Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please add lower difficulty setting

Hello,
    I've been with Remedy since the original Max Payne (yeah, I'm that old), so shooting bad guys is not that exciting for me anymore. What I still quite enjoy, however, is a good story and a new world to explore. If reviews are to believe, Control really delivers here, but I can't really enjoy it because of the combat difficulty: I don't want to be frustrated, I just want to enjoy the game in my own terms. I'm playing Control on PS4 and I'm not good at shooters with controller, so this adds to the overall difficulty.
    So, guys, please, add the ability to lower the difficulty for all the people who just want a laidback experience. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Thanks!

Yeah towards the end it does get a bit ridiculous. I ended up just cheesing a lot of the later battles with cheap tactics that took ages but avoided damage. Feel like the amount of times I died wouldn't be so bad if the checkpoints were a little more forgiving. Got fed up of dying then having to run for ages just to get back to the same place and die again. Overall though I did enjoy the game and it is worth sticking with it. But yeah its frustrating in such a story driven game to have to keep getting stuck just because of how many enemies they throw at you

Comment

Originally posted by Cw128 View Post
      I ended up just cheesing a lot of the later battles with cheap tactics that took ages but avoided damage.
      I think I know which moment you're talking about. I had to do a similar tactic and just return to previous platforms and run around with my shield up collecting health. I completed the game and I do like the combat and the variety, but admittedly I struggled quite a lot with it too. I know some people live for that combat challenge, and it's been so well received in reviews, but secretly I definitely wouldn't mind if there was a bit more of a helping hand.
      The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

AgCooper something that really helped me out was ignoring aiming down sights and prioritising upgrading energy and launch. Launch deals massive damage and if you're running (click in left thumb stick) you're quite hard to hit. Ignoring aim down sights makes it easier to just pummel enemies with the grip gun.

I hope those tips can maybe help you and also that they do add something if not lower difficulty some kind of assists. Keep well.

Comment

On PC there are sliders for aim assist and "sticky aim". Assuming they're on the consoles, they might act as difficulty controls (or at least help if you're having trouble with the shooting).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post

I think I know which moment you're talking about. I had to do a similar tactic and just return to previous platforms and run around with my shield up collecting health. I completed the game and I do like the combat and the variety, but admittedly I struggled quite a lot with it too. I know some people live for that combat challenge, and it's been so well received in reviews, but secretly I definitely wouldn't mind if there was a bit more of a helping hand.
            Yeah I spent so much time flying back to those previous platforms haha I don't mind a game being challenging, but it just seemed unfair/impossible a lot of the time, considering how many projectiles are coming at you half the time and how little cover there is.

As for the difficulty being well received in reviews though, I don't know. I came across this in the review from The Verge:

"The problem is that the game relies too much on combat. Often, enemies would respawn seemingly at random, and Iíd be forced to replay simple but tedious combat scenarios multiple times. This discouraged exploration. You can get around the battles somewhat with Controlís fast-travel feature, though, of course, that isnít really exploring at all. Worse still are some of the boss-like battles, which seem downright unfair, throwing wave after wave of bad guys at you. Itís a frustrating way to slow your progress, and there were times ó particularly one egregiously long battle toward the end of the game ó where I almost gave up on Control because I didnít want to replay the same fight for the dozenth time"

Comment

• Mackleless
              Mackleless commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the biggest thing I haven't heard a lot about is that you shouldn't really be trying to get cover. The game is definitely configured in a way that movement is the thing that saves you, and I know it gives you a tip on a loading screen to this effect, but I think it needed to communicate this more clearly. If you keep moving enemies have a hard time tracking you and landing shots. In the whole game, the only time I needed cover was the second time facing Tommasi, fortunately, there was a giant rock in the middle of the room.

Having difficulty options e.g: Narrative/Easy Normal & hard seems a no brainer, as well as NG+ & manual saves. Remedy is charging AAA price for this game, while we are not expecting big open world 50+ hours game (due to manpower), but at least typical settings (NG+, multiple difficulties & manual saves) on AAA games should be doable.

I play quite a bit of shooters (Uncharted, Far cry 5, Horizon Zero dawn being the last 3), & Control is definitely on the tougher side, a few shots & you are dead, & the checkpoints (or lack of it) wasn't as generous, as well as the slow reloading speed make it a bit of chore.

Consider Control is at least 1/2 adventure/narrative game (sort of), I think there should be at least an easy/narrative mode, for people who just want to dive in the narrative/story.

