No announcement yet.

Game freezes, after alt-tab and returning low FPS on EVERY game until restart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Game freezes, after alt-tab and returning low FPS on EVERY game until restart

This is my first post ever so pardon my inexperience.

Problem:
    After playing Alan Wake (steam) for any given time on chapter 3 now (FPS around 47 and 60), game freezes, sound continues but the action is stopped (I do not hear the Taken hitting me...). If I alt-tab nothing changes but if I hit Ctrl+Alt+Supr and start the Task Manage, the game continues but only at around 18 FPS.
    This continues even if I exit the game and enter it again, it even makes the rest of the games go slow!!! (e.g: Duke Nukem goes from always 60 fps to 20 fps, Dishonored drops to 35 tops). Everything returns to normal when I restart.

My specs:
    Windows 7 x64
    Intel i7-3820 @ 3.60GHz
    Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 560-Ti OC V2
    Power: Corsair TX 750W
    16 GB RAM (don't remember type...)
    1 SSD for Windows and 2 other drives that have at least 120 GB free

Things I have already tried:
    Verified steam game cache
    Performed a clean installation of latest Nvidia Drivers
    Set the graphic card settings to factory (NO factory OC either!!)
    Checked DX version and DxDiag
    Killed any suspicious looking process
    Searched for nvsmartmaxapp: not running in my system
    Set Power Management Mode in Nvidia Control Panel to "prefer maximum performance"

Additional info:
    I played through most of the game so far (I am in chapter 3 after waiting for the kidnapper to show in the coal mines) with all settings on max (AA at 4X) with 47-60 FPS (measured with Fraps).
    If after the freeze and alt-tabbing I lower the settings I get a minor FPS increase: from an average of 13 to an average of 18 wich almost makes the game playable.
    It seems as if after the freeze something got disconnected and is only on again after system restart. I checked the Nvidia control panel and nothing seems changed...
    I attach two txt with the DXdiag before and after the freeze.

Please help me: I like the game so far and this is making it unplayable. Now when I get the manuscript page after descending the tower the game freezes always!
    Attached Files

Re: Game freezes, after alt-tab and returning low FPS on EVERY game until restar

Does this happen in other games too without playing AW?

For example: On a fresh boot, Duke Nukem and Dishonored play fine. You then go to play AW. The PC freezes and lags along with said games?

Only thing I can think of is insufficient cooling (GPU over heating), Anti-Virus or software conflict. Try to disable start-up items and check your services on boot.
    ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
    32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

Re: Game freezes, after alt-tab and returning low FPS on EVERY game until restar

Thanks arugula!

No: said games work fine any time. Then when I have a freeze on AW, do a Ctrl+Alt+Supr, get back to AW with a 13 FPS, and then quit, after that every game I play lags until I restart the computer.

My guess is that if it was a CPU temperature thing, the computer would shut down immediately. It may have to do with the GPU temperature as I am not sure what it does when it detects an overheat, but I do not understand why it does not go away until I restart the computer.

I have tried killing everything but the basics and temporarily disabling the antivirus, but to no avail.

I have progressed further and I am now in Chapter 4, so far hasn't happened but I only plaid 5 minutes of said chapter.

It does seem to be time dependant: the first time happens after a while (around 15 min) and then if I keep restarting the computer and resume playing it happens more often (around 2 min). This could be tied to the temperature issue. However no other game has caused this before and I believe I have played more GPU intensive things (like Batman 2).

It may be aggravated by being summer in Spain with around 30ºC..

I will run it again with the GPU at its default settings (OC at 950 Hz) and make a log of the GPU temperatures.

Thanks again!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sini View Post
        Thanks arugula!

It does seem to be time dependant: the first time happens after a while (around 15 min) and then if I keep restarting the computer and resume playing it happens more often (around 2 min). This could be tied to the temperature issue. However no other game has caused this before and I believe I have played more GPU intensive things (like Batman 2).

It may be aggravated by being summer in Spain with around 30ºC..

I will run it again with the GPU at its default settings (OC at 950 Hz) and make a log of the GPU temperatures.

Thanks again!!!!
        Your welcome! Yea, it really sounds like the GPU is overheating especially if you have it overclocked and its 30°C. If its that hot in your room I would definitely try better ventilation or fans. Make sure its clean inside too with nothing blocking the vents. If your motherboard supports temperature monitoring you can adjust the fan speed in your BIOS and speed up the RPM's of the fans. That will help too.

My friend used to just take his side panel off his PC case and directed one of his house fans on the motherboard. That helped cool down the hardware but it is a jury rig solution that really doesnt look nice but is indeed effective. Especially if you are not cooling your room with an A/C.

When you first boot the computer its at its coolest state. Obviously the more you use the hotter it gets eventually leading to overheating if not cooled properly. When you restart the computer it actually gives the GPU a bit of a cooldown so that is why you can resume playing again. Unfortunately it doesnt get as cool as it would be on first boot. The GPU is still warm and thus the time is quicker until the next freeze.
        ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
        32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
        WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

Problem solved!!! (so far...)

It seems there is some problem with the combination drivers/GPU/AW that makes the display drivers (320.18) stop functioning (without any error message) and reverting to fail-safe values, preventing the GPU to go over 405MHz until the system restarts.

I have checked it is not a temperature issue since the GPU temp never goes above 82ºC (a bit high, I know...) but Nvidia says until 99ºC there is no issue and Gigabyte has set the temp alarm for this model at 103ºC.

There is a workaround for this: download Nvidia Inspector and change the P8 profile maximum values to something a bit below the normal values (P0 profile) this will allow you to continue playing after the crash.

However, the solution seems to be to pump up the voltage values of the GPU. Previously, if I played with the GPU set at 950 MHz there were usually some on-screen artifacts in every game and I had to lower it to 855 MHz (Nvidia default is 810) to make them disappear. With the voltage set slightly up (can't provide and actual value, sorry) I get no artifacts and the game plays for one hour without crashing!!

I have to play more to be absolutely certain but it seems the voltage increase is what solved the issue. I hope this helps other people that may be in the same situation.

Best regards!

Comment

Thanks for posting a possible solution!
            Remedy's currently known projects:
            Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Working...
            X