• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarkusRMD
    started a topic PC Alan Wake PC - Graphics Settings

Alan Wake PC - Graphics Settings

Hi all!

This post is meant to describe the graphics settings of Alan Wake in some detail, and tell how they affect performance.

RESOLUTION - Resolution can be adjusted freely based on what your graphics card / monitor tells our game it can do. The game supports different aspect ratios too. Increasing resolution is fairly GPU-heavy as the game also increases the resolution of many of the internal rendering buffers.

Alan Wake needs a minimum 1024x768 resolution to run. When you first run the game, it tries to run in your desktop resolution unless you have a very slow system (there is a very light-weight automatic performance detection on the first run).

If you have low performance we recommend you run the game at 1280x720 or 1024x768.

VSYNC - You can enable or disable the vertical sync. Disabling it causes the game to render "as fast as it can" meaning your frame rate may go up, but also will cause the game to "tear" and the frame rate to feel more uneven.

GRAPHICS QUALITY - Low, Medium, High or Custom. A few pre-defined settings for different performance levels.

ANTIALIASING - 2x, 4x, 8x - defines the full screen MSAA level. 8x is pretty expensive for the GPU. Best performance & visual compromise is 4x setting and FXAA set to high. Antialiasing can't be disabled in Alan Wake, as the engine has been designed so that AA is on at all times. If you disable it from e.g. driver's control panel, the game will likely work but you will see visual artifacts.

FXAA - Off, Low, High. FXAA is a complementary post-processing anti-alias technique. It's not really expensive, but should be turned off on low-end systems. High uses a slightly slower, better quality technique.

ANISOTROPIC FILTERING - Off, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x - sets the texture filter mode. Makes the textures look sharper/nicer.

SHADOW QUALITY - Low, Medium, High. Low is meant for older, low end systems. This setting really affects CPU and GPU performance. Low renders one shadow region less and the shadow draw distance is small. Medium corresponds approximately to what the Xbox360 build does, and high has increased resolution and filtering.

SSAO Quality - Off, Low, High - Screen Space Ambient Occlusion is a post-processing effect that makes objects look like they fit better in the scene by shadowing the edges. Needs purely GPU power. High uses better quality effect and takes quite a lot of power, Low can look a bit noisy at times.

BACKDROP QUALITY - Low, Medium, High - affects the rendering quality of the game world's backdrop beyond draw distance (see below). A good compromise on a medium PC may be lowering draw distance but keeping this setting at medium or high, as the performance effect is not huge, but the Low quality backdrop can look a bit blocky.

GODRAY QUALITY - Off, High. God Rays from the sun are on only during daytime scenes. On a low end graphics card this can take a lot of performance for little visual benefit - it's a cool but rather subtle effect. This setting has no effect on performance or visuals during night time.

VOLUMETRIC LIGHT QUALITY - Low, High. Filtering and resolution of the Volumetric light effects in the game. This is a night time setting only. High makes lights look really pretty and is not massively expensive for the GPU to render.

DRAW DISTANCE - Slider that affects the landscape and object draw distance. It also affects the landscape tessellation distance which is a CPU intensive process. Minimum is 650m, max is 1500m during daytime and 1000m during night time. This slider has a large effect on CPU power in the game, but also affects GPU performance. Recommend turning to minimum for low end systems.

LOD DISTANCE - Slider that changes the distance when objects change from lower level of detail models to the high detail models. It also affects how far small objects are rendered. This can have a rather big impact on performance, both CPU and GPU power. Recommend turning to low on slow systems.

FOV (under control options) - Slider that affects the FOV factor compared to the default FOV. The FOV in the game is affected by aspect ratio as well as many in-game events (sprinting, boosting), thus this has to be a multiplier rather than a fixed angle setting. Our default FOV in 16:9 is about 80 degrees. Increasing the FOV requires more processing power both from the CPU and GPU - a larger area with possibly more visible objects is rendered.

-noblur COMMAND LINE OPTION
    This option disables the vector blur in the game. While we think Alan Wake should be played with the blur on, we understand some gamers don't like it. Disabling blur gives a slight performance boost. Note: Initial release has a bug that turns the blur back on at some points in the game, this will be fixed in the first patch.

That's it! Hope this is helpful. It would be nice to add some detailed/cropped screen shots here to show the difference, maybe someone here could help us with those after launch and a moderator could put them up.
    Last edited by MarkusRMD; 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM.

• criseldaolguin
    replied
    Re: Alan Wake PC - Graphics Settings

Well, like party crashers always say "Those who live in glass houses should not throw rocks."

Leave a comment:

• Breadbitten
    replied

Is it possible to set particle resolution down a few notches? The swirling walls of darkness in the final act of Departure wreaks havoc on my system, otherwise the rest of the game performs rather admirably.

