X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheRuler
    started a topic IPX multiplayer

IPX multiplayer

Is there a particular reason whereby multiplayer section has been disabled, rather than the one posted o the FAQ?
    I mean, if the problem is rewrite the network engine to convert it into IP technology, leave it enabled as is and allow us to use it in our local areas or over the net: we will use IPX/SPX.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only a protocol to install under windows (network neighborhood/internet protocols)?

• Ninjastyle
    replied
    Re: IPX multiplayer

A shame about the multiplayer, but perhaps in a future release? The game really shines when wasting friends left and right :-)

Leave a comment:

• Sol_HSA
    replied

Originally posted by randomperson View Post
    rrrrrrrright, like i'm going to buy a game which was released freeware
    The DOS version obviously wasn't =)

Leave a comment:

• randomperson
    replied

Originally posted by Sol_HSA View Post
    You don't have to - you can buy a copy from 3drealms: http://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-s...rue&quickbuy=1
    rrrrrrrright, like i'm going to buy a game which was released freeware

Leave a comment:

• Sol_HSA
    replied
    yeah, what was the point of disabling ipx multiplayer, i don't think it'd take any additional coding
    Unfortunately, it does.

now i have to pirate death rally and do it via dosbox
    You don't have to - you can buy a copy from 3drealms: http://www.regnow.com/softsell/nph-s...rue&quickbuy=1

Leave a comment:

• randomperson
    replied

yeah, what was the point of disabling ipx multiplayer, i don't think it'd take any additional coding

me and my buddies still play old goodies like atomico bomberman via ipx on our new systems..

now i have to pirate death rally and do it via dosbox

Leave a comment:

• Raffaello
    replied

+1 to multiplayer in re-release from me too! Dos multiplayer lags like hell if there are more than 2 players!

Leave a comment:

• PROTON
    replied

My +1 to multiplayer in re-release.

Leave a comment:

• scv0
    replied

My +1 to multiplayer in re-release.

Leave a comment:

• classpc
    replied

If they think it's too much work to rewrite the network engine themselves, maybe they can release the code under a certain license so that fans could have a go a rewriting it.

However from the post above I guess Remedy is still considering which way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Morry
    replied

Remedy wanted compatibility for all "modern" systems - WinXP, Vista, Windows 7 and x64. For a free release, that was all the time they could spare. Including multiplayer in the mix would have needed substantial rewrites of the code for each version.
    However, Remedy is keeping a close eye on the number of downloads and general interest in this re-release...

Leave a comment:

• TheRuler
    replied

Originally posted by SwissCM View Post
    It wouldn't have worked,
    Which is the reason?

besides IPX isn't supported at all on x64 platforms.
    That is not the point, do it for the others. How many x64 systems are supposed to be out there? Surely less then the lower architecture ones.

Leave a comment:

• SwissCM
    replied

It wouldn't have worked, besides IPX isn't supported at all on x64 platforms.

Leave a comment:

• Juhgu
    replied

Originally posted by TheRuler View Post
    Is there a particular reason whereby multiplayer section has been disabled, rather than the one posted o the FAQ?
    I mean, if the problem is rewrite the network engine to convert it into IP technology, leave it enabled as is and allow us to use it in our local areas or over the net: we will use IPX/SPX.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it only a protocol to install under windows (network neighborhood/internet protocols)?
    Yeah, IPX is easy to install and works over the Internet using for example Hamachi. I was kind of wondering the same thing, but maybe the code would've taken some amount of work nevertheless, to get it from DOS to Windows. I don't know, I'm not much of a coder.

Anyway, you can play multiplayer DR using the DOS version and DOSBox: http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=2626

Leave a comment:

Working...
X