Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install Alan Wake from DVD Disk without Downloading 7.5g from Steam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Install Alan Wake from DVD Disk without Downloading 7.5g from Steam?

Hi,

I hope I'm not repeating my question now because it appears that my previous post got lost. But here goes:

I lost my patience after wasting three days trying to get this game installed on my PC. I need your help to get the game installed using my fully paid for retail box's dvd disk instead of downloading the 7.5g of ...excretion... from Steam.

So, I bought the game (retail box), popped the DVD into the drive and followed the prompts to have it installed.

Then Steam insisted on an internet connection and I obtained that using a 3g usb stick. Then the steam update froze at 48% and I wanted to kill someone, anyone. Hours later the only solution appeared to be to have a better internet connection available before proceeding - which is a load of crap. If the internet connection was the problem, I woldn't be able to download squat, nevermind 48% time after time. Anyway, like I said, I felt like killing a Steam exec.

Then I packed my pc in my car (if I wanted a mobile computer, I would have bought a laptop), drove 60km to get to my brother's ADSL connected house from where I managed to get past the 48% update. Yep, Steam updated and installed on my PC. Hooray.

Then Steam indicated that it wants to start to download the game. 7.5g worth of it. And it never even tried to access the disk in the drive to see if it is required to download the freakin game. More specifically, up to this point, my DVD disk was accessed exactly once, and that was when Steam was first installed on my PC. So the retail box DVD appears to be only good for a 1.5MB file that you can simply download from Steam's website anyway.

How should I proceed to install the game from the dvd diskwithout having to download the game again? Bandwidth is a problem in South Africa. If I wanted to pay a thousand bucks to play this game, I would have waited until the feeling passed and I would never have bought the game. Next time I feel like spending a thousand bucks to play a game, I'd buy 'n gun and go hunt a Steam Exec. Much more fun, I'm sure.

I'm hoping there's a little tick box somewhere on that useless Steam system that I forgot to go look for and tick. Please tell me how?

Re: Install Alan Wake from DVD Disk without Downloading 7.5g from Steam?

Solution found on Steam:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5357-FSQM-0382

Comment

Re: Install Alan Wake from DVD Disk without Downloading 7.5g from Steam?

Ok, great that you found the solution! We are doing our best to keep the patches as small as possible.

Comment

Working...
      X