This is a rant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iOS This is a rant

On December 16th at 3:00pm, I was the happiest big kid on the planet. At 3:10pm, I began to sour.

I've been a massive fan of Death Rally since it first came out for DOS. It was a great game with lots of character. Some may even say it was the precursor to Twisted Metal for PlayStation and many other combat racing games.

So, when the new version came out for iOS, I jumped on board.

Being a software developer myself, I pay for applications and games that I find useful and entertaining. There is a tremendous amount of effort that goes into making these games run with stability while also so bring pretty to the eyes and entertaining.

I shelled out my $4.99 knowing I would thoroughly enjoy the single player campaign and anxiously awaited the promised multiplayer functionality.

Then, the price was dropped to 99¢.

A brand new game, discounted to one-fifth of what I paid for it. Not impressed. But, I am sure publishers have their reasons for doing this.

However, I would call this Remedy's Marlboro Friday.

Multiplayer in its entirety has been released as part of version 2.0 and now it all makes sense. This is what I have come up with...

- Develop game playing on the nostalgia of mid-20s to early-30s males.
    - Post said game on the App Store with a premium price tag ($4.99 isn't much, but it is to iOS device owners).
    - Don't sell as many 'copies' as hoped and deeply discount the product in order to flood the marketplace.
    - Still promise multiplayer in the future just as you did before, with no mention of In-App Purchases.
    - Release multiplayer, locking almost half of the upgradable items.
    - Make up your lost revenue on the price drop through the In-App Purchases in multiplayer and laugh all the way to the proverbial bank.

So, those late on the bandwagon end up paying less in the long run than us early adopters that had faith in the product. You have just ripped off the people who have supported Remedy for years.

I am not going to say this is a despicable practice.
    I am not going to say this is worse than a Zynga Facebook game bilking of someone's wallet.
    I am not going to say this is dishonest, disrespectful, or disheartening.

But, I will say I will never buy another Remedy product ever again. Or Mountain Sheep product. Or Cornfox & Brothers product.

Having to pay to complete a game that you have already paid for once is the gamer equivalent of double dipping.

Remedy Management -- I truly hope you are happy with this letter and all the comments you have been receiving on the iTunes App Store. You brought this on yourselves.

Re: This is a rant

Totally agree with [MENTION=21920]acidic[/MENTION]. It's not the in-app purchases that are ruining this game, it's your back-stabbing approach to the customers who payed $4.99 for this game and not allowing us to collect all the upgrades/vehicles for free. You don't have to be afraid not to gain profit with in-app purchases, there will always be a portion of buyers who would pay for getting in front of line.

Remedy fail.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you feel this way guys. I've forwarded your feedback on and I thank you both for taking the time to voice your concerns.

Comment

Acidic put it more eloquently than I would have. I have also been playing Death Rally since the DOS version. $4.99 for the iOS version was fine with me. Having to pay for every damn upgrade in multiplayer is not.

IAP is fine. The most successful games with IAP offer it as a faster way to move forward in the game along with a few bonuses you can't get through standard gameplay. They don't force you to buy everything. That's a huge turnoff. Expecting me to pay for every car, weapon, and bonus is crazy.

Comment

Hey guys. We've been putting a lot of effort into bringing *so much* more content for you all, and will continue to do so in the future.

We feel that we've certainly provided a lot of value with the game, especially when we get great write ups like this. We will do our best in the future to keep that up.

Comment

Sorry, but this is total bullshit! I have been following this thread and now I just had to register in order to speak my mind, as I already did on toucharcade:

"Fair would have been to charge a fixed price for the whole multiplayer functionality. After all, it is a new feature to the game. However, charging us for each new car and weapon is just greedy!

As other people are complaining on your facebook page, your IAP-prices are way off the chart.

Additionally, we now have to purchase the same cars that we already own in the single player campaign. No new assets? The content you are selling now was already made and you did already make a profit on this after only three days after the game was released. The only new thing really is just the multiplayer match-functionality!

For that, I would have gladly paid an additional fee. But not like this..."

As far as the write up that you mention is concerned. This just reads like your own iTunes text, as far as the features are concerned. It doesn't even mention IAP anywhere in the text! How is that possible?

Like most of us, everyone just assumed that you are able to unlock all the "additional" content by grinding for parts, not through forced IAP! You yourself never mention the truth anywhere in your iTunes texts for this game. Not mentioning this fact is purposfully misleading your new customers who are thinking about purchasing this game for the "new" multiplayer content.

Now, I ask you, how balanced does this write up seem to you? ... and while touching the subject, how balanced has your multiplayer campaign become, when you are just able to buy the crown!

Kinda takes the fun out of playing, if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by matija View Post
              You don't have to be afraid not to gain profit with in-app purchases, there will always be a portion of buyers who would pay for getting in front of line.

Remedy fail.
              There are always casual gamers out there with extra cash that want to level up as quickly as possible, even if there is a cost. Look at WoW and the gold miners there. This In-App Purchase scheme is a joke though. If you are going to do IAP, make it so that one group doesn't advantage over the other.

Originally posted by ADM View Post
              Sorry to hear that you feel this way guys. I've forwarded your feedback on and I thank you both for taking the time to voice your concerns.
              I hope something comes of this...though I have sent an email to the Remedy Feedback address already, have not received a reply, and don't expect to.

Originally posted by Meratus View Post
              Having to pay for every damn upgrade in multiplayer is not.

IAP is fine. The most successful games with IAP offer it as a faster way to move forward in the game along with a few bonuses you can't get through standard gameplay. They don't force you to buy everything. That's a huge turnoff. Expecting me to pay for every car, weapon, and bonus is crazy.
              I have levelled up to a point where I can't go any further without IAP and now I have lost my desire to play. This doesn't just hurt me. It hurts all the other people out there that want to play multiplayer and there aren't as many people to play against.

Originally posted by ADM View Post
              Hey guys. We've been putting a lot of effort into bringing *so much* more content for you all, and will continue to do so in the future.

We feel that we've certainly provided a lot of value with the game, especially when we get great write ups like this. We will do our best in the future to keep that up.
              To say that article is anything other than an "on the surface fluff" piece would be disingenuous. For every one of these articles, there are 10+ comments on the iTunes App Store, the forums, and other ranting, paying customers complaining about how this was structured. I can see the bottom of the ladder developers shaking their heads as they were coding this into the game. It sucks when sales and marketing types go overboard with greed.

Originally posted by Terpentine Cat View Post
              Kinda takes the fun out of playing, if you ask me.
              Sure does. Like I said above, I haven't played since levelling up as much as I could without IAP. What's the point in playing if you have to pay to progress? I want my skills to speak for themselves.

Comment

Working...
              X