Comment

• Mackleless
              Mackleless commented
              Editing a comment
              Something I replied to someone else in this thread, I think its because of the taking cover thing. You'll have to assess for yourself if this rings true. The game is really set up for you to not use cover. Moving, and running in particular, makes it really hard for enemies to hit you. While staying still even using shield just makes you more of a target. I've even just run around a room for a bit to see how it works, and it really takes enemies a long time to get a shot on target if you keep running. Then moving with shield up adds an extra layer. The recharging ammo while shield is up perk, is also very useful.

Looking at the games you listed Uncharted and Horizon are two of my most favourite games of all time. Horizon has some moments of incredibly steep difficulty, I don't know if I would consider any of Control as difficult as some moments in Horizon. But we're all different. If you're still playing through Conrtol consider just moving around more and see if you do better that way. I hope the tip helps.

I completely agree. I usually play games on "normal" difficulty if there is an option and I have no problems. I might die once or twice until I figure out the trick to a fight, but I don't die four times in one mission section and then realize there are THREE sections to the mission with no save points and I have to redo ALL THREE SECTIONS every time I die. And don't tell me "git gud." I'm not practicing the piano to play a flawless concert performance. I'm playing a game for fun. I already paid $60 for it. I'm not pumping in quarters to an arcade machine every time I die. There's no point to that for me. It is just repetitive and boring.
            I like a good ten-hour game with a story. When I play open-world games I play on easy because I don't want to waste my actual life doing meaningless fetch quests just to level up enough to get through the story missions. Horizon Zero Dawn had a fairly easy "easy" mode, and then they added a much easier "story" mode! Days Gone asks you if you want to skip some missions if you fail a few times. I never play Souls-like games because they are just no fun at all for me.
            I almost gave up on Control four times, and then had to go do stupid side missions like finding plants to talk to and burning trash in order to continue. What should have been ten hours took over twice as long. What's fun for me are new missions with new scenarios, when something different happens like the refrigerator boss or the ashtray maze. Battling the same enemies over and over again as they keep re-spawning in rooms I've previously cleared is not fun or meaningful in any way. Keep it for the Souls lovers, but give everybody else an easy mode.
            Like others, I jumped back to previous platforms and shot enemies from afar in the Hedron Chamber with the satellite dishes and also the final fight. When I fought in the mirror room I hid behind the upstairs pillars the whole time. It took a long time, but a lot less time than dying again.
            What's even worse is that some things you need to power up are only given after boring side missions. I tried the training course twice as soon as I found it early on, failed, and moved on. So I never got the shield that would have helped a lot.
            I really wanted to like the game, and if it would have had the option to save and "restart mission" or "restart checkpoint" during those three-section fights, it might have been worth it. But as it was I don't even remember the fun parts. I only remember being annoyed or bored. I don't even remember how it ended. I didn't even care by that point. What a shame. It could be Remedy's best game, but instead it is the worst by far. Making copies and delivering mail was one of the most enjoyable parts of the game, and that's really sad.

Comment

• Mackleless
              Mackleless commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't understand this comment. This is not a "git gud", I just had such a different experience from you so want to compare notes. There are so many issues you have that you answer yourself. I understand you prefer an easier game, and I get that. I played through all of the Uncharted series on easy. Sometimes you want something in particular from a game. But it just seems like Control delivered what you want, right up until they didn't basically give you a god mode.

One thing I really agree with. I too found the checkpointing annoying, I realised at some point that all the checkpoints were within 20 seconds away of the mission I was on/boss I was fighting. Coupled with a load time (I was fortunate to have an SSD, but without it... yeesh) I definitely think that is an annoyance they could have avoided.

I got through most of the game without using shield much, but I don't know how you dealt with the invisible Hiss, because lifting your shield as they appear seemed like the only viable strategy. But I think the game definitely wanted you to keep moving which made it hard for enemies to hit you, so I mostly ignored aim down sites in favour of just continuing to move and shoot.

Not gonna lie I spent a lot of time trying to do that training course, but giving up after doing it twice seems like you played yourself. I think it took me 15 tries, which is a minute per attempt. A few of those were just, meh, when you do something really dumb and completely my fault. When I realised I could use launch to hit the targets it also became much easier. When I finished it I finished it with so much time to spare, it was one of those moments where I felt like the game was being unfair right up until I realised I was being an idiot.

As for an easy mode in general, I don't think any of the fights were that difficult, definitely not a Dark Soulsesque experience (I wouldn't have continued), but that's subjective I don't think I'm a particularly good gamer but could be some things just seem easier to me than they do for you. That said the game definitely didn't prohibit cheesing in any way. So in that regard, the easy mode was there, just more of a cheesy mode.

