Epic Games Store Exclusive!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Store Exclusive!

505 just signed a deal with Epic for one year. Was looking forward to be on Steam but this may be the reason to try out Epic?

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/remed...-for-one-year/

Other exclusives coming to Epic:
    https://kotaku.com/epic-snags-more-m...ant-1833426574
    ASUS MAXIMUS XI CODE, Intel i9-9900K 4.7GHz
    32GB G.SKILL DDR4 32000MHz, EVGA GTX 1080Ti SLI
    WD BLACK 1TB NVMe, Win 10 64-bit Pro

I did not expect the game to be that bad ... What has happened to my most beloved game developer?

Comment

Originally posted by DrNGoc View Post
      I did not expect the game to be that bad ... What has happened to my most beloved game developer?
      Just because it's releasing on Epic doesn't make the game automatically bad.

However, I do hope this doesn't hurt the sales of Control and make Remedy look like the have another flopped game. There's obviously more customers on Steam and how many will actually make the jump to Epic? By the time it comes out on Steam it may be forgotten about or the motivation to buy will have worn off.

They do not have any luck with publishers and being the way Remedy is I am surprised they don't release games on their own.

Comment

This is such a bummer, need to install a new launcher for just one game, or wait one year, seriously one whole year, not even 3 months or 6 months. Valve will have their games on Steam, Id their games on Bethesda Launcher, Epic their games on Epic Games Launcher, Crytek on Origin, far out, we will soon need a launcher for every developer/publisher combo in the world. Too much fragmentation to cater to publisher greed. I have supported Remedy by buying three copies of Quantum Break (Microsoft Store + Steam digital + Physical copy), and Got Alan Wake on both Steam and GOG, and I was so excited for Control coming to Steam, was a sure day 1 buy for me, but no, need a new launcher now for this game, seriously. I will pass this one then, what a bummer. The publisher wanted 88% share, well they are getting 0% from me. Way to piss off a certain day 1 purchaser away. And Kitguru article even says that the Epic store deal even with Metro Exodus got a poor reception, and that is for a huge AAA title. I quote form the Kitguru article,

Epic Games has taken to a GDC 2019 Q&A to reveal that it will stop with its controversial year-long exclusivity deals in the future, after poor reception to its efforts with Metro Exodus and a number of other titles locked to its Store
        (https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/fe...-its-platform/ )

If a huge title like Metro Exodus got poor reception, how much chance does a little company like Remedy stand with it's niche titles and customer base, too much greed from the publisher.When the game will fail in sales on the PC platform, finger pointing will start, representatives of the company will come out in suits and ties and and sing how it flopped on PC because of PC piracy, and the man who made the decision to make it Epic Store one year exclusive will resign and walk away with a few million dollar gift bonus and a pat on the back,and praises will be sung how a great of him to take Remedy to the next level, way to go, such a shame - a great game wasted away dues to poor decisions induced by greed. And no I am not a big fan of Steam at all, I still hate online authentication, and yes I know it will release on Microsoft Store too, but if you don't release it on Steam, at least release it on PC platform people love, like GOG ! For God sake greed !

Comment

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this! I didn't realise before that Steam's royalties were so high, and especially with the pretty hefty deals they tend to have, that's not much of a profit per sale for the devs. And I really love that developers get more money for actually making the game rather than it being given to platforms for hosting it. So I'm glad that Control is coming to the Epic Games Store because it gives players the opportunity to support the developers in a bigger way. Plus signing up to the store is free, and not that different from other places like Steam or Origin.

However, I know that the Epic Store hasn't won over everyone. I'm kind of surprised that they would do another exclusivity deal. Given the response to the Microsoft Store version of Quantum Break, which I don't think was Remedy's fault but they did face quite a backlash. I felt that Remedy was intentionally trying to focus more on the marketing of the PC edition to win back gamers. So I'm a little unsure why they would want to have an exclusive deal again.

