Brand new laptop, Alan Wake freezing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Brand new laptop, Alan Wake freezing

Got a brand new laptop a few days ago and yesterday Alan Wake was the first game I tried on it. For some reason when I started the game, it said that my system is under the minimum requirements and that it will be adjusting automatically. I frowned. What?
    I have Intel i7 quad core 2.4GHz processor (3630QM), Nvidia 675MX for graphics card and 8GB of RAM. Also, before starting the game, it asked me to install DirectX, which I did, and now have DirectX 11.
    So it definitely can't be under minimum requirements; I've seen different requirements here and there, but always around processor 2.0GHz, 2 GB of RAM and GeForce GTX260 or so.

Nonetheless, I tried to play it anyway. I had it full screen (1920 x 1080) but all the graphics settings were set to low or off. In the first chapter, however, every now and then the game kept freezing completely. First time at the diner, music kept going but picture froze. Then as I get to the cabin, same thing. The only way to get out of it was ctrl+alt+del and sign out. Tried to launch task manager at first but it resulted in an obscure bar-half-showing-desktop-all-black scenario.
    Thanks to autosave I was able to advance bit by bit to confirm that the problem persisted and was not tied to a specific event.

I downloaded the patch, update 1.0.3 if I remember right, but it didn't help any. I put the resolution lower, didn't help either, it froze eventually again.
    It would seem to me that Alan Wake is running on my processor's integrated graphics instead of the graphics card. But why? I definitely have the newest driver for the 675MX, checked for updates again just in case, but no updates. The graphics card shows up in device manager, too. Is there any way to force it to act even more so?
    Also, I went with the obscure decision to install Windows 8 instead of 7. I've googled and seen people run Alan Wake on Windows 8 as well, though, and didn't think it would be a problem. Could it be?
    I bought the game from gog.com, DRM-free.

Alan Wake was one of the games that I bought the new laptop for, so it would really be a shame if I couldn't play it because of technical difficulties. : ( Thank you in advance for any help!

Re: Brand new laptop, Alan Wake freezing

Welcome to the forums, Amitia.

Your laptop is definitely suited to run the game perfectly, so there must be some software issue on your system.
    If you go in to your nvidia control panel, you should find the Manage 3D Settings section. From here, the Program Settings tab should allow you to select the preferred graphics processor for any given program. Try using the Alan Wake executable and telling it to use your High-performance processor.

Let us know if that does anything for you.
    Remedy's currently known projects:
    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Thank you for the welcome!

I followed your instructions with selecting the graphics card on Ndivia's control panel and did some more testing during the weekend. The game ran better, was able to advance for even an hour or two, but eventually the picture froze again. I had the lowest settings on and kept making the resolution lower every time. Something was definitely wrong...

I then tested Dungeon Defenders with gpu-z on. Looked like the graphics card was in use, and was most definitely heating up. The character selection froze when the temperature hit 80 degrees and things started moving again when it got back to 60-ish. Seems like it's not a software problem after all, but a hardware problem. I know Dungeon Defenders has some pretty graphics in the menu but I doubt it should send the graphics card to 80 degrees and freeze the picture. I believe I'm dealing with a faulty graphics card.

I will contact the laptop seller and most likely send it back for fixing. Sure is frustrating to get a faulty part, but good thing there's warranty...

Thanks for the help, hope to get back to the game soon. : )

Comment

Oh, man. Getting a hardware fault is no fun, but at least it shouldn't cost you anything with the warranty.

Let's hope you have better luck the next time you try to play Alan Wake -- and let's hope that'll be soon; I know that time rarely passes as slowly as when you're waiting for someone to send your computer back to you. =)
        Story Team Manager at Remedy. Like the occasional stupid remark? Follow me on Twitter: @MikkiRMD

Comment

I hope it works out for you!
          Remedy's currently known projects:
          Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Hello again!

This might be 2 months late, but just wanted to let you know that everything worked out fantastically. Although the fixing was free of cost, it did take some time for them to ship it back - but the time paid off. Everything is now working as it is supposed to. No freezing, no ridiculous overheating.
            And as soon as I had some time, I finished both Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Needless to say, it was an incredible experience and I'm already prodding my friends to play the game as well.

So it's a happy ending to this story! ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Amitia View Post
              Hello again!

This might be 2 months late, but just wanted to let you know that everything worked out fantastically. Although the fixing was free of cost, it did take some time for them to ship it back - but the time paid off. Everything is now working as it is supposed to. No freezing, no ridiculous overheating.
              And as soon as I had some time, I finished both Alan Wake and Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Needless to say, it was an incredible experience and I'm already prodding my friends to play the game as well.

So it's a happy ending to this story! ; )
              Glad you got everything sorted
              Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Working...
              X