Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Poem

Originally posted by rick.flair
    Its good but doesnt seem like a poem more like a really long quote or something similar..
    it has a lot of emotion..i feel for u =[ an i hope you feel better.......
    What doesn't seem like a poem? You mean the poem from the game?
    It sure is a poem, mister.

Read more poetry and you will know.
    This poem from the game is a good example of simplistic poetry.
    Of course, if yous thinks that poetry is only the kind that the likes of Shakespeare and Tennyson wrote, then I would understand your misunderstanding here.

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
      I can't remember exactly when he arrived, but it was some months to a year later. I think during the ending cutscene, people were just focusing on Deer Fest and were in complete denial about what else had happened (and some actually didn't know about it). The deaths weren't reported yet and I think part of what the Night Springs "secret society" is all about is helping cover stuff up to keep people from panicking. Just my interpretation, though.
      Agreed. and also, me thinks the story of Alan's also started from where Zane "dispelled" the Darkness, as Moridin said earlier.
      And how did he get out of the Cabin? Maybe with the help of Zane? Or, maybe Alan never left the Cabin? Maybe he started writing then and there.

The story of Departure starts there, with the car crash, me thinks.
      That is when we no longer play as the Real Alan, we play as the Antagonist Alan, in the story that the Real Alan is writing, still in the Cabin.

And about the Cabin sinking.. no, I do not think we see it sink at all.
      I will have to play that scene today to verify this, but I dont remember seeing the Cabin sink at that point.
      Nor do we not see it sink at the Anderson farm, when Alan sees the events with the help of the moonshine.

But, I could be gravely mistaken here, so I will make sure before saying anything more.

Comment

The Cabin doesn't sink, it's shown in the end of episode 4 is kinda' went 'poof' and disappeared into black smoke. However, in some other scenes, it shows the Cabin lying underwater so...
        Sometimes the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Hukka55 View Post
          And about the Cabin sinking.. no, I do not think we see it sink at all.
          I will have to play that scene today to verify this, but I dont remember seeing the Cabin sink at that point.
          Nor do we not see it sink at the Anderson farm, when Alan sees the events with the help of the moonshine.

I was speaking of the moonshine flashback. When you follow the past Alan into the cabin, during the cutscene that follows, you see the island kind of break into two parts and then sink.
          I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Originally posted by Master_Moridin View Post
            I was speaking of the moonshine flashback. When you follow the past Alan into the cabin, during the cutscene that follows, you see the island kind of break into two parts and then sink.
            Ok, I'll take your word for it, did not have the time to play last weekends.

Comment

Really wish my Xbox worked cause then id be going over these cutscenes myself, cause im no longer sure where the camera is pointed in the end game cutscene when the day of Alan's escape comes. I can't trust my memory so now i have no idea whether my observation actually has any merit.
              Last edited by Master_Moridin; 11-15-2010, 08:44 PM.
              I like to bring a little irony to a firefight-Resistance member from Half-Life 2

Comment

Just to throw my input in on the original topic at hand...

"Beyond the lake he calls home
                lies a deeper, darker ocean green,

Here, Zane is talking about the Dark Presence's home beneath the lake. Could be a reference to the Underworld itself in what the Presence is manifesting from.

where the waves are both wilder
                and more serene

What he's saying here is that the actions caused by writers can be both destructive yet peaceful at the same time. Zane brought the Dark Presence in the form of Barbara which would have been his peace if it was actually Barbara and that's what his intentions were. But because it wasn't, the waves got wilder.

To it's ports I've been,
                to it's ports I've been."

Zane mentioning that he's been to the Dark Presence, and still remains according to the game.

Yeah just placing my input on the topic. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by MarcFirewing View Post
                  Zane mentioning that he's been to the Dark Presence, and still remains according to the game.

Yeah just placing my input on the topic. >.>
                  I like your theory on it, just one correction, if you will:

Dark Presence and the Dark Place are two very different things. Maybe you meant the Dark Place there?

The Dark Presence was the thing or entity that wore Barbaras face.
                  It was defeated (or was it, really?) at the end of the main game, and after that we got into the real Dark Place, the Cabin underneath the lake.

Well, maybe it is only the Cabin, or maybe it is more, this is something that we have not theorized extensively on yet.

