh, I'm gonna go snap some pictures and lounge around all day, you toil away on the typewriter and stress incessantly. Meanwhile, I'm going to use ALL YOUR MONEY TO BUY ME NICE STUFF."

Comment

Originally posted by ak1287 View Post
              "Oh, I'm gonna go snap some pictures and lounge around all day, you toil away on the typewriter and stress incessantly. Meanwhile, I'm going to use ALL YOUR MONEY TO BUY ME NICE STUFF."
              Pfft. Unlike Alan, Alice actually gets some work done on a regular basis. =)
              Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
                Haha, hey now. He's just got a case of writer's block!

Comment

AHA! So she is the devil!
                  Sarah Breaker > Barry Wheeler. Yep, I went there!

Comment

Oooooh, thats a burn, Alan just got BURNED...

Previously On Topic ...

I hadnt noticed the car thing at all, but Im inclined to agree its in the dream because Alan saw it on the ferry. Might not be true , but I like the thought of it.
                    tHe OwLS aRe NOt WhAT tHey SeEm

Comment

mabey remedy just got tired of making car models?

Comment

it's sam raimi's car

Comment

From the Alan Wake Strategy Guide (boy is this thing coming in handy):

In case you don't know who Larsen is, you know that area in episode 6 you go to with all the car wreckage and you fight a tractor and it's like a dump? That's Larsen's Automobile Shop, he's mentioned in a few things through the game but you never see him in the game, but it's suggested he's the owner of the car dealership in Bright Falls and most people there get their cars from this guy so that would "explain" why the cars look the same since those are the models he sells. The design reason is since Remedy likely didn't want to design a ton of cars.

And to add to it, PRODUCT PLACEMENT!

Personally I like the product placement like this...
                          Last edited by Dusk Golem; 07-02-2010, 10:31 AM.
                          Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Yes, I noticed the brown car as well...only because it was my first car when I was younger...thing road like a boat. I was checking it out on my first play, and then restarted once I got a feeling for the controls and the connection...spooky!

The game feels like a mix between Twin Peaks, the movie with Dicaprio (forget the name but it is fairly new - directed by Scorsesi), and the game Alone in the Dark. Also has bits of Silent Hill...Love it.

Comment

I have to admit being so dumb on this that I never noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X