• The Poem

The poem Zane recites in Alan's dream went something like this:

"Beyond the lake he calls home
    lies a deeper, darker ocean green,
    where the waves are both wilder
    and more serene

To it's ports I've been,
    to it's ports I've been."

I still don't get it. It connects to what Wake says at the end of the main game:
    "It's not a lake, it's an ocean.."

But why? I can understand pretty much everything else in my own way, but with this poem I am at loss.. any ideas?

Re: The Poem

Well, Thomas Zane lived in the cabin on the lake, and he didn't know that there was a connection to the Dark Place, "where the waves are both wilder and more serene." As a player, you have of course seen some of those wilder waves; the serenity, not so much.
    Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

Originally posted by MikkiRMD View Post
      Well, Thomas Zane lived in the cabin on the lake, and he didn't know that there was a connection to the Dark Place, "where the waves are both wilder and more serene." As a player, you have of course seen some of those wilder waves; the serenity, not so much.
      Uh huh, or course, it was Toms and Barbaras home, that is the part
      "Beyond the lake he calls home lies a deeper, darker ocean green".

And then the part about wild and serene talks about the Dark Place, and how it is.

But "To it's ports I've been, to it's ports I've been", followed by a question "Do you understand?", to which I answered in unison with Alan "no!". That I did not get.

And still don't. I get the connection now, but what was Zane trying to tell Alan?

Ah! He was trying to make him understand that the lake is the port (portal) to the Dark Place, right?

Comment

Hm. Maybe the serenity is something he can find now that his mind is clear. Zane has learned to control the Dark Place like one can control their dreams — so if Alan can learn to do this, the Dark Place could become a place of serenity that he could use to his advantage as he writes his way out. The danger will be back out in reality. But he can learn to control it — going back to the insanity metaphor, using his personal demons as fuel for his writing instead of letting them consume him.
        Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

I interrupted it as meaning Thomas had been to the Dark Place. It's suggested that Cauldron Lake is a portal to the Dark Place, and Cauldron Lake is based off of Crater Lake, and as mentioned in the beginning of episode 3 the Native Americans believed that Cauldron Lake was a gate to the Underworld. This is also a real life myth for Crater Lake, and both are lakes that sit on top of inactive volcanoes.

The poem suggests that beyond the cabin lake Thomas Zane was housed in there lied a deeper ocean, in other words, a place much bigger than the lake he knew he was on. The waves both wilder and more serene I took as meaning there is something very sinister in this larger ocean but at the same time it is serene there, as the Darkness has been resting here for years waiting for the chance to raise a storm. Thomas saying he's been to it's ports is because he's in the dark place, he's been to the other side of the ocean beyond his lake.

One thing I do want to see is more of the Dark Place, as while I know The Writer and the Signal take place in it, it never really feels like it's own location since it's memories put together, and as such it doesn't really feel like a place rather than a state of mind.

HOWEVER, it is suggested both Tom and the Darkness can enter peoples dreams, thoughts, and as the Darkness has shown it can take over people, and like Tom has shown he can manipulate dreams thanks to much practice. So maybe the Dark Place really is in something linked to the our unconscious mind...?
          Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk Golem View Post
            HOWEVER, it is suggested both Tom and the Darkness can enter peoples dreams, thoughts, and as the Darkness has shown it can take over people, and like Tom has shown he can manipulate dreams thanks to much practice. So maybe the Dark Place really is in something linked to the our unconscious mind...?
            i had proposed this idea earlier on another thread, and thus totally agree. bout time someone else came up with the idea.
            I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Moridin View Post
              i had proposed this idea earlier on another thread, and thus totally agree. bout time someone else came up with the idea.
              Why the lake then? Why all the mysticism, and why things only come to life close to Cauldron Lake?
              Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Hukka55 View Post
                Why the lake then? Why all the mysticism, and why things only come to life close to Cauldron Lake?
                Spoiler:
                My original idea was that the Dark Place was a sort of world of dreams, a place where the minds of all the people in the world and their dreams come together. Cauldron Lake acts as a physical portal to this place. The reason art comes to life around it would be that the plasticity of the Dark Place as a world formed of thought would leak through, allowing the world to be shaped through art and imagination.
                I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

I always saw the poem as the thesis for Wake's character in the game. This is kinda cheesy.

As the story of the game progresses, Wake starts to lose his mind. When he and Barry drive away from the lodge, he tells Barry that it is fine if you are crazy if you deal with crazy things. I thought that this was reflected in the poem, seeing that Wake's psyche is changing from a calm little lake to a wild raging ocean. And when Alan charges into the lake Thomas Zane called home, he has finally been to the ports of insanity.
                  So Alan is not a lake any more, he's an ocean.
                  Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

Oh and by the way, really interesting theory's above guys!
                    Do a looney-gooney dance, cross the kitchen floor, put something silly in the world that ain't been there before.

Comment

My original idea was that the Dark Place was a sort of world of dreams, a place where the minds of all the people in the world and their dreams come together. Cauldron Lake acts as a physical portal to this place. The reason art comes to life around it would be that the plasticity of the Dark Place as a world formed of thought would leak through, allowing the world to be shaped through art and imagination.
                      Ah, alright. Well, that makes more sense. And could well be the case.
                      Somehow I just don't think it is a coalition of all our subconciuous minds and dreams, that would make it infinitely more weird than it is now. Just think of all the junkies out there, dreaming their Monty Python - Beatles Animations - dreams.

Comment

Yeah, I think maybe it's more centralized to the people around the Bright Falls area, but somehow some other non-local people have been drawn in — like Clay Steward and Nightingale. There's a significance to the fact that they (and not a ton of other people) were drawn to BF by their dreams.
                        Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
                          Yeah, I think maybe it's more centralized to the people around the Bright Falls area, but somehow some other non-local people have been drawn in — like Clay Steward and Nightingale. There's a significance to the fact that they (and not a ton of other people) were drawn to BF by their dreams.
                          On the button.

Comment

Well, Clay is a writer, and alot of people think that Nightingale was a failed writer, so that's more than likely why they were called. and i wasnt saying that the Dark Place is composed of all of our thoughts and dreams, but just that they were connected, artistic people especially. I was also thinking that that one Night Springs episode, where the guy is killed by his doppleganger, might be a hint as for the Dark Place, and maybe Scratch. I want to say somewhere, guessing in a manuscript page, Alan says Zane once described the lake as a mirror to the darkness above. I think that has a two part meaning, besides the obvious its as black as the night sky, im beginning to wonder if perhaps the Dark place is a kind of mirror to our world, a world of thought that mirrors the world of the material. That would explain Scratch as Alan's mirror image.

Comment

Well, Clay is a writer, and alot of people think that Nightingale was a failed writer, so that's more than likely why they were called. and i wasnt saying that the Dark Place is composed of all of our thoughts and dreams, but just that they were connected, artistic people especially. I was also thinking that that one Night Springs episode, where the guy is killed by his doppleganger, might be a hint as for the Dark Place, and maybe Scratch. I want to say somewhere, guessing in a manuscript page, Alan says Zane once described the lake as a mirror to the darkness above. I think that has a two part meaning, besides the obvious its as black as the night sky, im beginning to wonder if perhaps the Dark place is a kind of mirror to our world, a world of thought that mirrors the world of the material. That would explain Scratch as Alan's mirror image.
                              Well, you do make some good points, plausible points, to be precise.
                              Its also a good theory you have here..

Comment

Working...
                              X