File IO failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC File IO failure

I just downloaded Alan Wake from Steam, and when I want to start the game, I get this error message I have never encountered before:

"File IO failure: createDirectoryFailed, error code 5"

See attached PNG for the original view.

Searching the internet points to a few sites mentioning this problem, but no help there. Anyone?
    Attached Files

Re: File IO failure

Hmmm

Best wait for a response from Markus i think
    Last edited by djshauny1; 02-17-2012, 02:57 AM.
    Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Ignore
      Last edited by djshauny1; 02-17-2012, 02:56 AM. Reason: posted twice
      Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Try verifying your game data through the Steam menu?
        Remedy's currently known projects:
        Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

This is affecting me as well. Steam says the game is fine. I'm redownloading the game from Steam. We'll see if that does anything. I was looking forward to this game for months. :/

The most I could find on Google about this is some post saying not to use Russian characters in the install path. I'm using an English version of Windows 7, but it's the 64-bit version. If it's complaining about D:\Program Files (x86)\ I'm gonna slap someone. I also tried running the game as an administrator.

[Edit]
          Reinstalling does nothing.
          Last edited by Mystiq; 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM.

Comment

SOLVED: File IO failure

Okay, here's my solution: I use an SSD for Windows, so it is my drive C. The My Documents folder is on another drive, say F.

Just to make this clear: I didn't just copy the files somewhere else, no. I used the folder properties to move the location, so Windows officially points to the right folder. (See attached PNG for the folder options.)

Now I changed it back to its default location (C:\Users\insertusername\Documents), and lo and behold! The game works fine.

I closed the game, moved the folder back to F:, including the folder "Remedy" created by the game during the first start-up, and voilà. It runs as it should have out of the box.

Obviously the game can't cope with my default location not being standard, which is strange, because other games do just fine. Except for The Witcher 2, which behaved very similar to Alan Wake on first start-up.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by grindgrin; 02-18-2012, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Can you try manually creating "Documents"\Remedy\Alan Wake folder and see if it helps?

(your documents drive may be on C: or D: I guess)

can you start cmd.exe and paste the output of echo %userprofile% here?

Comment

grindgrin - thanks - just as I suspected too This is kind of our failure and we need to fix it.

ADM/Morry, something to the FAQ.

Comment

Strangely my friend has his My Documents on drive D and didn't run into this problem, so there must be a more complex reason for this behavior.

I'll just add some info about my set-up, hoping to shed some light and help clear the darkness around this matter:

Win7 Ultimate 64
                  Drive C: SSD (Windows)
                  Drive D: CD-ROM
                  Drives E and F: two partitions of one HD.

In my case, My Documents is on F, while Steam is on E.

Graphic Card, RAM and so on obviously aren't related to this.

As I remember with The Witcher 2, only a few people with My Documents in another than default location had the same problem, for the majority it worked. Maybe it has something to do with drive lettering?
                  Last edited by grindgrin; 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM.

Comment

too simple,just right click and use the administrator mode~

Comment

Originally posted by mingzhongs View Post
                      too simple,just right click and use the administrator mode~
                      I tried this. It didn't work. I don't have any funny business on my PC with weird folders but I'm at work now. I'll try making the folder myself later.

Comment

I tried manually creating the Documents\Remedy\Alan Wake folder and the same error is still showing.

echo %userprofile% returns the expected profile folder on my C drive. I do have a single physical hard drive partitioned into 3 logical drives and Steam is installing games onto my D drive, and I also tried creating the folder on that drive, too. I even tried moving Steam to my C drive.

I've tried making various folders found in the exe (data\locales) and nothing seems to fix it, short of spending hours with various tools and a debugger to find out what exact folder it's crapping out on, which I think is complete overkill. There seems to be some kind of verbose setting but I can't figure out how to enable it.

This is infuriating. I haven't had this much trouble with a game since Super Street Fighter 4, and at least in that case the problem was consistent and people found a workaround (keyboard troubles; using a non-standard keyboard caused a game to ignore the keyboard entirely). Nothing seems to solve this issue with Alan Wake and I'm pretty lenient about things like this but there is almost zero information anywhere on the Internet about this.
                        Last edited by Mystiq; 02-18-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=22597]Mystiq[/MENTION]
                          The folder you need to create in your My Documents/Remedy folder is "AlanWake" with no space in between, then it should work.

If it still doesn't work, change your My Documents back to C:\Username\My Documents (click no, when asked to copy all the content), start the game, then move your Documents back to the desired location.

Comment

Apologies for the typo but I did use the right folder name without the space.

I don't know what you mean in that second part. I don't have an SSD, just one normal hard drive partitioned into 3 drives. I'm on Windows 7 so the folder should be C:\Users\name\Documents\Remedy\AlanWake. I also copied it to C:\name\My Documents\Remedy\AlanWake and C:\name\Documents\Remedy\AlanWake and neither worked.

I'd like to repeat this important detail:
                            Originally posted by grindgrin
                            Strangely my friend has his My Documents on drive D and didn't run into this problem, so there must be a more complex reason for this behavior.
                            Last edited by Mystiq; 02-18-2012, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I have the same problem.
                              Creating folders doesn't changes anything.
                              Still: "File IO failure: createDirectoryFailed, error code 5"
                              (sorry for my poor english)

Comment

Working...
                              X