The Poem

The poem Zane recites in Alan's dream went something like this:

"Beyond the lake he calls home
    lies a deeper, darker ocean green,
    where the waves are both wilder
    and more serene

To it's ports I've been,
    to it's ports I've been."

I still don't get it. It connects to what Wake says at the end of the main game:
    "It's not a lake, it's an ocean.."

But why? I can understand pretty much everything else in my own way, but with this poem I am at loss.. any ideas?

• tomwhitaker
    replied
    Re: The Poem

Oh my good lord!

The new blog from Samantha in a town called Ordinary is something most exciting!
    From the new information from the possibly rewritten stanza:

"Frightened
    Of the shadows of the deep
    He challenged me
    To a duel
    I indulged him"

This comes as a prologue to the "To it's ports I've been" poem, and I think it indicates that Zane is still a creative force in the series. He isn't out yet. This extra part to the poem indicates Alan may, in fear, think Zane an enemy and fight him. The rest of the poem also now, with the knowledge of American Nightmare, shows how the Dark Place of Bright Falls is just a small 'drop in the ocean' in terms of how vast the Dark Presence's reign extends! Loving the tease of a new release, hopefully at E3!
    Last edited by tomwhitaker; 06-03-2012, 09:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Heruss
    replied

I agree with Urtog, it feels like a reference (and a bit of a get-out if Remedy fancy changing location, but why would they? NOBODY puts games in Washington!) to the way Alan can find other weak spots and come out in a vastly different place. He's moved hundreds of miles via the Dark Place after all...

Leave a comment:

• Urtog
    replied

It's not a lake it's an ocean... I see this as a reference to AWAN, there is more than one area in the world that has the power the lake does, he mentions it in a manuscript from AWAN. I think hes saying the power is much bigger than a lake and not concentrated in that one area. I was thinking about this backwards lol, I don't think he could have figured that out before experiencing the events in AWAN, but its an interesting thought about what that phrase could mean.
    Last edited by Urtog; 05-24-2012, 04:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jill
    replied

"Beyond the lake he calls home
    lies a deeper, darker ocean green,
    where the waves are both wilder
    and more serene
    To it's ports I've been,
    To it's ports I've been."

I like metaphors, and this poem is like a metaphor. What is amazing about it is that all that we’ve read here and maybe out there with the same topic is that they are interpreted in ways that brings truth somehow. It all depends on how they interpreted it and how they express it here and out there. I like all of it! I know that somebody has probably said this before, but at the end of the first game, Alan Wake said something similar:

It’s not a Lake, It’s an Ocean……..(echo: [SIZE="4"]Ocean[/SIZE], [SIZE="3"]Ocean[/SIZE], [SIZE="2"]ocean[/SIZE], [SIZE="1"]ocean[/SIZE], [SIZE="1"]ocean[/SIZE],…)

I guess everybody already knows this one. But just like the poem, there are also a lot of interpretations about this one, too! And they are also interpreted in ways that brings truth somehow. Again, that all depends on how they interpreted it and how they express it.

For me, after playing the first game several times, I have arrived with another interpretation. – “It’s not a Lake, It’s an Ocean.” – It’s one way for Alan Wake to tell us that “he” is f@cked; it’s also another way to tell us that “we” are f@cked! Alan Wake knows that his problem is really “Deeper” than he realized, so “he” is f@cked. And “we” on the other hand, we don’t really know what the f@ck is going on, so “we” are f@cked!

Not unless you have created your own theory! If you still don’t have one, then all you have to do is search, because it is out there somewhere in the deep, dark ocean green!

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• ScottPilgrimage
    replied

Hey! So I joined the site just to chime in my two cents. Didn't check the date on the thread, but anyway...I also didn't read farther than the first page because I had this idea I needed to get out.

"Beyond the lake he calls home"
    --Obvious it's the home of TZ and BJ.

"lies a deeper, darker ocean green,"
    --This is the part I wanted to chime in about. The deeper part is the 'magic' in the lake that brings artist's work to life. The darker is obviously the dark part of this magic that twists and changes the artist's work. Then the reason the ocean is green, has something to do with the idea of Green with Envy. The darkness wants to be part of our world, to destroy it, to live in it, whatever. Also take into consideration that Alan and Zane both were envious of a time before their loved ones were lost, and would do anything to get them back. Just a thought I wanted to add to the conversation Tis all.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Moridin
    replied

Originally posted by Hukka55 View Post
    He did ask "Do you understand?", was he trying to tell Alan that the lake is the portal? Why did he not just say so, why be so cryptic?
    Well, if it is possible to mess with the past with the power of the lake, or perhaps if dreams and the Dark Place exist outside of our time, then maybe he was asking as a test, to make sure he had entered the right dream at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• Hukka55
    replied

