Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alan Wake Crashes At Startup. What gives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Alan Wake Crashes At Startup. What gives?

Whenever I start up Alan Wake on Steam, the Remedy logo displays for a few seconds, but then the game crashes. Windows says "AlanWake.exe has stopped working." I can only click the close button and the game shuts down immediately.

What's puzzling is that I had no issues whatsoever playing Alan Wake on Steam prior to restoring my PC to original factory specs. I could run the game on the highest settings, and I never experienced any crashes or glitches.

After completing the Windows restoration process, I downloaded all Windows updates, the latest Nvidia graphics driver, and other hardware drivers to bring my PC up-to-date. And then I proceeded to download Steam, install it, and download Alan Wake.

When I first realized that Alan Wake would crash at the Remedy logo, I tried the following:

1) I verified the integrity of the game cache. It turned out to be fine.

2) I defragmented the cache files. The game still crashed.

3) I tried various set launch options: "-window", turn off various feature commands, and pretty much all of the launch commands provided from Remedy. None of these fixed the problem.

4) I re-installed my graphic drivers multiple times. I even used Driver Sweeper to make sure all of the files were deleted when the drivers were uninstalled. This did not fix the issue.

5) I tried re-installing PhysX drivers and other related programs that installed with Alan Wake. This did not work.

5) I have tried re-installing the game twice, and every time the game had finished downloading, the same issue occurred. The integrity of the files were always verified to be fine w/ the game still crashing at launch.

6) I ran a memory diagnostic test on my PC. The results stated there were no issues found with my memory.

7) I ran a Windows integrity verification test through the command prompt, and there were no issues found.

8) I tried turning off all other programs running in the background and only running Steam and Alan Wake. The issue persisted. So I don't think it could be other programs conflicting with the game.

9) I unchecked the "enable Steam community in-game" box with no success.

I'm out of ideas does anyone have some more suggestions to try to fix this recurring error?

And just for the record, I've installed other games on Steam (Portal 2 and Skyrim) and they do not crash and run perfectly. The problem is only with Alan Wake.

If it helps, my laptop PC and specs are the following:

Toshiba Qosmio X505 - Q893

Processor: Intel Core i5 i5-460M / 2.53 GHz ( 2.8 GHz ) ( Dual-Core )

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX M

Memory: 4.0 GB / 8.0 GB (max)

Hard Drive: 500.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 7200.0 rpm

Re: Alan Wake Crashes At Startup. What gives?

Hi AthnauX8600.

Have you tried running the game with the latest version of Xfire?

Xfire released a revised profile for Alan Wake on 20th May 2012 and a revised profile for American Nightmare on 28th May 2012.

With these latest Xfire profiles both games start up fine when I have Xfire running.

SamiV.
    Lead Technical Artist, Remedy Co-Founder

Comment

What about Directx?

Another guess is to clean your Steam cloud save game. Start the game with -cleancloud and see if that does anything.
      Remedy's currently known projects:
      Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Okay seems like AthnauX8600 didn't have Xfire installed at all (some users at the Steam forums reported the having Xfire installed caused the game to not start up...)

So we're still clueless about what's causing this.

SamiV.
        Lead Technical Artist, Remedy Co-Founder

Comment

I have the same problem! Please help me I did everything that everyone has said to do and I cannot play this game! Please fix this!

Comment

try the DirectX wep updater:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl..._121LSUS007776

Comment

Originally posted by Freezy View Post
              I fixed it! Apperently it was my antivirus!

If your having the same problem just allow the game through the antivirus!

Comment

Glad to hear you found a solution!
                For our information, which anti-virus package are you using?

Enjoy the game
                Remedy's currently known projects:
                Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

I am experincing similar problems, when I launch the game, I get a black screen which usually leads to the Remedy logo, but instead I get a message : AlanWake.exe has stopped working.

The game ran fine about two weeks ago and the only thing I can think of that I did is use a system restore point to back up a week, but I can't imagine that would change the game files.

I tried launching it on my other windows log-in (which solved a similar crash problem on a different game) but that didn't work.
                  I tried running it as administrator and running it in different compability modes.
                  I tried launching it through Xfire, which didn't make any difference.
                  I tried deactivating my Anti-Virus, which didn't make any difference.
                  I tried verifiyng the game chache through steam, which didn't make any difference.
                  I tried reinstalling the game which didn't make any difference.

Now I am no expert on computers, I just like gaming, but it seems to me that there is nothing wrong with the game that is crashing it. So I guess it's something with the computer.

I've played through the game like four times earlier and it worked fine.

Please help,

William

System specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
                  Intel Core i3-3220(30GHz, 3mb cache)
                  6GB RAM
                  GeForce GT 545 graphics card

Comment

Unfortunately windows restore can be buggy. If AW was working prior to you restoring your computer I would say try to reinstall AW. That should help.
                    ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
                    32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
                    WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

Nevermind, I fixed it!

I bought the Alan Wake humble bundle collection like two weeks ago and put all the special features(making of videos etc.) in my alan wake steam folder and for some reason that was what was making my game crash.

Comment

Working...
                      X