Death Rally for Windows released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Death Rally for Windows released

Got this as a gift from a friend in class in New York when I was 8 years old
    After moving from New York I really became "homesick". Then comes Max Payne, changes my view of things when I was 11 years old. The real shock comes afterwards when I learn that both these classics are made by the same company.

I love you Remedy. You guys, packed together, form my personal Jesus!
    Last edited by ScarletSnake; 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM.
    Mirrors are more fun than television.
    Verdict: MP1>MP3>MP2

Comment

My daughter (23) just got an iphone and emailed me that she hasn't been this excited about technology since Death Rally! So I looked you up and found this Windows version, and sent her the link. Thanks so much! This game is truly one of the greats.

Comment

When we play the new version on pc (windows 7)?

Comment

I would agree with a Linux port. However, I did get it to run smoothly on Ubuntu through Wine... with only one major issue. NO SOUND. Not sure why there is no sound when I have sound in every other program i run through Wine. If this is truly a simple Windoze port, then the sound should not be an issue, but alas, it is! No sound whatsoever! Perhaps some light could be shed on what codecs or sound files are used in this Windows port so I could steer my efforts to clearing that up in the Wine startup? Thanks for the game and all! Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
            I don't think I'd want to upload the mod tracks, but we remastered a few of the old tracks (as we considered using them for the iOS version) and maybe I could upload one of those of these days...
            Any chance this is still happening? I'm still eagerly waiting for the remastered original soundtrack!

Pleeeease consider releasing it, I love it to death. I'd PAY way more than is reasonable to get my hands on it.

Comment

Hey Everyone,

my name is Alex1os and I'm a huge fan of Death Rally especially the old dos one. Been playing the demo from death rally as i was about 11 years old and i still remember when I finally got the complete game on christmas, I was hooked so badly, i was extremly happy to finaly be able to drive the last 3 cars. (in the demo u could only drive vagabond/dervish/sentinel)

What I've always wanted to have though was the possibilty to change my cars color to something like the ai was driving, for example that nice dark braun from Nasty Nick etc...

I would like to know now that there is a windows 7 version if it is possible to somehow change the players car colors like braun, white, black etc?

Lg from a lifetime fan /still racing it from time to time^^)

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1os View Post
                Hey Everyone,

my name is Alex1os and I'm a huge fan of Death Rally especially the old dos one. Been playing the demo from death rally as i was about 11 years old and i still remember when I finally got the complete game on christmas, I was hooked so badly, i was extremly happy to finaly be able to drive the last 3 cars. (in the demo u could only drive vagabond/dervish/sentinel)

What I've always wanted to have though was the possibilty to change my cars color to something like the ai was driving, for example that nice dark braun from Nasty Nick etc...

I would like to know now that there is a windows 7 version if it is possible to somehow change the players car colors like braun, white, black etc?

Lg from a lifetime fan /still racing it from time to time^^)

Just registered to leave a reply and share my thoughts.

No, the Windows/Free version is just a simple port (without multiplayer) of the original 1996, without any new features. However there are tutorials around here that teach you how to make the DOS version run, including multiplayer.

Either way, I'm here to leave a big thank you for the port, but how much time has passed since its release? Almost 6yrs? It's amazing there is still quite some interest in the game after all these years.

This means that as long as there still is some interest, new things can happen. That's why I'll leave here what I'd like to see, provided that there will be a second release or something of the Windows version in the future:

- More car colors (especially the AI ones) available.
                - Multiplayer (of course, it's gonna be amazing and ridiculously fun).
                - Higher resolutions, up to full HD.
                - Linux + Mac support.
                - Modding Tools. Wouldn't it be great if someone could make custom content such as maps, cars, etc.?
                - Steam Release, possibly featuring Steam Workshop (Modding Tools eh?)

Maybe I'm asking for too much or I'm just dreaming, but if we'd see at least some of these happen, it'll be amazing. As I said, as long as there still is interest in the game, anything is possible.

Remember Doom and Doom 2? After all these years, they're on Steam working on modern PCs and CAN be modded.

YES! IT CAN HAPPEN WITH DEATH RALLY AS WELL!
                Last edited by BossN00b; 08-17-2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BossN00b View Post
                  This means that as long as there still is some interest, new things can happen. That's why I'll leave here what I'd like to see, provided that there will be a second release or something of the Windows version in the future:

- More car colors (especially the AI ones) available.
                  - Multiplayer (of course, it's gonna be amazing and ridiculously fun).
                  - Higher resolutions, up to full HD.
                  - Linux + Mac support.
                  - Modding Tools. Wouldn't it be great if someone could make custom content such as maps, cars, etc.?
                  - Steam Release, possibly featuring Steam Workshop (Modding Tools eh?)