Originally posted by Master_Moridin View Post
    that makes sense

i was thinking that maybe both Alan Wake and (the hopefully obvious) Alan Wake 2 happened before Clay arrives
    Thumbs up to that.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Moridin
    replied

that makes sense

i was thinking that maybe both Alan Wake and (the hopefully obvious) Alan Wake 2 happened before Clay arrives

Leave a comment:

• Celeste
    replied

Hmm, I don't think we have any proof that the Dark Presence resurfaced.
    For all we know, Alan might have defeated it for good. After the "death by Clicker to the chest" we don't see the Dark Presence anymore.

We do see Nightingale in the window, looking REEEEALLY morbid, but is he the new vessel for the DPres or not, we cannot say, yet.
    Yeah, I meant still messed up from the first time. Though I do think the DP is still lurking under the surface somewhere.. even Zane seems to think so. I think it was more subdued than defeated. I do think Barbara was probably "released" as its face, though.

But in terms of the Dark Presence resurfacing, how can months have gone by and Bright Falls still be having funerals.
    Well, remember there aren't any bodies. The Taken were probably first investigated as missing persons, which took a while. Usually when your loved one disappears you don't immediately go out and have a funeral for them — you want to believe they're still alive somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Moridin
    replied

It was just a suggestion. But in terms of the Dark Presence resurfacing, how can months have gone by and Bright Falls still be having funerals. And all the damage to the buildings. Seems like something happened to have happened more recently. And in the Writer, Zane says something about how he doesn't know what happened to the Presence after Wake used the Clicker. Kinda implies it might still be lurking around.

Leave a comment:

• Hukka55
    replied

Originally posted by Celeste View Post
    Wouldn't he have fixed Rose and Nightingale, though? They're clearly still messed up at Deer Fest. And I think Alan is still in the Dark Place when Clay comes.
    Hmm, I don't think we have any proof that the Dark Presence resurfaced.
    For all we know, Alan might have defeated it for good. After the "death by Clicker to the chest" we don't see the Dark Presence anymore.

We do see Nightingale in the window, looking REEEEALLY morbid, but is he the new vessel for the DPres or not, we cannot say, yet.

Leave a comment:

• Celeste
    replied

I was thinking of something. Since Clay apparently arrives at Bright Falls a couple of months after the end of the main game, what if Alan did fix most of everything, but the damage Clay sees is the result of the Dark Presence resurfacing after Alan escapes the Dark Place
    Wouldn't he have fixed Rose and Nightingale, though? They're clearly still messed up at Deer Fest. And I think Alan is still in the Dark Place when Clay comes.

Leave a comment:

• Master_Moridin
    replied

I was thinking of something. Since Clay apparently arrives at Bright Falls a couple of months after the end of the main game, what if Alan did fix most of everything, but the damage Clay sees is the result of the Dark Presence resurfacing after Alan escapes the Dark Place

Leave a comment:

• MarcFirewing
    replied

I like your theory on it, just one correction, if you will:

Dark Presence and the Dark Place are two very different things. Maybe you meant the Dark Place there?
    Thanks for the correction, I'm not entirely sure what made me write Presence instead of Place, too much lurking probably.

Also, my original question was poorly formed. I meant to ask that why would Zane tell this to Alan, what was his motive?

He did ask "Do you understand?", was he trying to tell Alan that the lake is the portal? Why did he not just say so, why be so cryptic?
    He probably couldn't just tell Alan outright because if he did, either: Alan would brush it off as just a normal dream and not even be able to remember it. (Mostly because if the subconscious is told something in a dream that seems alien to what the mind believes in, the subconscious brushes it off.) Or the Dark Presence was so wrapped around Zane that if he tried to tell Alan outright it would restrict it, OR...Maybe The Presence corrupted his saying into the poem?

No matter how much we speculate, there will always be questions. With the possibility of Alan Wake's season two, there will be more answers but it may unlock many more questions.

Remember what Alan said in the opening narration:

"Stephen King once wrote that 'Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear.' In a horror story, the victim keeps asking 'Why?' but there can be no explanation, and there shouldn't be one. The unanswered mystery is what stays with us in the end, and it's what we'll remember in the end."

So if I had to speculate what's going on in Sam Lake's head; it's that there will be no ultimate explanation at the end of what he's planning. We'll never know exactly the entire story behind the Dark Presence, or anything of the sort. So the truth behind the poem may never be known.
    Last edited by MarcFirewing; 11-18-2010, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X