Here's how to get multiplayer working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Classic Here's how to get multiplayer working

Since the Windows version of Death Rally doesn't support multiplayer, here's how to make it work in the DOS version.

1. Make sure everyone has the same DOS version of Death Rally.
    It's a good idea to have it in a folder with a short DOS-compatible name, e.g. [FONT="Fixedsys"]C:\games\drally[/FONT].

2. Get the newest version of DOSBox here: http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1 .
    Install it somewhere on your computer. It's probably wise for everyone to have the same version of DOSBox as well.

3. Start DOSBox. Type:
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]config -writeconf dosbox.conf[/FONT]
    ...and close DOSBox.

4. Open the folder where you installed DOSBox, and open the file dosbox.conf in notepad or some other text editor.
    Find the line that says [FONT="Fixedsys"]cycles=3000[/FONT] (or cycles=something), and replace it with [FONT="Fixedsys"]cycles=max[/FONT]
    [SIZE="1"](If you get performance problems, try cycles=70000 or some other number. The larger the number, the faster computer DOSBox emulates.)[/SIZE]

Next, find the line that says [FONT="Fixedsys"]ipx=false[/FONT]. Replace it with [FONT="Fixedsys"]ipx=true

[/FONT]Then, in the last section, after [autoexec], type the following two lines:
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]mount x C:\pelit\drally[/FONT] [SIZE="1"](or wherever you have Death Rally installed)[/SIZE]
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]X:\[/FONT]

Finally, below those two lines, the game host should type:
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]ipxnet startserver[/FONT]
    and other players should type
    [FONT="Fixedsys"]ipxnet connect 111.111.111.111 [/FONT]
    (replace number with the host's IP address. The host can get his ip address by typing ipconfig in the command line or for example by visiting http://www.ip-adress.com/ )

5. Save the file, close notepad, and start DOSBox. It should automatically go to the folder where you put Death Rally in.

6. Type [FONT="Fixedsys"]setup[/FONT]
    In the setup, choose Sound Blaster MONO/PRO/16/AWE32, address 0x220, IRQ 7 and DMA channel 1. Save and exit setup.

7. You're all set! Start the game by typing [FONT="Fixedsys"]rally[/FONT], and have fun.

Other players besides the host can see if the connection works when they start up DOSBox. If you can't connect, make sure your Firewall isn't blocking the program. Also, try having another player as the host. (With a NAT connection you probably can't host, but can join a game.)

As long as everyone has the same version of the game, and DOSBox connects, it should work.

Next time you don't have to do it this way, just start up DOSBox and type [FONT="Fixedsys"]rally[/FONT] and off you go.
    Last edited by Juhgu; 10-22-2009, 06:39 PM. Reason: Removed link to DOS version of DR as it's not legal to share that version.

Re: Here's how to get multiplayer working

Hi, thanks a lot!

Can you maybe explain the step by step to play Death Really multiplayer via internet using Hamachi ?

That would be really great.

Thanks!
    Playing Death Rally from Chile since 1996.

Comment

Nice, I will try it out later this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by NANO View Post
        Hi, thanks a lot!

Can you maybe explain the step by step to play Death Really multiplayer via internet using Hamachi ?

That would be really great.

Thanks!
        Unfortunately, the Windows version has multiplayer disabled, so the only way to get multiplayer working is using the DOS version. And the easiest way to do that is to use DOSBox, I think.

Comment

I'm going to make a multiplayer-coufigured DeathRally+DOSbox build with launch shortcuts for easy launch.

I want to test connection and gameplay, so let's play!)
          Join my Hamachi network:
          Name: DeathRallyRR
          Pass: dr
          (RR means re-release )

You can download Hamachi here: http://www.hamachi.cc
          Write down the time when you can play.

UPD!: I found that distribution of DOS full version of the game is illegal, so I'll make only a DOSbox build and shortcuts.
          Last edited by scv0; 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM.
          http://monodrive.ru

Comment

Edit: doublepost
            Last edited by Juhgu; 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I guess I wasn't very clear about this earlier, sorry Nano and others. To clarify: The Windows version of Death Rally has multiplayer disabled. The only way to play multiplayer is using the old DOS version through DOSBox. You don't need Hamachi for that, you just need DOSBox.

However, if you want to find other Death Rally players besides you and your friends to play with, you can install Hamachi and join scv0:s Death Rally network. Sounds like a nice idea to me!
              Last edited by Juhgu; 11-12-2009, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scv0 View Post
                I'm going to make a multiplayer-coufigured DeathRally+DOSbox build with launch shortcuts for easy launch.

I want to test connection and gameplay, so let's play!)
                Join my Hamachi network:
                Name: DeathRallyRR
                Pass: dr
                (RR means re-release )

You can download Hamachi here: http://www.hamachi.cc
                Write down the time when you can play.

UPD!: I found that distribution of DOS full version of the game is illegal, so I'll make only a DOSbox build and shortcuts.
                Join this network! We are ready for a match right now!
                Link for downloading DoomFrost's DR mod: http://slil.ru/28233680/4065b870.4b335888/DR.SG3

Death Rally Online Group: http://cid-0009df616233b826.groups.live.com

Comment

Hello. I would like to play DeathRally too, but Hamachi's network is complete. So I can't join
                  I hope this problem can be solved. Sorry for my bad English

Comment

Hi,

I'm looking for Death Rally players for online multiplayer, but after several hours of searching I couldn't find any one.

There is a MSN group "Death Rally Online" but you must wait validation from group administrators to enter the group.

I found some hamachi groups (gvsunde, DeathRallyRR, droool, topontherocks...) but most of them are full (limited to 16 people in free version), and when you can join them (lots of patience required), after a lot of tries I could not find any available IPX server. And when tring to chat on hamachi networks, nobody ever answers.

That's why I propose that Death Rally online players meet on a public IRC chat room. Let's say server irc.freenode.net, channel #deathrally. No registration required, unlimited number of people ; just download an IRC client (e.g. ChatZilla if you have Firefox), type /server irc.freenode.net, then /join #deathrally.

Hoping to find someone there !

Comment

Hi Frosty,

I'd also like to brush off the dust from my DR skills online
                      I followed your directions and installed Chatzilla (IRC! That's been ages ago) and will check #deathrally from time to time.

Hope to race you soon.
                      Firmin

Comment

I will check #deathrally from time to time too, but I have a question:
                        I only have the shareware version, is possible to play against someone that have the full
                        version? And have you the full or the shareware version?

Comment

hi all

I have tried what people have said and I still cant get it working. can anyone upload the files I need to get death rally working over LAN.

I have death rally windows version 1.0

windows xp

C:\Death Rally

hope someone can help

I have just found this DOSShell

DOSShell

Might make things easyer
                          Last edited by zacburgess; 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM.

Comment

zacburgess, read the first line of this topic: "Since the Windows version of Death Rally doesn't support multiplayer, here's how to make it work in the DOS version."

you need the dos version for get multiplayer, you can obtain the demo version here: http://www.3drealms.com/downloads.html or buy the full version, it is very very cheap today (I don't buy it yet because I don't live in USA, or have a credit card).

But I don't read the topic well too, I ask if is possible to make a network game with a demo and a full version and in the tutorial are said that all players must have the same version. Sorry for that guys.

And about the irc channel I only have found one person in there(and I entered almost every day), and because we don't have the same version we couldn’t play. :-(

Comment

Hey for me, its not working.

I did all necessary things; checked firewalls, and all that stuff at the top.
                              After mounting it says that "ipx connection failed" or something like that.

otherwise DR is working but that connection thing fails, so whats wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X