But yeah, in general, you complain about the combat, but then when you are given a non-combat option like the training course, then you just leave it. You say the delivering mail or making copies was enjoyable, but then you are upset at talking to plants? You're upset at having to redo combat, but the game gives you fast travel points that allow you to skip most of the combat. The game cant let you skip all of it because then you wouldn't get resources to upgrade your weapon. And as your launch powers up, I don't think any of those random fights that pop up last longer than twenty seconds. You complain about there being no easy mode, but acknowledge the most difficult sections can be cheesed.

Anyway, sorry you feel the game didn't deliver. I had a great time. The checkpointing on those parts wasn't great on the more challenging parts. But I wouldn't have liked the game to remove the challenge completely. I'm just unsure what you were looking for? Would you have preferred a game without combat? No Metroidvania vibes? Like I said looking at your complaints a few of them seemed contradictory, so interested in what would have made things better.

• thanatopsis
              thanatopsis commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not complaining about the combat. The combat was fun and fluid, but a couple hours is enough. I don’t want to spend my life doing it. I'm complaining about repetition, the lack of OPTIONAL in-mission checkpoints, and a level-up system which requires doing dull, tedious side missions in order to progress in the main story.
              I don't mind enemies being reused, but I want to fight them in different areas. I don't want to fight the same enemies for the tenth time in the mailroom or cafeteria just because I have to go back through it to get somewhere else.

I don’t prefer an easy game; I prefer a shorter game with less needless repetition. Uncharted on normal was fine. In fact the puzzles and platforming were so ridiculously simple that they were laughable. I loved that Shadow of the Tomb Raider finally got difficulty options for traversal to turn off all the white painted ledges. Lara still gave too many hints even with puzzle difficulty up, but it was better. But Uncharted had save points within missions. Take going up the river with the barrels coming at you in the first game. if you died, it didn’t always put you back to the very beginning of the river. If you made it to a certain spot up the river, it would put you back to that save spot. It was a difficult section, but it was not so repetitive as you didn’t have to do the entire river if you died right near the end. Control is not like that. Also, Uncharted gives you guns you need when you need them. If you are in an area where you need a sniper rifle, there is one there for you to grab if you want it. In Control, you can go the whole game without getting a much-needed shield.

Without the shield I dealt with the invisible Hiss by dying enough times to make it boring, tedious, and repetitive. And then I did even more boring missions hunting for plants to talk to until I was powerful enough to get by those sections.

I left the training course after a couple tries because, again, I’m not complaining about combat or difficulty, I’m complaining about boring repetition. I figured I needed to level up more, so my energy wouldn’t run out I could dash further or use launch more, because that’s what I had to do in other sections. So I left it until the end and did it in no time. I can’t imagine doing it 15 times. If you can do that, even if it only takes 15 minutes, no wonder the other repetitive things in the game didn’t bother you.
              I also left it because there were plenty of other times missions were offered to me that were impossible at the time. I spent an hour running around trying to find some secret entrance to the Sealed Threshold Hall to do the Japanese lantern side mission when there was no way to get there without first triggering the seemingly unrelated A Matter of Time side mission, which wasn’t even given as an option until I stumble upon the right dude. I also tried to get into the Nostalgia area (the red place by the cafeteria) but gave up after a couple tries. Doing that 15 times wouldn’t have done me any good.

No, the fights weren’t that difficult, but when there are three waves, and you die on the first wave twice, and then you learn to make it past that, but die on the second wave twice, and then die on the third wave twice, that means you’ve done that first wave seven times, the second wave five times, and the third wave three times, and that’s too many for how similar they are. That’s boring and repetitive. That’s what I’m talking about. I want a save point so I can continue on to the second wave immediately, like the barrel scene in Uncharted. That’s what easy mode could do.

I was being sarcastic when I said delivering the mail was the most enjoyable part. They put it there to be a joke sort of, but finding plants was just as much of a waste of time. Delivering the mail to all the desks and cleaning up the coffee mugs was as monotonous as being forced to do all the sections of a mission over again, or having to fight the same wave of re-spawning enemies. Frankly I wouldn't mind a game where all you do is walk around making copies and cleaning up coffee cups if it has a good story. Stanly Parable, Edith Finch, Beginner's Guide and Firewatch were all good. But if I fell out of the tree in Edith Finch, I didn't have to replay all the previous stories before continuing.

