File IO failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: File IO failure

Tried. The same thing. In original company i just missed first episode and watched it in YouTube. Then downloaded 100% savegame and started the next episode (when Alan wakes at the ferry in Bright Falls). I was excited that it works. Begin playing next stage. It was the island, next - the forest, sawmill. And when I just reached the Gas Station there also was a TV near a car in the garage. I walked into garage, Alan said something and game crashed again with the same error(I suppose it should turn on again).I even tried to shot the TV with revolver, shotgun and rocket launcher Sorry i can't post screenshot from that place. I just rewrote my savegame to post these screnshots

Comment

hey guys i receive the same message after the cut scene with the creepy lady in the cafe in bright falls. i've tried all the posted workarounds but none worked for me (not even creating a new account on win7)
      i've installed the latest patch 1.03 and still nothing......can someone help me??
      Last edited by fido; 03-13-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

I had this problem and i tried all things you suggested...Didn't work...
        Then I went to program files and just pressed "run as administrator" worked perfectly. Hope the problem is not going to pop-out later, like with some guys here.

Comment

Originally posted by orikzzz View Post
          I had this problem and i tried all things you suggested...Didn't work...
          Then I went to program files and just pressed "run as administrator" worked perfectly. Hope the problem is not going to pop-out later, like with some guys here.
          I tried running as admin, still crashes after the cut scene.
          Please guys can someone help me with this??

Comment

If you have any error messages or crash dumps these could help us trace the problem. Currently we don't have any real place to start from as we're not seeing this crash.

[MENTION=23273]fido[/MENTION], are you sure it crashes with the "CreateDirectoryFailed" message? It definitely should not be writing a directory at that point in the game.
            Last edited by MarkusRMD; 03-19-2012, 02:24 PM.

Comment

here is the message i get right after the cut scene
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok, we'll at least try to add a more descriptive error message. The only thing I can figure out is that it can't find the video.

Can you try deleting steamapps\common\alan wake\data\videos\cine_2500.bik (this is the file I think it fails to) and then validating the cache from Steam).

Comment

Hi. Any idea when this will be solved? I've tried re-downloading the Steam version of the game just today but I'm still unable to play since I'm still getting this same error.

"File IO failure: createDirectoryFailed, error code 5"

And I can't find any links to the patches either. Because Steam has never updated the game since I installed it (and I'm sure of it), in case this has already been fixed Steam and hasn't patched it yet.

Comment

There should be a file name in that error message if you run the latest version from Steam. That would help us trace this problem...

Steam should auto-patch unless you have disabled it.

Comment

The only other thing it says below the error line is

F:\\

F: being the disk I have assigned for my documents.

Steam update is enabled and has been enabled from the beginning. I've even checked several times just in case because even though patch notes do appear in the game's news (not my in installation history, just on the Steam news about the game) it has never actually downloaded them for my game.

I know this because all game downloads and updates appear in the download history, and since I haven't being able to play since the beginning I would've at least tried to launch the game after each patch. Then my post would say something like "I'm playing 1.3 and still can't launch the game!11" but that isn't the case.

Even more, I actually redownloaded the game yesterday, so it should've downloaded the latest version of it I hope. Yet I'm still unable to play, and since the game doesn't even launch I can't check the current version unless there's another way to do it.

PS > BTW I'm playing the game on Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit.
                      Last edited by Raydeus; 04-08-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Ok, this gives us more info to try to investigate the issue. Sorry for the trouble!

Comment

Hi
                          I still have this problem with the latest patch. I have bought the game on Steam but can't play at all, the patches didn't fix it yet.
                          I have 3 harddrives in my computer, C:/ is a SSD drive, M:/ is a harddrive just for the My Documents folder, and D:/ is a harddrive where Steam is installed.
                          When I try to launch the game from Steam I get this error:

File IO failure: createDirectoryFailed, error code 5

M:\\
                          It points to my harddrive where the MyDocuments folder is installed on.

Please fix it, it is really frustrating to buy a game and not being able to play it. I even preordered American Nightmare in advance :/ This issue exists since the original PC release and still exists after all the patches...
                          I should have stuck with a xbox360, and Steam doesn't give refunds even if the game doesn't work

Comment

Finally! This fix found on internet works:

create a shortcut of Alanwake.exe

select contents ->compatibility->select 640*480

then select to change purpose of shortcut

EX.
                            "F:Remedy EntertainmentAlanWakeAlanWake.exe" -w1366 -h768

1366 768 are your resolution

enjoy your game!

Then it works.

Comment

[MENTION=24208]morlune[/MENTION] Great that you found a workaround! We have actually this week identified the problem also in our code while working on American Nightmare PC version and have fixed it for that. We will patch Alan Wake soon also.

Comment

Friends, 3 years later and I still face the same problem, even after updating Alan Wake to its last version - is there no solution for this other than create a new user? really? every other solutions here and on the net doesn't seen to work for me, and a new user is not an acceptable option.

Comment

Working...
                                X