Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crash on low-end system (below minimal system requirements)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Crash on low-end system (below minimal system requirements)

First of all, I have a very good gaming rig (E8400, 6Gb, ATI4850/512Mb, Win 7 x64, 1280x1024) and the game works incredibly good there, highest settings - 30-40 fps, stable temperature and power. Already beat this game twice, Normal and Nightmare difficulty. Absolutely fantastic experience, amazing art-design, superb game mechanics, very good survival feeling in spite of health regeneration, great story, surprising DLCs... and one of the best PC ports, I've ever played.

Anyway, just out of curiosity I tried to play this game on a very old rig of my very good friend. She isn't a gamer, so her PC is significantly below minimal system requirements according to Steam.

Processor: Single Core AMD 64 3200+ (2.0GHz)
    Memory: 2 GB DDR RAM
    Graphics: ATI 2600XT with 256MB RAM
    DirectX®: 9.0c
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Gamer
    1280x1024 LCD monitor

With the lowest settings Alan Wake works surprisingly good on this system. Comfortable fps, lack of stuttering, loading is pretty long and after the game loads the first level, I can't see a ground texture for few seconds, but later it works just fine...

Until the Episode 1-3 - Waking Up To A Nightmare.

Again, the level loads without ground texture for whole level, and much much later when ground texture finally appears, the screen blinks, and the game crashes to the desktop. I thought, it's because there is a huge area in that level, and 256MB of video memory is not enough here. Very low resolution also doesn't solve this issue.

BUT just once the game doesn't crash there, and I played the game until the Episode 2. And it crashed again, when I was trying to save Rusty. Again, a huge area, I guess.

Also, it's odd that if I try to continue the game after each crash, it doesn't load the savegame properly. Savegame corruption or something. And it didn't work at all, until I restart any chapter from scratch via episodes menu.

P.S: I have two dump files (but after patch 1.3 the game doesn't generate them anymore), I use '-verbose' command and generate few verbose files (not in chronological order), also dxdiag is here, and one screenshot without ground texture in attached files too.
    Attached Files
    Sorry if my English is not perfect!

Re: Crash on low-end system (below minimal system requirements)

Originally posted by KenTWOu View Post
    First of all, I have a very good gaming rig (E8400, 6Gb, ATI4850/512Mb, Win 7 x64, 1280x1024)
    Soon as you said that you lost me
    i5 2500k@4.6ghz with Venom Cooler
    Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 with 8gb ram
    VTX 2gb 6950

Comment

Originally posted by voorhees1979 View Post
      Soon as you said that you lost me
      You know, if you don't have HD monitor, think that 3D hurts your eyes, play tons of cross-platform games, you don't need a better PC than this. So, after you wrote this, you lost me too.
      Last edited by KenTWOu; 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=23279]KenTWOu[/MENTION] it's a combination of single core (landscape not appearing) and 2600XT (crash/timeout in driver likely). I can check the dumps, would like the game not to crash still.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
          I can check the dumps...
          If I remember correctly, you said somewhere that checking the dumps take a lot of time. And we are talking about PC that doesn't even meet minimal system requirements. So, thank you for any help you can provide, Markus.

Comment

[MENTION=23279]KenTWOu[/MENTION] If all works(tm) checking Alan Wake dumps is not too cumbersome. Checking Windows kernel/driver dumps is a bit annoying

The first dump is crashing when it's trying to draw the HUD, and the 2nd dump is somehow invalid (it's trying to exit the game).

I'm just suspecting that the poor Radeon 2600XT is running out of resources and that is causing crashes a bit randomly...
            Last edited by MarkusRMD; 03-19-2012, 03:17 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=257]MarkusRMD[/MENTION], I didn't notice your last message, be cause you make it via editing. Honestly, I even thought that you forget about me, so I'm really sorry : )

Anyway, I tried to play the game after patch 1.04 and 1.05 and the result was the same. I think that 2600XT (or whole system) isn't fast enough and doesn't have enough video memory for texturing huge AW's levels.

Thanks for the help and I guess this case is closed now.
              Last edited by KenTWOu; 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM.