Control certainly could have let me skip all the boring side missions to level up. Remedy did it with Max Payne, and Alan Wake, and Quantum Break. I don’t remember having to do some boring side mission to get the abilities I needed in QB to continue; I just got them as part of the main mission. Take the new God of War, for example. There are tons of side quests for people who want them. But you don’t have to do them. There are certain items you need before you can go to certain areas, but you get them as part of the main story automatically. You don’t have to make sure you have enough points to buy them from the merchants. You get as strong as you need to get to get through the story mission on their own. And their are difficulty levels if normal is too frustrating.

I only have a vague idea of what Metroidvania is as I haven’t played any, but they all sound like repetitive time-wasters. Play Control without doing a single side mission or countermeasure or anything besides main story missions and tell me it isn’t difficult. That’s why it needs an “easy” mode, just like Horizon Zero Dawn and practically every other open-world game, for people like me who want a short, story-driven game and don’t want to do the repetitive side missions on order to get through the story. I want something like Max Payne, Alan Wake, and Quantum break. That’s what would have made things better. That’s what I was looking for.

• SirBill
              SirBill commented
              Editing a comment
              Mackleless : The invisible Hiss aren't really that invisible, they appeared as a cloud of swirling color you can see approaching you. They are effectively invisible if there are a lot of other enemies around though... if there are invisible Hiss around I tried to always be perched somewhere they could not reach until most enemies were gone, then I'd go a quieter corner where I could see them approach and deal with them. I found they would not hit you with the fire-vomit if you either (A) hit them right away with a Launch object (that you had ready in your hand before they appeared), or (B) [even better] use dodge backwards away from them - they will not hit you, and you have time to hit them once or twice before they vanish again. The very last part of the last level before you reach Dylan was super tough for me at first because of these invisible things, but even there you can almost clear a wave then go somewhere decent to deal with them - I thought the best place was actually the entry tunnel for the last area, I used Charge/Launch constantly and just turned the hallway into a killing zone that not even the invisible Hiss survived, plus there was so much spare health laying about the hallway from past kills any inadvertent hits were healed instantly.

Horizon Zero dawn & Uncharted have some tought fights & sequences. Especially the Fireclaw in Frozen wild. The thing is you almost ALWAYS restarted near where you died, be it the shooting gallery, the boss fight, or before a platform you missed, or a near checkpoint in the chase sequence. Also, the loading is instantaneous. So they are not frustrating. Also, shocking I know, they both allow manual saves. That gives you a peace of mind in case you screw up before a save, & can't proceed, or have corrupted save file. It's not a major effort to have a manual save. The original max Payne allows you to save anywhere, create as much save files as you want, which was traditional of PC games, until "console" save points system creep to PC games.

Comment

Agreed that during fights with multiple sections there should be checkpoints in between each section. Its becoming really repetitive and frustrating rather quickly if not. Theres no fun in retrying something like 20 times just trying to find a way to cheese it in the end because you are fed of it

Comment

I'd like to see combat difficulty adjustments as well.

Comment

Like spawning random mob right in your back while being low health is a no-go seriously

Comment

Somehow the weapon(s) were effeminate'd. The original pistol I picked up was fine. However, as I got the other "gun" - it looks stupid. it needs to be a big longer and bigger to make it look more realistic and manly. You can do this SOYBOYS! :does the sensory overload clap:

Comment

The difficulty curve needs no adjustment, how difficult encounters are is almost entirely stringent on how much you've upgraded and what loadout you've got selected. If you come unprepared you're going to get destroyed.

You as the player determine the difficulty of the game with the decisions you make relative to your character and weapon attributes.

Comment

• Mackleless
                        Mackleless commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm pretty much in agreement with this. Running the main path of any game that has rpg mechanics means you are choosing to play the game in a more difficult manner.

• SirBill
                        SirBill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think the very last fight at the end (third section) is pretty hard even fully powered up, unless you use strategic positioning. Even then it took a few tries to get the right strategic placement. Also mold boss is more about skill than simply being able to use powerful weapons/abilities to hammer it.

• Enaisa
                        Enaisa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Rather disagree here. Upgrades and loadout have very little overall effect on how difficult the game is, so much as your tactics do.

I do enjoy the game's difficulty itself, but i find the need to return 400 meters away from the boss fight very annoying and a weak decision.
                      On the other hand, the gameplay is pretty neat and repeating combat will reward you anyway. spawning far away from a boss fight is just not fun though.

Comment

Working...
                      X