Especially when the exclusivity deals and the Epic's approach to acquiring those exclusives haven't sat well with other gaming communities. With Control, we're five months away from launch and until now, the official word has always been that it was due to distributed on Steam. It's close but I know of other games which were crowdfunded with the promise of Steam keys annnnnd then were told that it was exclusive to Epic.

It's too early to tell the impact that the exclusivity deal will have, but I really hope it doesn't have a negative impact on sales. Some of the details, including exclusivity costs, might be released in August in their financial report, so I'm interested in learning more about it. I think it's the kind of thing where it looked great on paper but I don't know if they properly understood the potential backlash it might have. Although I would seriously love to be proved wrong and have the PC edition a success.
          The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

First of all, I have to agree with GameBunny77 . It really looks like a short-sighted decision fueled by greed to me.
            The only one who profits from Epic Store Exclusivity is Epic Games and the respective Dev/Publisher who is putting their game on it.
            Yet, it should be the players' profit.

People always see the low royalties you pay on Epic but never ask why (aside from the obvious); and automatically assume it's a good thing.
            If you think about what Steam offers (Modding/Workshop-Support, cloud-saves, community-driven review system, ...) you can easily tell where the extra royalties go to. It's simple math to me.

I believe in freedom of choice, and by putting the game on the Epic Store you take that choice from me, because I will never install that store on my PC. Not even for this.
            This is genuinely the first time ever that I'm disappointed by Remedy.
            Like I already had to buy the xbox version of Metro Exodus and I'd much rather prefer to play the PC version in that case, this is getting out of hand.
            Guess I have to get the xbox version of Control too
            I've put the Imagination in its Place.

Comment

Don’t be disappointed in Remedy as this was not their decision. 505 games is the publisher and it’s up to them. I have said in another post that I am very suprised Remedy does not distribute its own games by now.

I enjoyed playing MP, AW, and QB and Im sure ill enjoy Control so it doesnt matter to me what platform it is on. Whether I buy it off of Epic or Steam, Remedy will still have my support.

Plus, Epic is still in an infant state. Same with Steam when they were first starting out. Only in time will you be given extra support for games with mods, cloud saves or whatever else they’ll bring.

Epic is a good company and they are not the greedy ones. Unreal engine is free to anyone to use until your game is ready to ship. Just look at doom. That game looks and plays amazing on any platform. Its their own engine and it shows.

Sounds like they support the game industry as a whole and I believe this will benefit the gamers as much as the publishers/developers.

Especially indie devs who may have a hard time getting their game launched. I feel this competition is good and its a good way to get Steam to bring even better features to a platform that has become quite stagnant.
              Last edited by arugula; 03-27-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

As I have already implied, I still heavily disagree, but I also don't want to argue about that topic.
                And I am still disappointed in Remedy, as it was their decision to partner with 505. They know what they've signed.
                Today I read that there is going to be content exclusive to the digital Playstation 4 Version.
                No Collector's Edition either - again!
                I really can't imagine this situation getting worse.

Also, I'm not sure what you meant with Doom, but Doom is not from Epic Games and it is not running on Unreal Engine.
                Epic haven't released a game since Gears 3 (2011). They pretty much killed all of their projects when Fortnite came out - RIP Unreal Tournament.
                Last edited by LSKzane; 03-26-2019, 06:54 PM.

Comment

We have Steam, Microsoft Store (uninstalled), UPlay (uninstalled), Origin and now Epic. I'm sure we shall have more by the end of the year

Comment

I feel like it was a pretty late decision to have it has an Epic exclusive at launch. 505Games' Community Manager was originally posting regular updates on the Steam page until late February when it all stopped. I guess they agreed sometime around then? It's a little strange as the publisher was previously promoting it as a Steam exclusive.
                    The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

Originally posted by LSKzane View Post
                      As I have already implied, I still heavily disagree, but I also don't want to argue about that topic.
                      And I am still disappointed in Remedy, as it was their decision to partner with 505. They know what they've signed.
                      Today I read that there is going to be content exclusive to the digital Playstation 4 Version.
                      No Collector's Edition either - again!
                      I really can't imagine this situation getting worse.