Maybe I'm asking for too much or I'm just dreaming, but if we'd see at least some of these happen, it'll be amazing. As I said, as long as there still is interest in the game, anything is possible.

Remember Doom and Doom 2? After all these years, they're on Steam working on modern PCs and CAN be modded.

YES! IT CAN HAPPEN WITH DEATH RALLY AS WELL!
                  Howdy! Welcome to the forums!

This thread was created back in 2009, so there's been a few new developments with the Death Rally series that you might be excited about. There's actually about three versions of the game that you can check out.

As you know, you can download the original 1996 title, legally for free. It packs in all that nostalgic goodness. (Quick note for anyone checking out the forums: it's not available on the previous link, as Joystiq is sadly not around anymore, but it is up on the Remedy site!)

But getting to the upgrades that you waned, BossN00b.
                  There's two Steam versions that you might be interested in; the classic title and the revamped version that came out around 2011.

The classic version on Steam does come with multiplayer for four players, as well as Mac support. I'm not too sure about the customization of the cars within the game, I haven't been able to checked this version out yet. But it should be pretty close to what we had in the original game.

The other version is the newer, shiny 2011 version. It's available on Steam as well as iOS and Android devices. That version expands on the original game and incorporates new elements. There's multiplayer as well as HD graphics. It also has about 90 achievements and keyboard/controller support. OH! You might want to check out THIS site too, it's an interesting look at the updates as well as production notes.

I hope this helps!
                  The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
                    Howdy! Welcome to the forums!

This thread was created back in 2009, so there's been a few new developments with the Death Rally series that you might be excited about. There's actually about three versions of the game that you can check out.

As you know, you can download the original 1996 title, legally for free. It packs in all that nostalgic goodness. (Quick note for anyone checking out the forums: it's not available on the previous link, as Joystiq is sadly not around anymore, but it is up on the Remedy site!)

But getting to the upgrades that you waned, BossN00b.
                    There's two Steam versions that you might be interested in; the classic title and the revamped version that came out around 2011.

The classic version on Steam does come with multiplayer for four players, as well as Mac support. I'm not too sure about the customization of the cars within the game, I haven't been able to checked this version out yet. But it should be pretty close to what we had in the original game.

The other version is the newer, shiny 2011 version. It's available on Steam as well as iOS and Android devices. That version expands on the original game and incorporates new elements. There's multiplayer as well as HD graphics. It also has about 90 achievements and keyboard/controller support. OH! You might want to check out THIS site too, it's an interesting look at the updates as well as production notes.

I hope this helps!

Damned password, forgot it, couldn't reset it, and now I made a 2nd account to reply. Amazing...

Whatever. Thanks for replying . Yeah, I do know about the 2011 game, but I'm not interested so much in it. I care more about the classic actually .

It's amazing though that it is actually on Steam, I didn't notice until now. Although there seems to be a problem. For some odd reason, if it truly comes with Multiplayer, the Feature List on the Store page says that it comes only with Single-Player and Partial Controller Support, but in the description yes, it does indeed say that it has for 4 players. Weird.

If you manage to try it out before me, please tell me how it is. Or someone else who owns it if not.
                    Last edited by BossNoob; 08-19-2015, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Does the game work with Windows 10 for anyone? Steam says the classic supports W8 but no mention of W10 compatibility.

I tried to dl the game from Remedy's site but it just crashes instantly. Compatibility-modes did not help. I have Acer W510 with Windows 10.
                      My Alan Wake Collection

Comment

• I'm a great fan of Death Rally since it was published in 1996. I'd like to see DR on linux and other platforms (I ported a few games to psvita recently) and my question is that is posible to free the original source code?

Comment

• Hey somo! Welcome to the forums!

As for your question, unfortunately the original source code hasn't been released due to legal issues. In 2009, Jari Komppa contacted Remedy with the proposal of releasing the source code to the original game and it was investigated but it was just too complicated to do in the end. Komppa did get permission to make a freeware version which was available on Joystiq until the site's closure, and then 3DRealms republished the original title on Steam.
                          The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

Working...
                          X