Max Payne was better than Max Payne 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Payne was better than Max Payne 2

Wasn't it? 5 years to make the first game, a gritty climb around a seedy New York with the nightmares of the death of your wife and child and the hallucinations from these as bad as anyone on the Valhalla drugs.

2 years or less to make the second game, a generally less gritty game. No problem with the love story angle but the overall style of the game is less gritty or intense. The fun house was great but it's about the only level that really stands out in my mind to me in comparison to the original game (which has the great restaurant scene as its kind of equivalent, remember).
    It retreaded just a little too much similar and there was a hollowness amongst the Havoc engine in comparison to the first game.

I think that Remedy's career path since then has been not to release a full sequel in such a quick space of time. Not that MP2 didn't get decent reviews - but it's as if they didn't quite have the time to layer on the psychological element quite as richly enough.
    Last edited by Picnic; 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM.

Re: Max Payne was better than Max Payne 2

I agree.

Comment

Picnic, dearest of all my friends, allow me to disagree with your opinion.

Personally, I believe Max Payne 2 is the superior game, heck, it's my favourite game. It took everything great about the original and bumped it up a notch thanks to a bigger budget.

The gameplay felt more fluid, the graphics were greatly improved, a larger range of guns and the ability to play as another character. Even MacCafferys voice acting sounded clearer.

When playing Max Payne 1 after MP2, I find a certain something lacking. Now I understand that it had a very limited budget and the finished result is outstanding, yet I thought that some things were off (Sam Lakes face, without being disrespectful, looked peculiar and some of the enemy dialogue is a bit strange too). I found that with Max Payne 2, all the problems were solved.

Story wise, Sam did an amazing job, as everyone here agrees. The love story is perfectly orchestrated and stays charming without being cheesy. While the story in MP1 was about revenge, MP2s story felt deeper, delving into Max's depressed state and having something to love for.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that you prefer Max Payne over its sequel, but some other people don't.

Also, Timothy Gibbs remains the best Payne face (booing intensifies)

Comment

For me first Max Payne is a hero and friend from childhood. Sweet memories.
        the shadows rushed me, bruised mug-shot faces hungry for revenge. They knew my weak spots and closed in for the kill. Just a dream.

Comment

I really enjoyed both games but for different reasons. I think that each had something that was stronger than the other. The original Max Payne will always hold a special place in my heart because not only was it Remedy's first huge AAA game...but it's also AMAZINGLY geeky. You can tell that the guys working on it approached certain gameplay choices with a "this would be cool if this happened" thought process; there are so many easter eggs and things you can interact with. It's certainly a game which is rich in backstories with each element of the game having an interesting reason for being the way it is.

The sequel's strengths was certainly expanding on a number of elements that I adored in the original game. I LOVED the television series and how you could step inside the Address Unknown world, and it was great how each show mirrored the game's storyline. I was excited about Mona's character being explored in more depth, Late Goodbye, the return of Vlad and that ominous hospital level.

Picking a favourite is difficult. I love Max Payne 2 as it takes everything I love from the original but just makes bigger and a more vital part of the story. (Also Vlad. Seriously Vlad.) Yet, I still remain enthralled by the development process for the first game and that certainly adds more to my playthrough of it.
          The Sudden Stop - Remedy Fansite

Comment

I love both entries equally, but I absolutely hate Max Payne 3 with a passion and don't even consider it part of the franchise. I don't think Max Payne 3 has a single atom of respect for the previous games, it's almost like Dan Houser had never played them and had no intention of crafting the story based upon the events that transpired before (if you're going to call a game 'Max Payne 3', logic dictates that it should have some story strands continued from either 'Max Payne' or 'Max Payne 2'. Max Payne 3 abandons the series roots entirely and swaps it for Dan Houser’s usual predilection for nightclubs, booze, blow, bitches and burnouts, all ponderously written without nuance, energy, or affection. I do not consider Max Payne 3 to be canon as Max Payne has been written as an amalgamation of a dozen "I'm to old for this kind of shit" action heroes akin to the characters Bruce Willis portrays. Look here for my full opinion of it: http://community.remedygames.com/showthread.php?t=10027

Comment

The original Max Payne will always be #1

Comment

I don't agree.İn max payne 2 graphics,gameplay and bullet time better than max payne 1.Max payne 1's graphics too bad and old.Just max payne 2 shorter than max payne 1.

Comment

I am looking forward to the game max payne 1 it can be remade...
                  games

Comment

The story in Max Payne is great which makes me interest to play further, but lack in Max Payne 2
                    I am an art teacher in a school. I love to teach how to draw paintings to my students.

Comment

i agreey first was the best!

Comment

Working...
                      X