How you started playing Death Rally?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How you started playing Death Rally?

I started playing DR in 1999, I found a shareware version on CD with Shadow Warrior (also a great game!)
    Once I had a trouble with my Windows OS and no chance to fix it quick, so I unpacked DOS from a floppy and changed autoexec in such a way, so after DOS start I only had to type "R" and hit enter and game was running! I also had a GTA1 and nothing more. Just R+ENTER or go to Volkov Commander and launch GTA! I completed shareware game in such a way...
    But when I re-installed my Windows I forgot about Death Rally and downloaded the full version only 1 or 2 years ago and completed it.
    Now when I realize that 10 years passed I think about our life's very short...
    http://monodrive.ru

Re: How you started playing Death Rally?

Originally posted by scv0 View Post
    I started playing DR in 1999, I found a shareware version on CD with Shadow Warrior (also a great game!)
    Once I had a trouble with my Windows OS and no chance to fix it quick, so I unpacked DOS from a floppy and changed autoexec in such a way, so after DOS start I only had to type "R" and hit enter and game was running! I also had a GTA1 and nothing more. Just R+ENTER or go to Volkov Commander and launch GTA! I completed shareware game in such a way...
    But when I re-installed my Windows I forgot about Death Rally and downloaded the full version only 1 or 2 years ago and completed it.
    Now when I realize that 10 years passed I think about our life's very short...
    Lol same here, I got the shareware version from a CD along with Shadow Warrior and Blood! But it was the year 1998! I remember I really didn't know how to control the car! Then after I learnt how to do that, I started to play in "I got petrol in my veins" difficulty and I have never left it since (or almost, 'cause I have played Doomfrost's mod!)!
    Link for downloading DoomFrost's DR mod: http://slil.ru/28233680/4065b870.4b335888/DR.SG3

Death Rally Online Group: http://cid-0009df616233b826.groups.live.com

Comment

Did the shareware version come with the Duke Nukem 3D CD or the Plutonium Pack CD? I'm sure I got it off of one of those.

Comment

I've got the demo from a magazine, I think. And what a great game it was! (and is)

Me and my elder brother played it a lot, for years.

Comment

I think i downloaded the shareware from huppypuppy or whatever that site was called.. Waited SOO long for this shareware on i think 3-5Mb to download on my 14000KBPS modem. I got so hooked!

Comment

I've started playing Death Rally in summer of 1997. I got the game, borrowed the album Anarchy by Chumbawamba and wasted a significant part of my holidays on playing and listening

Comment

I was given my first Windows PC in November 1997. A week or two after I received my computer, I visited a computer store a few blocks from my apartment. The store had a large red box of a game called "Death Rally" on one of its shelves. I purchased the game and have been playing it ever since.

Death Rally is one of the best automotive combat electronic games of all time along with Autoduel, DeathTrack and Interstate '76.

Thank you for making this game accessible once again. The graphics were created in 1996 but the gameplay is timeless. Long live Death Rally!

Comment

We used to play Death Rally in school daily back then. Blood, Shadow Warrior, One Must Fall: 2097, Commander Keen, Crusader: No Remorse, Full Throttle, Tapan Kaikki (Always so very popular multi player massacre)... Oh man, those titles brings some serious memories.

Comment

I found the shareware version on a pc games magazine cd (it was 1996 or 97) and played it very often. As the final game has come out I ordered it at once (had to pay 105,00 DM but I wanted that game and it was only avaiable through import dealer) and played the full version for six ours the day it came!! And it was my most played game in year 1997!

Comment

I can't really remember how I got the game but I think I picked it up as a special offer at some store at random. Didn't really know that much about gaming back then and just thought it looked cool - I did love the original GTA so maybe the similar layout turned me on.

I never played the shareware version - but needless to say I fell in love with it immidiately!

Comment

My first contact with Death Rally was on one of those shareware/BBS stuff compilation CD's that were common back in the 90's, where they had just downloaded a lot of stuff from BBS's and FTP's and crammed them on to a CD, selling them to all the people who didn't have online access, or even knew what the Internet was.
                      I got the demo on one of those "Games and utilities for Windows 95 and MS-DOS" CD's I bought for 10 SEK (~1$) somewhere, and played it a lot for a couple of years. Never managed to find a legal full copy anywhere though, I did look around a lot in the numerous game stores we had back then, but never found it. I did get a pirated copy from someone later, it didn't have the video sequences and the sound wasn't working properly (you could barely listen to Purple Motion's awesome music), so I ended up not playing it much after that.

A couple of years ago I started remembering it again, installed the shareware/demo version off that compilation CD again, and found the s3m mod music files somewhere, which I listened to a lot, started looking around for any open source clones or something of the game (strangely enough, never found any), and then finally heard the great news that a Windows compatible version had been released for free.

So, I got to enjoy the game again, and for the first time I got to watch the intro video. Too bad the multiplayer doesn't work, but I never played it in multiplayer back in the day either, but still, it would have been interesting to try out after all these years.

Comment

My first contact with Death Rally was a demo-cd of CDV in 1996 and hell ya, I love this game I was 10 / 11 dunno the month <.< and my english was extrem bad coz I was born in germany *g*
                        I live to ride

Comment

How you started playing Death Rally?

As many of you guys did, I started Death Rally by mistake. I guess It was near ī98 I had this brand new game Quake 2, and I donīt remember how I started to fool around within the cd folders and to my surprise I found a very curious folder named cookies, wherein the amaizing Death Rally was in. Ohh you know how It was, you know, the Shareware version that was good enough to make you dream how Itīd be to play with the deliverator, and dream about a network game. Love at first sight. Ever since I played It the very first time I couldnīt stop. Itīs over 12 years now that I live to ride, and as always every single time I play It, from the first time on, I got petrol in my veins. Hail to the king, baby!!!
                          Last edited by Damy...; 07-08-2010, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Started playing the game with a few classmates in college in 1998, so much Death Rally, so little time spend in class :-)

Comment

It was 1996 or ī97, anyway... My cousin had the game, I tried it and thought itīs great. Iīm finnish like Death Rally, but didnīt understand a word...ironic? Also things like driving over mushroom, a reaper payinī for "more car corpses" etc. was like "wtf?" to me. (Well, I was abouth 8 year old)

Now I understand all that stuff and get everything out of this great game.
                              Best games never get too old to play and Death Rally is a good example, so
                              Thanks to Remedy!!!
                              Last edited by Killer88; 11-13-2010, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X