ALAN WAKE - fix for startup crash.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eustonr
    started a topic PC ALAN WAKE - fix for startup crash.

ALAN WAKE - fix for startup crash.

Hi,

This is a post that I hope helps other people.

I had a problem running the GOG version of Alan Wake. It would crash at the intro screen, after running for a second or 2. No matter what I did, it would always crash 1 second in. Strangely American Nightmare did work - but Alan Wake didnt.

I was running windows 8 64bit. I tried everything in this forum, writing to GOG support - no-one could help.

However doing a vanilla WIndows 8 install DID work - but obviously that wasnt good enough.

In the end I found out what my issue was on my own - I'm letting you know in the hope that it helps other people

The problem turned out to be - drum roll - the documents directory

Apparently the game does not like it if you have a non-standard documents directory. Windows default location is c:/Users/<userid>/Documents. The Library then has a "My Documents" link that points to that location.

In my case I had moved my documents folder to my Dropbox folder, and updated the Library location.

I set the doc folder back to default, and voila - the game works perfectly. Move it again, and the game breaks.

Every other program I have was fine with my setup - so I expect the game has the location hardwired somewhere in the code. I think its a bug.

Robert

• Morry
    replied
    Re: ALAN WAKE - fix for startup crash.

Thanks for posting a solution.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X