Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Screen randomly going black

Hi,

Started to play AW the other day and after a while the screen randomly goes black. I can still walk around and access menus - you can hear the sounds still so it's not as if the game has locked up. The only way I've been getting around it is once it happens I alt tab out of it and then open it back up and I can see everything again. It is getting quiet annoying as it is starting to happen more regularly.

Can't remmeber off the top of my head what my full specs are but I have an alienware m18x laptop with the dual 6990m cards, 8gb ram, the cpu is an i7 I believe but am not 100% positive. I tried disabling crossfire and still didnt do anything, used V-sync - nothing once again.

Any help would be much appreiciated.

Thanks

Re: Screen randomly going black

For crossfire you should have the 12.1 CAP3 profile available at http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx

But the problem you are describing sounds really odd, I haven't heard anybody else have a similar problem. Your setup is pretty cool but eccentric - a dual Mobile GPU? I didn't even know that kind of thing existed...

Does it do the same if you run in windowed mode?

Comment

Hi and thanks for the response.

Haha yeah its a beast of a laptop - if you can even call it a laptop. Its got a 18.4" screen and its in total probably just over an inch thick. It is a replacement for my desktop which I sold.

To answer the question, I just tried it in windowed mode and yes the same thing is still happening.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...073/DxDiag.txt
      Last edited by Synite; 02-21-2012, 08:40 PM. Reason: Adding dxdiag text file

Comment

Black Screen ? When you look at a powerful lightsource at the distance ? This happens sometimes, either i look away or get closer to the light. The screen goes completly dark, except for the light. At first i thought it`s a uberrealisitc feature, but it gets annoying fast. Playing around with graphic settings doesn´t help.

Dual Core E8500
        GTX 560Ti (latest Driver)

Comment

Originally posted by Horge View Post
          Black Screen ? When you look at a powerful lightsource at the distance ? This happens sometimes, either i look away or get closer to the light. The screen goes completly dark, except for the light. At first i thought it`s a uberrealisitc feature, but it gets annoying fast. Playing around with graphic settings doesn´t help.

Dual Core E8500
          Doesn't seem to be the same problem as me. My screen will stay black no matter what I do in the game. As I wrote in the first post the only way to get past it is to alt tab out of the game and back in, however it happens regularly and is quiet annoying.

For further reference I'm playing at 1920 x 1080 maxed out

Comment

Originally posted by Synite View Post
            Doesn't seem to be the same problem as me. My screen will stay black no matter what I do in the game. As I wrote in the first post the only way to get past it is to alt tab out of the game and back in, however it happens regularly and is quiet annoying.

For further reference I'm playing at 1920 x 1080 maxed out
            my same situation with at 4670 hd 1gb!
            how to fix? I have tried everything

Comment

So, any update on this glitch/bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Synite View Post
                So, any update on this glitch/bug?
                even if I put everything on'' low'', happens to crash(black screen then the game continues)..I do not know what to do even

Comment

Originally posted by bloody83 View Post
                  even if I put everything on'' low'', happens to crash(black screen then the game continues)..I do not know what to do even
                  Yeah I decided to try low as well. Didn't make a difference, the glitch still happened...

Comment

I changed the drivers, I changed the graphics settings , I changed all..but didn't make a difference, the glitch still happened!!!
                    this problem makes me very nervous because I want to play!!!

Comment

We haven't been able to reproduce this and it's a really odd one as [MENTION=22805]Synite[/MENTION] has this on Nvidia, and [MENTION=22872]bloody83[/MENTION] has this on ATI/AMD. So it's clearly not graphics card dependent.

Does it run OK if you run the game in a window?

Comment

the problem persists even in window mode!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                          We haven't been able to reproduce this and it's a really odd one as [MENTION=22805]Synite[/MENTION] has this on Nvidia, and [MENTION=22872]bloody83[/MENTION] has this on ATI/AMD. So it's clearly not graphics card dependent.

Does it run OK if you run the game in a window?
                          Just thought I'd give you a heads up, my gpu's are AMD.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by Horge View Post

Dual Core E8500
                            This is exactly what's happening with me also. Right from the start, when the game asks to look up to the light to see if I want to reverse the controls, I am basically looking at just the lightsource, with everything black around. The center for all light sources are also black squares (looks like over-sized pixels). The lighthouse in the distance also shows the light. After I walk around for a few seconds, everything slowly fades in, then if I approach a light source, everything goes black except for the light. Re-installed the game a few times, same issue. No other games have any glitches. Latest drivers (GeForce 295.73 WHQL). No error messages, no missing dll files, DirectX up to date.

AMD Phenom II X4 965BE @ 3.8Ghz | Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 (Rev 2.1) | Gigabyte GV-N56GOC-1GI GeForce GTX560 @ 900/2100/1800 | 8GB G.Skill DDR2-1000 4x2GB @ 800Mhz | Corsair 650TX psu | Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer | G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD (firmware 4.2)& 5.5TB combined HDD | Windows 7 Pro x64 | Samsung P2770 via DVI | Case air cooled | BIOS and drivers always up-to-date

Comment

Well, hoping one of the Remedy guys/gals can help me out with this one but whenever I launch AW, it seems to clash with the windows 7 Aero look. It reverts it back to normal. Haven't had time to test it by starting it without the aero theme already applied but I'm thinking it could possibly be this clash that is making it black out randomly?

Comment

Working...
                              X