Game crashes after Remedy logo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Game crashes after Remedy logo?

Strange things are happening. I built a new computer and installed the game but cannot get it to play off of Steam, because it just shuts itself off after the Remedy logo clip plays. No message that says it stopped working, no freezing, it just terminates. The weird thing is, I went back and tried launching it on the PC I beat the game on originally (and on which the game was running fine a few months ago) and it does the exact same thing! Has anyone else had this issue and how did you fix it?

Things I've tried already are restarting my computer, re-installing the game, disabling the Remedy logo video clip by renaming the file, "checking the integrity of the game files" via Steam, running the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and running the game as Administrator.

I'd really, really, like to be able to play this game again

Maybe new graphics drivers are causing issue or possibly anti virus. Also, check you have Directx installed if you moved over to Win 10 found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Run that installer and try to run the game again. Also, check to make sure your user name for windows does not have any special characters. Hope this helps.
    ASUS P8Z77-V PREMIUM, Intel i7-3770K 4.2GHz
    16GB HyperX DDR3 1600MHz, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 2088MHz
    HyperX 240GB SSD, Win 7 64-bit Pro

Comment

Originally posted by arugula View Post
      Maybe new graphics drivers are causing issue or possibly anti virus. Also, check you have Directx installed if you moved over to Win 10 found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35

Run that installer and try to run the game again. Also, check to make sure your user name for windows does not have any special characters. Hope this helps.
      Tried playing the game with my anti-virus turned off, no change. Installed the DirectX web installer and ran it, it told me there was already an equivalent or newer version of DirectX on my machine and that I was all good. Tried the game after that, still no difference. All my graphics drivers seem to be up to date, even though both my computers use different graphics (one is NVIDIA, one is Intel).

I still find it weird that it is happening on two separate computers. arugula, can you confirm that your PC copy of the game works fine?

Comment

Did you try using a generic windows login with no special characters? Try uninstalling and reinstalling?

My game running just fine. No issues. Im using NVIDIA driver 385.69. Yes its a little out of date but i have had no issues with any games so far and I only update when I encounter an issue that the latest release fixes.
        Last edited by arugula; 06-29-2018, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Did you try using a generic windows login with no special characters? Try uninstalling and reinstalling?
          I assume you mean on my Windows computer. I signed out of my Microsoft account and signed into a Windows account using a password with no special characters or numbers in it, and no change when I booted the game I also tried uninstalling and re-installing and no difference there, either.

Is there any way to identify what what specifically is causing it to crash? Like are there some kind of logs we could check or some program that logs crashes for you?

My game running just fine. No issues. Im using NVIDIA driver 385.69. Yes its a little out of date but i have had no issues with any games so far and I only update when I encounter an issue that the latest release fixes.
          I'm using the most recent NVIDIA driver (398.36, I believe) but I don't think that's it because my computer that uses Intel graphics is doing the same thing when trying to start the game.

Comment

Update: I accidentally found that Windows has a built-in feature called "Windows Error Report" (WER) that has been logging each time my Alan Wake app crashes. I can't quite make out any meaningful information from it, but here is what the contents of my Alan Wake crash WER files have been looking like: https://justpaste.it/56won

Also Windows has been creating .dmp files that I am not currently able to read. Is there a way for those to be useful?

Comment

Originally posted by Omninano View Post
              Update: I accidentally found that Windows has a built-in feature called "Windows Error Report" (WER) that has been logging each time my Alan Wake app crashes. I can't quite make out any meaningful information from it, but here is what the contents of my Alan Wake crash WER files have been looking like: https://justpaste.it/56won

Also Windows has been creating .dmp files that I am not currently able to read. Is there a way for those to be useful?
              Possibly but i dont mess with that stuff. I would try running in windowed mode and try disabling your V-Sync. Other people have done that and it helped.

They have also lowered their resolution. Maybe try that too?

Comment

How do I disable my V-Sync and lower resolution if I can't get the game even to load up to the main menu? Where do I change those settings at?

Also, I tried uninstalling and re-installing the game a second time, this time with Steam Sync for the saves turned off, and no change. Still crashes after Remedy logo.

Comment

Also tried going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Alan Wake\thirdparty\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe and re-installing the DirectX files that came with the game to get no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Omninano View Post
                    How do I disable my V-Sync and lower resolution if I can't get the game even to load up to the main menu? Where do I change those settings at?

Also, I tried uninstalling and re-installing the game a second time, this time with Steam Sync for the saves turned off, and no change. Still crashes after Remedy logo.
                    Open NVIDIA control panel by right click on desktop, or by going to start menu and searching for it, or by selecting the icon on your taskbar.
                    Then go to adjust image settings with preview
                    Select use the advanced 3D settings and apply
                    Then go to manage 3D settings and select alan wake under the program settings tab. Scroll down to vertical sync and set to off and apply. If alan wake isnt listed for some reason change this under global setting.

To change resolution you can find that under display in the control panel or by right clicking on your desktop and select screen resolution.

Comment

Unfortunately, none of those seemed to make a difference
                      I wonder what it could be?! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with this and troubleshoot with me.

Comment

Could this have to do with a Windows update? Since nothing has really changed about the computer that was running the game fine a few months ago, there must be some reason it stopped working at the same time as this new computer is not running it? And plus it is running on a different GPU than my new computer is (Intel vs. NVIDIA) but still reacts the same way.

Comment

Boo. Try to go to your startup programs and services. Go thru them and see what is being loaded on startup. You can disable all non-windows programs and see if that helps. If both computers are doing it i can only assume you are having a conflict with a program running. Or may of well been an update via windows that isnt playing nice.

You can also look at your task scheduler and see what tasks load there too.

Comment

Alright, if that's the case then I will see if I can narrow down which program it is that is causing this. I did a full image backup of my laptop (the computer that originally ran the game fine) on an external drive and then wiped the machine clean. I'll re-install only Steam and Alan Wake, and then see if the game wants to run at that point. Assuming it does, I'll start adding programs back one by one that I have on my new desktop PC and then see after which one it stops loading the game up.

Comment

Wow! So I completely wiped my laptop computer and installed only Steam and Alan Wake on it. The only other programs it has are the default Windows 10 apps. To my surprise, though, it is still is having the same issue of crashing itself after the logo! What could be causing this??

Comment

Working...
                              X