Comment

Also, my original question was poorly formed. I meant to ask that why would Zane tell this to Alan, what was his motive?

He did ask "Do you understand?", was he trying to tell Alan that the lake is the portal? Why did he not just say so, why be so cryptic?

Comment

I like your theory on it, just one correction, if you will:

Dark Presence and the Dark Place are two very different things. Maybe you meant the Dark Place there?
                      Thanks for the correction, I'm not entirely sure what made me write Presence instead of Place, too much lurking probably.

Also, my original question was poorly formed. I meant to ask that why would Zane tell this to Alan, what was his motive?

He did ask "Do you understand?", was he trying to tell Alan that the lake is the portal? Why did he not just say so, why be so cryptic?
                      He probably couldn't just tell Alan outright because if he did, either: Alan would brush it off as just a normal dream and not even be able to remember it. (Mostly because if the subconscious is told something in a dream that seems alien to what the mind believes in, the subconscious brushes it off.) Or the Dark Presence was so wrapped around Zane that if he tried to tell Alan outright it would restrict it, OR...Maybe The Presence corrupted his saying into the poem?

No matter how much we speculate, there will always be questions. With the possibility of Alan Wake's season two, there will be more answers but it may unlock many more questions.

Remember what Alan said in the opening narration:

"Stephen King once wrote that 'Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear.' In a horror story, the victim keeps asking 'Why?' but there can be no explanation, and there shouldn't be one. The unanswered mystery is what stays with us in the end, and it's what we'll remember in the end."

So if I had to speculate what's going on in Sam Lake's head; it's that there will be no ultimate explanation at the end of what he's planning. We'll never know exactly the entire story behind the Dark Presence, or anything of the sort. So the truth behind the poem may never be known.
                      Last edited by MarcFirewing; 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I was thinking of something. Since Clay apparently arrives at Bright Falls a couple of months after the end of the main game, what if Alan did fix most of everything, but the damage Clay sees is the result of the Dark Presence resurfacing after Alan escapes the Dark Place

Comment

I was thinking of something. Since Clay apparently arrives at Bright Falls a couple of months after the end of the main game, what if Alan did fix most of everything, but the damage Clay sees is the result of the Dark Presence resurfacing after Alan escapes the Dark Place
                          Wouldn't he have fixed Rose and Nightingale, though? They're clearly still messed up at Deer Fest. And I think Alan is still in the Dark Place when Clay comes.
                          Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
                            Wouldn't he have fixed Rose and Nightingale, though? They're clearly still messed up at Deer Fest. And I think Alan is still in the Dark Place when Clay comes.
                            Hmm, I don't think we have any proof that the Dark Presence resurfaced.
                            For all we know, Alan might have defeated it for good. After the "death by Clicker to the chest" we don't see the Dark Presence anymore.

We do see Nightingale in the window, looking REEEEALLY morbid, but is he the new vessel for the DPres or not, we cannot say, yet.

Comment

It was just a suggestion. But in terms of the Dark Presence resurfacing, how can months have gone by and Bright Falls still be having funerals. And all the damage to the buildings. Seems like something happened to have happened more recently. And in the Writer, Zane says something about how he doesn't know what happened to the Presence after Wake used the Clicker. Kinda implies it might still be lurking around.

Comment

Hmm, I don't think we have any proof that the Dark Presence resurfaced.
                                For all we know, Alan might have defeated it for good. After the "death by Clicker to the chest" we don't see the Dark Presence anymore.

We do see Nightingale in the window, looking REEEEALLY morbid, but is he the new vessel for the DPres or not, we cannot say, yet.
                                Yeah, I meant still messed up from the first time. Though I do think the DP is still lurking under the surface somewhere.. even Zane seems to think so. I think it was more subdued than defeated. I do think Barbara was probably "released" as its face, though.

But in terms of the Dark Presence resurfacing, how can months have gone by and Bright Falls still be having funerals.
                                Well, remember there aren't any bodies. The Taken were probably first investigated as missing persons, which took a while. Usually when your loved one disappears you don't immediately go out and have a funeral for them — you want to believe they're still alive somewhere.
                                Fandomania.com // Raptr Profile

Comment

Working...
                                X