Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alan Wake Retail DVD will not install via any procedure.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Alan Wake Retail DVD will not install via any procedure.

I have literally tried all of the ways to install. Deleted Local content and reinstalled using that weird steam installation procedure requiring the use of the run command. But every time it's the same issue. Here is what I do and what happens:

1. Insert Disc, Win+R, "<Location Of Steam>" -install E:

2. The game starts installing entire 7.55 GB to Common folder in steamapps

3. When Installation finishes the entire common folder shifts to the downloading folder and starts downloading 6.7GB Data. Leaving a solitary 2.84 GB rmdp file in commons folder within some folder and a bunch of other empty folders. (If I delete local content now the entire install of 7.55GB in downloading folder gets removed)

4. I tried exiting steam and then verifying cache integrity, it was verified 100%. Through this way, and If I copy entire install folder to common files and check integrity then, it says 4.3 GB downloaded of 6.7 GB.

5. I wait for the rest of the 6.7GB to download, upon completing downloading, if i havent moved the files from downloading folder it deletes all of them and theres nothing in the common folder, if i moved the files then it simply refuses to recognise it, claiming I have to install it again. Cant check cache integrity, or delete local content, anymore because the game apparently isn't installed!

And if anyone wants to suggest double clicking the alan wake.exe file, I cant do that either because it either pops up the error that locale_config.xml isnt found or it even states that the game isnt compatible with the version of windows. I'm running WIN 7 x64 everyone on the planet runs the game on the same version!

Also I have tried reinstalling steam at different locations, changing the game folder to different locations, everything.

What the hell do I do? I cant return the game because it's been over a month that I purchased it. I live in India if it helps. I cant download the entire game because I have a very slow connection and that too have limited free download! THIS IS THE REASON I BOUGHT THE BLOODY DISCS! Steam just keeps giving reason to people to pirate stuff.

Re: Alan Wake Retail DVD will not install via any procedure.

What is the error message you get when you go to play AW once downloading is complete? You should not be moving installation folders as it will be automated through steam. Some game files from steam get installed in the AppData directory of windows and you may be breaking the link when moving files causing corruption.

Are any other games affected? You may have corruption in your steam directory. Try to reinstall steam and when you install AW from DVD let it install without manual input. Let the full automated install do its thing.

I know you have said that its not an activation issue but if you contact Nordic games they should be able to help you on this matter as a small number of people have had the same issue and i believe were able to get it resolved after contacting Nordic Games. That is if it is a legal copy. http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/contact
    Last edited by arugula; 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM.
    ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
    32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

Originally posted by arugula View Post
      What is the error message you get when you go to play AW once downloading is complete? You should not be moving installation folders as it will be automated through steam. Some game files from steam get installed in the AppData directory of windows and you may be breaking the link when moving files causing corruption.

Are any other games affected? You may have corruption in your steam directory. Try to reinstall steam and when you install AW from DVD let it install without manual input. Let the full automated install do its thing.

I know you have said that its not an activation issue but if you contact Nordic games they should be able to help you on this matter as a small number of people have had the same issue and i believe were able to get it resolved after contacting Nordic Games. That is if it is a legal copy. http://www.nordicgames.at/index.php/contact
      I did do all of that but nothing no error after installation steam reverted the play button back to an install button. It did not recognise the content, so I could not click delete local content or anything. Anyways I just went ahead and let steam download the entire game took about 12 hours but it worked. I've since then backed up my game files for future use. I did contact nordic but they didnt have any clue to why it was happening.

Comment

Glad to hear you finally got it working! Have fun playing!
        ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
        32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
        WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

Working...
        X