Leave a comment:

• davidm71
    replied

I am blown away by this game so much so my computer also nearly blew up playing it! Actually my UPS couldn't handle the power draw from my video cards and shut down hard! Playing at 5760x1080 quality settings maxed and getting 40-50 fps. Never had a problem before with pulling too much juice until now! Guess will have to plug her straight to the wall for Alan Wake!
    Last edited by davidm71; 04-16-2012, 12:33 AM. Reason: cleared up info

Leave a comment:

• MarkusRMD
    replied

MSAA and FXAA work together, but the improvement is incremental. MSAA8x is way more expensive to render than FXAA, my "high config" recommendation is 4xMSAA and FXAA.

Leave a comment:

• trax
    replied

I have a question then if there is MSAA and FXAA do they work together? I thought when FXAA works it replaces MSAA, so what about here? How to get the best possible picture quality? To set MSAA8x +FXAA high +AF16x or to play without FXAA or maybe to leave just FXAA high + AF16X working together?

Leave a comment:

• yurieu
    replied

Originally posted by WakeLestat360 View Post
    Wait. I'm a dumb about these tech's terms... but are you saying that Alan Wake 1 on Xbox 360 uses VLQ (volumetric Light) on LOW? REALLY?

Come on, what epic lighting engine do you have in your hands Remedy?

its bad for me the xbox are using on the mid quality. i have a nice pc with 6670 and phenom x4 and my settings are on low-mid. increasing the quality or lowering dont affect to much, since i play in 1080p the frame rate still 20-40(with o.c.) but xbox its really bad on reality. i saw the lights and they are 2D, and no real lightening on floor, just a 2d white blur.

Leave a comment:

• SkyNet
    replied

Originally posted by dvddxr3 View Post
    Hi guys,

I registered specifically to post in this thread.

Just wanna say this is the first time I've ever actually seen a game developer be completely honest about what settings of quality were used on the console version of their game in comparison to the PC version options.

This is a GOOD trend and I encourage ALL game developers to do this!

I like knowing what settings I need to run the game at, at minimum to at least get the console quality of the game that was intended.

Thank you so much Remedy Games!

One happy gamer
    Same thoughts here. First time I saw this being done (maybe second time, but don't remember the firts lol)

Leave a comment:

• dvddxr3
    replied

On a side note in regards to what others are posting about the game not running well on their rigs with Intel HD graphics....

Come on guys really? Running a high end AAA graphics title with nothing but ON BOARD GRAPHICS?

It doesn't matter how much memory or Ghz your computer has if the game doesn't have a GOOD GRAPHICS CARD to push information to.

You could be running 1.21 Jigawatts at 88 MPH and still have the game look like poop!

Invest in even a medium range graphics card these days and it will be like night and day. Even low end graphics cards from 2010/2011 are pumping out more power than a PS3 or Xbox 360.

You spent the money for the PC now complete your setup with a graphics card!

Leave a comment:

• dvddxr3
    replied

Hi guys,

I registered specifically to post in this thread.

Just wanna say this is the first time I've ever actually seen a game developer be completely honest about what settings of quality were used on the console version of their game in comparison to the PC version options.

This is a GOOD trend and I encourage ALL game developers to do this!

I like knowing what settings I need to run the game at, at minimum to at least get the console quality of the game that was intended.

Thank you so much Remedy Games!

One happy gamer

Leave a comment:

• enlight85
    replied

Hello,

I thought this was the most relevant place to post. The issue I am having, is that there is a line that appears across the screen if I look up, down, left or right. It is as if the screen tears and displaces slightly. Its distracting...

I have set the PC to run at low, medium and high with vsync on and off but with little change. I have also customised the settings and updated my drivers but still the same.

Is this a problem other people are having? For reference, my current PC set up is;

i5 750
    8GB DDR3
    6950 2GB

Even if there doesnt seem to be a fix, it would be nice to know that other people are in the same boat Thanks guys.

Leave a comment:

• drali
    replied

so is this a solution?

Leave a comment:

• CruNcher
    replied

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
    Upgrading to latest drivers may help with Intel HD graphics - we have tested on a few setups and Intel should support MSAA. It's not very fast though.
    According to the FPS meter when i run it on the GT1 i get ~10 fps though it's playble -noblur lowest settings (non official released Ivy Bridge Driver)

Which corresponds to the same FPS i get with BF3 (Frostbyte 2 @ low)
    and or Crysis 2 (though @ High)

Seeing this running without any visual problems on a Intel GPU anyways is already worth a WOW in earlier days it would just have crashed

Btw what is Digital Foundry using in their FPS analysis on the Xbox360 it's not the normal FPS counter but a Graphical Display ?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...y-vs-alan-wake

Also the 8 bit banding is horrible on these Inet Videos
    Last edited by CruNcher; 02-25-2012, 07:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CocoNUT
    replied

yes. It's V2.0.1. Not working properly for me.

Leave a comment:

• voorhees1979
    replied

Mine says the same on the .exe. But in the bottom right taskbar thingy when it is loaded, stick your mouse on it and it should say v2.0.1. Probs is the same but mine is working ok.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X