No announcement yet.

A Really Good Game, But Take Note...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Really Good Game, But Take Note...

Could it be that you have less breath on Nightmare? If so, that may be the reason. I always felt like the game was balanced more around normal and maybe that is one little change that comes with difficulty that was overlooked.
    To be honest, I think Hard and Nightmare are much better balanced. Normal is just too easy. As a friend of mine put it, Normal is Easy, Hard is Normal and Nightmare is Hard. That's how they feel.

I didn't find running on Nightmare harder than Hard. I just noticed that enemies needed more light and bullets to be defeated and you needed less hits to get killed. But then again, those Central-Park-rapist-looking guys with a sickle can kill you in one go on Hard as well... and for some reason they can be killed with a couple of pistol shots even on Nightmare.

Personally, I'd say that the only two truly nightmarish moments on Nightmare were the fight with Birch, Hartman's assistant on Episode 4, and crossing the blocked bridge on the way to Cauldron Lake on Episode 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Liberance View Post
      To be honest, I think Hard and Nightmare are much better balanced. Normal is just too easy. As a friend of mine put it, Normal is Easy, Hard is Normal and Nightmare is Hard. That's how they feel.

I didn't find running on Nightmare harder than Hard. I just noticed that enemies needed more light and bullets to be defeated and you needed less hits to get killed. But then again, those Central-Park-rapist-looking guys with a sickle can kill you in one go on Hard as well... and for some reason they can be killed with a couple of pistol shots even on Nightmare.

Personally, I'd say that the only two truly nightmarish moments on Nightmare were the fight with Birch, Hartman's assistant on Episode 4, and crossing the blocked bridge on the way to Cauldron Lake on Episode 6.
      Yeh.

To me everything was easy enough escept those random insta-death moments and a couple things that made Nightmare a little less enjoyable, of which I believe less breath was one.

It's like the difficulty setting is just a bunch of player impairing effects (maybe). Impairing player abilities is never really a great way to make a game more difficult.

My favorite way to make a game more difficult is more along the lines of Halo (Look, I mentionned Halo, hate me!): To make the enemy as smart and as skilled as possible without cheating. They basically scale the AI and make it more agressive. Some enemies also have more health or have certain damage resistances for kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by Liberance View Post

I think running from the Taken is actually more fun than fighting them.

It just makes the game more interesting and I think it's a really good design choice.

I totally agree! Constantly running away from the taken may get dull for some, but i think it adds that sense of urgency the game was missing. "Will i make it out of this alive? Who knows!!" It sure makes nightmare a lot more interesting.

Originally posted by Noccifer View Post
        Yeh.

It's like the difficulty setting is just a bunch of player impairing effects (maybe). Impairing player abilities is never really a great way to make a game more difficult.

Yeah, the less breath is a cheap way to make it more difficult. But considering the options, what else could they have done? Scenario: If you have a bunch of players who choose to run from most fights, would there really be a difference between ANY of the difficulties. It wouldn't matter how much damage the taken did or how much life Alan had because for the taken to damage you they would have to catch you first.

By lowering the breath on nightmare, they actually made the difficulty increase noticeable. I think its legitimate, you may not. Oh well.
        Last edited by TerraFin; 07-24-2010, 06:55 AM. Reason: Wanted to quote lots of people :)
        Clatu verata n....necktie

Comment

Well even on normal they eventually catch up to you if you don't stagger then with the flashlight, but you don't have to do it quite as often. The frequency is more adequate then.

No, I think if enemies are tougher and a bit more agressive on a higher difficulty setting, less breath isn't necessary.

The thing they could've removed was the abundance of ressources which basically encourage you to fight. If you have less, you run out more often, then maybe you'll want to keep most of them for an emergency and try to flee combat more often. Then if you run into taken like the one in the tree stump later in the game you can go "shit!" and crack a flare or try to take him down.

Idk, it's just my 2 cents.

Comment

To be honest I only run away from the Taken when the situation gets desperate, so I didn't notice any difference there.

However, in terms of damage taken/dealt, along with the agression levels of the taken, I found Nightmare to be an extremely satisfying experience. It was hard, but in a fair manner, encouraging different tactics from the usual choice of 'stand and shoot' or 'run past everything'. I found myself having to genuinely think about how to tackle a lot of the encounters in the game. Crossing the train yard and waiting for Spoiler:
            both forced me to play a control game, drawing or herding the taken into positions where they could only apporach one at a time or where I could maximise the damage from a single flare gun shot. I think that's the point really. If you could play exactly the same as on normal (which really would be the case if all you had to do was run, stun, repeat) then there wouldn't be any significant difference between the difficulties for a lot of people. As it stands, Alan Wake has perhaps one of the most popular (and certainly the most balanced I've ever played) hard(est) difficulty modes of any game in recent years.
            That's no ordinary sword. In my hands it guarantees freedom.

Comment

Working...
            X