• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: File IO failure

Originally posted by Bulbous View Post
    I have this error, too.

Windows 7 64-bit with a redirected "My Documents"

I don't think the game likes the UNC path to My Documents. If change the registry to point the documents to any local folder (i.e. C:\temp) then the game launches.

If you have this problem, try editing the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Set the value to c:\temp or similar.
    Thanks! This temporary-fix worked for me. Still fingers crossed for a patch soon as permanently relocating "My Documents" is not an option for me.

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
    We are investigating. Thanks for the reports.
    Glad to hear it. Thank you!

Comment

You can change the value back when after the game loads. Pain in the butt, but the game is worth it so far!

Comment

I can confirm as well editing the registry to use a local storage path such as c:\temp worked for me.
        Why is this an issue for so many games these days? Folder redirection is a pretty standard convention and if games are designed properly with that in mind it shouldn't be an issue.
        When will this be patched?

Comment

Re: SOLVED: File IO failure

I made the account here just to say thanks, helped a lot

Originally posted by grindgrin View Post
          Okay, here's my solution: I use an SSD for Windows, so it is my drive C. The My Documents folder is on another drive, say F.

Just to make this clear: I didn't just copy the files somewhere else, no. I used the folder properties to move the location, so Windows officially points to the right folder. (See attached PNG for the folder options.)

Now I changed it back to its default location (C:\Users\insertusername\Documents), and lo and behold! The game works fine.

I closed the game, moved the folder back to F:, including the folder "Remedy" created by the game during the first start-up, and voilà. It runs as it should have out of the box.

Obviously the game can't cope with my default location not being standard, which is strange, because other games do just fine. Except for The Witcher 2, which behaved very similar to Alan Wake on first start-up.

Comment

Hello, everyone! I've tried everything that i could find about this problem. But game crashes! Every time it crashes with "File IO failure: createDirectoryFailed, error code 5" and "File IO failure: createDirectoryFailed, error code 0"! I've also found that it crashes when the in-game TV turns on (for example at the very beginning there was a TV in some house after the wooden bridge or in Bright Falls Gas Station after the sawmill and deep forest episode). I really fell in love with that game but this problem doesn't want me to play. I really need your help. btw I'm not using SSD, I have Win7 Ultimate and I've tried each and every solution with redirecting "Documents" folder. I even tried to create a new user account (english or non-english name) and ran the game as administrator. Always the same.

P.S. I've heard that there should be new patch this week. Would it solve this problem? And when?

P.P.S. I know my English is poor. Excuse me
            Last edited by Skye D. Starlet; 03-01-2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skye D. Starlet View Post
              I've tried each and every solution with redirecting "Documents" folder.
              Did you try the registry change as posted above?

P.S. If you change the registry entry to C:\TEMP, make sure it exists!

Comment

Did you try the registry change as posted above?

P.S. If you change the registry entry to C:\TEMP, make sure it exists!
                It exists. I've just try it. Folder exists, documents redirected to C:\TEMP. Run game and it will crash at the same place. Tried 5 seconds ago

Comment

Does the game even start? The issue we have been having is that the game won't even launch. If you are launching and then crashing later, then you are having a different problem...

Comment

It starts. I posted above when it crashes. I tried DLC's today in case they're working. But "The Writer" crashes when i point my flashlight to any word. "The Signal" crashes just when I start it.

Comment

Does the game even start? The issue we have been having is that the game won't even launch. If you are launching and then crashing later, then you are having a different problem...
                      It starts. I posted above when it crashes. I tried DLC's today in case they're working. But "The Writer" crashes when i point my flashlight to any word. "The Signal" crashes just when I start it.

Comment

That's a different problem, then. This thread was originally about people that couldn't start the game.

One of the earlier posters said he read something about "not having Russian characters in the install path". Could that apply to you?

Comment

[MENTION=23126]Skye D. Starlet[/MENTION]

1) do you have any crash dumps or error information we could look at regarding the crash with The Signal?

2) Do you have a W:\ drive on your PC?

Comment

That's a different problem, then. This thread was originally about people that couldn't start the game.

One of the earlier posters said he read something about "not having Russian characters in the install path". Could that apply to you?
                            I've heard that. I don't use any russian characters neither in the install path nor in Documents.

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                            [MENTION=23126]Skye D. Starlet[/MENTION]

1) do you have any crash dumps or error information we could look at regarding the crash with The Signal?

2) Do you have a W:\ drive on your PC?
                            1)I'm currently updating video drivers so i can't run the game. But I'll do it as soon as i can

2)No. I haven't. Just C, D and E - it's a CD-ROM

Comment

@MarcusRMD

Here's screenshots:

1 - House (Chapter 1)

2 - The Signal

3 - The Writer
                              Attached Files

Comment

Right... so for some reason I suspect saving the checkpoint does not work. Can you try e.g. copying a file in Windows to your steam\userdata\<userid>\107810 folder beside where the checkpoint is? Maybe that folder is somehow broken.

Comment

Working...
                                X