Comment

ah well i read this thread and thought the game would run on my old laptop
                running windows 7 on ati mobility radeon x1400 but the game crashes at start right away saying "CREATE_VERTEX_SHADER_ERROR -invalid call "

oh well i tried , i was kinda thinking i would be able to play the game at the lowest settings after i was able to play mass effect 3 pretty nicely and finished the game, sigh will have to wait for a long time to replace this laptop inspiron 6400 love it too much

i guess ran out of luck even was able to play deus ex human revolution
                here is a screenshot in case anyone was wondering , it was a risk i took , have no problems playing with lowest settings possible, just want to know the story
                http://imageupload.org/en/file/21909...image.jpg.html
                also having the collectors edition on steam
                Last edited by lordofterror; 04-20-2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=23954]lordofterror[/MENTION]
                  I've tried to run Deus Ex:Human Revolution on that system (AMD 64 3200+, ATI 2600XT) and it worked, huge lags and stuttering, but it worked. While Alan Wake doesn't work properly, though it doesn't have lags and stuttering at all. Different games, different engines, different system requirements.
                  Last edited by KenTWOu; 04-20-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

I've tried to run Deus Ex:Human Revolution on that system (AMD 64 3200+, ATI 2600XT) and it worked, huge lags and stuttering, but it worked. While Alan Wake doesn't work properly, though it doesn't have lags and stuttering at all. Different games, different engines, different system requirements.
                    deus ex hr did have lot of stuttering problems at first , did you try the game recently ? i finished the missing link dlc and it went quite well no crashes , slowdowns etc

i know different engines and stuff like i said im only looking to know the game story i wish the game would just boot tilll the main menu at least

Comment

Don't worry about DEXR, as I said before in the first post of this topic, my main rig is E8400, 6Gb, ATI4850/512Mb. DEXR (and Alan Wake) works just fine on that rig. By the way, I bought Missing Link DLC too, spent over 30 hours on it, it has incredible stealth experience.

Originally posted by lordofterror View Post
                      i know different engines and stuff like i said im only looking to know the game story i wish the game would just boot tilll the main menu at least
                      Yeah, that was my initial intention, when I tried to play the game on low-end PC below minimal system requirements. I want to show the story to my good friend, the story which I've already seen. But it's a PC gaming, it has its own relentless issues, especially when the game doesn't have a demo version.

Anyway, I hope you find a way to play the game in the near future. It deserves it.

Comment

Don't worry about DEXR, as I said before in the first post of this topic, my main rig is E8400, 6Gb, ATI4850/512Mb. DEXR (and Alan Wake) works just fine on that rig. By the way, I bought Missing Link DLC too, spent over 30 hours on it, it has incredible stealth experience.

Yeah, that was my initial intention, when I tried to play the game on low-end PC below minimal system requirements. I want to show the story to my good friend, the story which I've already seen. But it's a PC gaming, it has its own relentless issues, especially when the game doesn't have a demo version.

Anyway, I hope you find a way to play the game in the near future. It deserves it.
                        we want more deus ex hr stuff

ya i hope i find a way to run it , buying a new laptop is going to take time as i am already stuck with two old but very stable and nice laptops, this one at least has a gfx card , the other one has intel graphics accelerator....:\...

Comment

[MENTION=23954]lordofterror[/MENTION] We don't support the Radeon X1x00 series graphics cards unfortunately, so Alan Wake will not run on that...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                            [MENTION=23954]lordofterror[/MENTION] We don't support the Radeon X1x00 series graphics cards unfortunately, so Alan Wake will not run on that...
                            sigh , oh well thanks for replying , i guess the game will be in my steam library for a long time , just finished diablo 3 beta, it too warns at first the card is not supported but game runs just fine at 25fps, i hope i will get to play alan wake some day

Comment

Re: is it neccessary to update this game before playing

i m a middle class family boy i bought this game for 568rupees and after buying the original copy i m regretting i should have bought pirated game at least it was cheaper and there is no problem of updating. after wasting 600rupees on the game and 100 rupees on the net i have to waste my time sitting in front of pc and downloding the update of 208mb why is it required is there any way to play without updating reply soon

Comment

Working...
                              X