Alan Wake Steam very slow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Alan Wake Steam very slow

Hi, I'm trying to play the game, I bought it through steam. I played it like a year ago with a worse GPU than now, and it worked fine. Now, I can't get more than 10-12 fps, wich makes the game quite unplayable for me, and cannot figure out why this is happening, I've found people on the internet with lower specs than mine who can run it smoothly.

My specs are:
    Windows 8.1
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    Nvidia GTX 560 se
    12 GB kingston RAM

Please help!

Re: Alan Wake Steam very slow

Are you perhaps using a very large resolution, above 1920x1080? What are your graphics settings? Alan Wake can definitely be challenging even for your system when taken to the extreme.

Also, I obviously have to ask you to make sure you have the latest drivers installed. It's just one of those things.

Comment

I'm trying it at 1440x900. I don't think it's a hardware problem, fraps says I'm getting around 12 fps, doesn't matter if I choose high or very low, that's what seems weird to me. I can play any other game (bioshock infinite, tomb raider, skyrim) at max settings.

Sorry I forgot to mention it, but yes, I'm using latest drivers, I even tried beta with no success.

Also, I tried installing on my SSD, guessing that maybe the textures were too heavy, but same result.

Comment

If graphic drivers and Directx are both up to date it may be a conflict with other programs that may be running. Did you install directx? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=35

If you know how to control your startup and services programs then you can disable them to see which one may be causing a conflict. It may even be your anti virus if you have that.

This thread someone had a similar issue with windows 8 and a GTX 570: http://community.remedygames.com/showthread.php?t=9658
        Last edited by arugula; 02-05-2014, 06:03 AM.
        ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
        32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
        WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

Comment

I have the same issue after i updated to 8.1 from 8.

On windows 8 i was running smooth on 60fps, now on the 8.1, 20~30fps max.

I guess the game isn't optimized for the 8.1 D:
          GuiBia. i7-4500U Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.00 GHz), 8Gb Ram, AMD Radeon HD 8850M 2GB DDR5 and 1Tb HD.

Comment

As you guessed, unfortunately the game isn't optimized for Windows 8.1 (or any version of W8, as the PC version was released a half year earlier than the OS). It's unlikely that there'll be any updates to the game to support it, but hopefully the drivers get up to speed soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauri View Post
              As you guessed, unfortunately the game isn't optimized for Windows 8.1 (or any version of W8, as the PC version was released a half year earlier than the OS). It's unlikely that there'll be any updates to the game to support it, but hopefully the drivers get up to speed soon.
              I don't think that should make any difference. I am not aware of a single game that runs much worse on W8 than on W7 that was released before W8 was out. I refer to any AAA game from 2010, 2011 and 2012. Can you please substantiate your claims?

As far as I am aware, games should see a very slight increase in performance in W8, as the core of W8 is basically just a speedier version of W7.

Comment

I have same problem as OP, beat game years ago and now it is stuck in 20-40 fps at 720p all the way to 4k. I believe it to be a driver issue from NV not the game itself. gfx setting all very low.

Anyone figure it out?

gtx titan, 2500k not OC, 8gb ram. Hardware works with other games, so prob software.
                DDU clean drivers many times, updated and cleaned, even went back a few updates.
                Clean booted. Updated dx. tried compatibility, tried nosound, tried re-installing, update cache, launch from .exe, prob more I can't think of.

Comment

Working...
                X