Also, I'm not sure what you meant with Doom, but Doom is not from Epic Games and it is not running on Unreal Engine.
                      Epic haven't released a game since Gears 3 (2011). They pretty much killed all of their projects when Fortnite came out - RIP Unreal Tournament.
                      Lol, I really thought doom was epic for some reason and didnt really follow up in that one. haha. I edited the post.

I think Epic store will be fine. I understand you dont want to install like many others. That is your choice. It was same thing with Steam when it first launched. Everyone hated it and made an excuse on why they wouldnt use. Nobody wanted to have to log in and always have an online internet connection just to play a game, but look at where we are now.

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
                      I feel like it was a pretty late decision to have it has an Epic exclusive at launch. 505Games' Community Manager was originally posting regular updates on the Steam page until late February when it all stopped. I guess they agreed sometime around then? It's a little strange as the publisher was previously promoting it as a Steam exclusive.
                      Were they promoting as Steam exclusive? All i saw that it was coming to PC but wasnt specified. Didnt see anyone mention it was Steam exclusive? I think everyone just automatically assumes when a game releases on PC it will automatically be on Steam. Which is understandable how big it has gotten but Epic is about to make a big splash.

Comment

Originally posted by arugula View Post

Lol, I really thought doom was epic for some reason and didnt really follow up in that one. haha. I edited the post.

I think Epic store will be fine. I understand you dont want to install like many others. That is your choice. It was same thing with Steam when it first launched. Everyone hated it and made an excuse on why they wouldnt use. Nobody wanted to have to log in and always have an online internet connection just to play a game, but look at where we are now.

Were they promoting as Steam exclusive? All i saw that it was coming to PC but wasnt specified. Didnt see anyone mention it was Steam exclusive? I think everyone just automatically assumes when a game releases on PC it will automatically be on Steam. Which is understandable how big it has gotten but Epic is about to make a big splash.
                        I don't think any body hates Epic store because of just another launcher issue. It is a factor, but it is more then that, like their dirty one year exclusive policy.

And you are wondering where they were promoting STEAM, you don't even have to further, Steam was promoted in there very first trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Idtqyx6gsU

Their World Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpyYRBLrPd4

No one is assuming, it was right there in the official videos, you see.

Comment

Originally posted by GameBunny77 View Post

I don't think any body hates Epic store because of just another launcher issue. It is a factor, but it is more then that, like their dirty one year exclusive policy.

And you are wondering where they were promoting STEAM, you don't even have to further, Steam was promoted in there very first trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Idtqyx6gsU

Their World Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpyYRBLrPd4

No one is assuming, it was right there in the official videos, you see.
                          They just list Steam as a platform nor does it say exclusive, and nor does it give a release date. They still releasing on steam, but in 2020.

Who knows, maybe Remedy will jump in and have 505 games change this? They really haven't stated anything publicly yet. Maybe they will soon as the Steam discussion pages are filling up with people annoyed at it being Epic exclusive. Hopefully they will release a statement.

Comment

I wouldn't have such a big problem with the Epic Games Store if it was an actual good alternative to Steam (like gog.com for example), but there is literally no reason to use it aside from playing the exclusive games that they bought.

And now that Jaden mentions it, yeah there were updates on the steam page I remember those. Weird how fast something can happen when there's money in it.
                            Still, it's a dick-move to me but I'm looking forward to play the PC-Version in 2020.

Comment

Honestly I may not buy this game at all because of this, and I own both a PC, Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro. I don't condone these kind of dealings and it says a lot about the consumer oriented choices the publisher is making. Sure Remedy has no involvement with this decisions as far as I am aware but it reflects on them and it reflects on their product. I also have other problems which I'm about to bring up in another thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X