Help Please! Game crashes relentlessly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Help Please! Game crashes relentlessly

I am cross posting this from the Steam forums, as one cry for help says it all.
    ---
    I'm pretty disappointed that I cannot even get this title to load into the game world. At first it would freeze and crash 2 seconds into the Remedy load screen, until I read the fix about renaming the opening video file. That worked fine, and I can get into the game menus. Great, everything seems fine at that point, even runs through the first cut scene. But once that finishes it will crash every single time, even in windowed mode.

Here are the things I've tried (and they are all the usual suggestions) - clean driver reload, verify cache, DX reload, graphic settings on very low, windowed mode, steam offline mode, antivirus disabled, sound disabled, forced stereo, set CPU affinity to use 2 cores only, delete resolution.xml, etc. If it's on Remedy's "try this" list, believe me I tried it.

So here are my system specs:

Win7 Pro 64-bit
    i7 2600K
    8 GB RAM
    Asus Radeon 5850
    XFX 750W Black Edition
    Asus P8 P67 Pro Mobo B3 rev
    Cooling galore

Any ideas? Help is greatly appreciated! I can run everything in my Steam library fine (well, except Civ 5 DirectX 11 mode), so there is clearly something up with this game.

Re: Help Please! Game crashes relentlessly

I have also attached verbose output and crash dump file.
    Attached Files

Comment

Just Alan Wake?

You had problems with any other games recently?
      Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

It's just Alan Wake where I see any game issues. Everything else runs rock solid (except the aforementioned Civ5 DX11, DX9 works great). This rig has been up and running for about 2 years now.

Comment

Update: I rolled back to Catalyst 12.3 and the game seems to run now without crashing. I was previously at 12.6, then updated to 12.10, neither of which helped the situation.

Is this game supposed to work with updated Catalyst drivers?

Comment

The game acts in mysterious ways sometimes...

Happy to hear its working for you.
            Remedy's currently known projects:
            Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by GrizzlyEdTandy View Post
              Update: I rolled back to Catalyst 12.3 and the game seems to run now without crashing. I was previously at 12.6, then updated to 12.10, neither of which helped the situation.

Is this game supposed to work with updated Catalyst drivers?
              Another reason why i went for nvidia this time around
              Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Bit of a necro-update here, but I updated to Catalyst 13.1 and Alan Wake is no longer playable again. It's a shame that only 12.3 seems to work.

Comment

Working...
                X