Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Wake 's Darkness and insightful creation that spans works and time

http://www.destructoid.com/alternate...e-178178.phtml

A long but very insightful look into Alan Wake and the Dark Prescience and how it sticks with you, and the signs of the Dark Presence in our own world in creative pieces right down to missing wives, shadowy veils, dark crows and monsters at the bottom of lakes.

It also got me seriously thinking about the Dark Presence as a whole and how rooted it is into creative works and how they say in the game that it's always been there, under the public eye but making it's way to power through creative works... Creepy yet fascinating especially when you start noticing how much some creative works almost seem like they could be out of Alan Wake themselves. Touched by the Darkness much?

A force that's always there and even in plain sight, but slowly gaining power unnoticed by the ignorant masses. It's funny since I didn't notice until Alan Wake. >_>
    Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Re: Alan Wake 's Darkness and insightful creation that spans works and time

It also known as 'letting your imagination get the better of you'.

Sure, it was well written, but not very well thought out. The writer was making direct connections within very thin space of speculation, falling over the simplicity of the connections, missing completely the side of it that is chance.

One does have to keep in mind that artist use metaphors. When an artist sings "Dark crows fry on a wire", they do NOT mean it literally.
    Well, unless they're doped up and just writing BS that comes to mind.
    Most artist use metaphors to goad the listener / reader into finding out what their art is about, thus giving the sense of heureka to those who cannot find that childlike wonder of discovery anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hukka55 View Post
      It also known as 'letting your imagination get the better of you'.

Sure, it was well written, but not very well thought out. The writer was making direct connections within very thin space of speculation, falling over the simplicity of the connections, missing completely the side of it that is chance.

One does have to keep in mind that artist use metaphors. When an artist sings "Dark crows fry on a wire", they do NOT mean it literally.
      Well, unless they're doped up and just writing BS that comes to mind.
      Most artist use metaphors to goad the listener / reader into finding out what their art is about, thus giving the sense of heureka to those who cannot find that childlike wonder of discovery anymore.
      But chance and luck are not the same thing as intentional looking. Especially since before release a few of these sources were noted as inspiration, and the setting and enemy of Alan Wake is an enemy known as the Darkness which tries to free itself with creative works, even described in the game as a prescience that's always there but never to the forefront.

Sam Lake is a smart man, his stories in both Alan Wake and the Max Payne games usually try to go for a subtle theme of mythology, reality, or psychology. but the coincidence it would have with the House of Leaves and a few of the songs I know ar more than mere coincidence. Some may be but in the fiction of Alan Wake it can use a reoccurring theme of artists to it's advantage.
      Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

As I was anticipating profound insights, the article is certainly disappointing. I agree with Hukka- the connections are simplistic, delineating superficial parellels with minimal investment in comprehensive elaboration of these relations. His connections are done deficient of intriguing rigor-- construed easily through rudimentary knowledge-- and they are thus insufficient for being formulated without a substantial foundation.

[Edited to further clarify my opinion]
        Last edited by BrightHug; 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X