Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Alan Wake PC crash help

Hello very friendly Remedy technical support team,

Would you be able to give me some guidance or direct me to a thread that addresses this problem I am experiencing, please?

I have recently restarted playing Alan Wake on my PC via Steam after completing it on normal level in 2012 (same hardware as before, and the game ran flawlessly in 2012), now this time on nightmare mode. The game launches fine, retrieves the save game from the Steam Cloud, but within about a minute of starting gameplay (not during a pre rendered scene), it crashes, either freezing the screen image in place or going to a gray screen. The ambient background noise/music usually continues in the background for perhaps ten seconds, then abruptly changes into a buzzing noise. The keyboard/mouse are unresponsive, and I have to perform a hard reset the computer to end the crash. Upon reboot, the PC encounters difficulty starting windows, resulting in screen distortions, horizontal wavy lines, running chkdisk during boot-up, etc, and requires two bootup sequences, usually involving starting in safe mode, to get back up and running normally. Every third or fourth attempt to run Alan Wake I seem to be able to get beyond this crash-prone minute and the game runs well, but the hassles involved of crashing and going through the multiple bootup sequence just to get my system back to its initial state is getting tiring.

I have verified the disk cache/integrity of files, and uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but this has not fixed the problem. Video drivers and Windows 7 should be up to date.

Many thanks for any guidance you could provide. I would be happy to run more diagnostics or provide more information if needed.
    Attached Files

Re: Alan Wake PC crash help

Originally posted by NotTaken View Post
    Upon reboot, the PC encounters difficulty starting windows, resulting in screen distortions, horizontal wavy lines, running chkdisk during boot-up, etc, and requires two bootup sequences, usually involving starting in safe mode, to get back up and running normally. Every third or fourth attempt to run Alan Wake I seem to be able to get beyond this crash-prone minute and the game runs well, but the hassles involved of crashing and going through the multiple bootup sequence just to get my system back to its initial state is getting tiring.
    Sounds like you have a dying video card, over heating issue, or failing power supply. Upon boot your system should not do that and AW would not be the cause of a boot issue with the issues you described.

Open your case and check for dust on video card and inside power supply. Clean if necessary. I would also check connections and reseat the video card to make sure its secured properly to the motherboard.
    ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
    32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

Working...
    X