No announcement yet.

how many copies did Max Payne 2 sell ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many copies did Max Payne 2 sell ?

Hello my dear Max Payne- and A.Wake-loving friends,

I was very surprised when I googled a little bit about "Max Payne 2" and found out that it was considered a disappointment in terms of sales by some German websites although it got good reviews from game magazines. I started looking for official sales numbers on Wikipedia and other sites, but couldn't find any.

Could anyone give me a link to the official sales of Max Payne 2 (including PC, Xbox and Ps2 version) so I can edit the Wikipedia entry ?

thank you very much.

have a nice day

nuhr
    http://myspace.com/poetsofthefall

These guys wrote "Late Goodbye" so check them out.

Re: how many copies did Max Payne 2 sell ?

Not really sure if you can get information like that, unless Take 2 releases it. I remember there was an interview with Remedy where they briefly stated something along the lines of MP2 selling enough to make ends meet.
    You might have to hunt around for the interview, it was definately something in the past year I think.
    Remedy's currently known projects:
    Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

http://ir.take2games.com/annual.cfm

I checked T2's annual report for 2004, and couldn't find specific sell-through figures for individual units. It does give it as a % of their overall sales each year, but there isn't specific figure.

One thing that stood out was on page 31, which is also repeated on page 61:

In May 2003, we agreed to make payments of up to $6,000 in cash upon the achievement of
      certain sales targets for Max Payne 2. We do not expect that these sales targets will be achieved.
      So yes, my impression is that the game didn't sell as well as everyone expected, despite getting rave reviews. But maybe it made up for that in the following years? Some people have speculated that the short game length, 'love story' tagline, title (MP2:TFOM, instead of the intended: The Fall of Max Payne), and marketing were contributing factors, rather than the game itself. Then again, that's all speculation. The only thing for certain is that the game itself was fantastic, and really deserved to do better.

Incidentally, you might find the MP2 entry at Mobygames useful:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/window...l-of-max-payne

Comment

As far as I can remember, they never said how many copies they sold. They only said that they sold less copies than they had expected.
        Webmaster of Alan Wake Zone

Comment

I read somewhere Max Payne sold 5 million copies while Max Payne 2 achieved around 1 million copies. That's why it was considered a relative disappointment.

But I don't remember the source where I got this info bit.

Comment

http://www.yougamers.com/articles/18...be_king-page3/

According to this article, Scot Miller says Max Payne 1 and 2 combined sold around 7m copies (worldwide, across all major platforms). If I remember right, Max Payne sold about 4-5 million, so MP2 probably sold around 2-3 million -- which isn't too bad really... But it should have sold better. Just goes to show that quality doesn't necessarily equal sales.

Comment

First of all I bought pirate's version of Max Payne (becouse there's not license version of Max Payne 2 in 2004) After 1c translate it in 2006 I bought this game again.
              the shadows rushed me, bruised mug-shot faces hungry for revenge. They knew my weak spots and closed in for the kill. Just a dream.

Comment

Do you guys think Max Payne 3 will sell well?

Comment

I think it goes without saying that Max Payne 3 will blow the sales of Max Payne 2 out of the water, there's a lot of things that didn't really exist when MP2 came out in regards to promotion and word of mouth.

I mean sure it was published by Rockstar but they didn't have a good platform or network for their fan base like they do now. Things like their Social Club has attracted a lot of people to their site and with that they get the newswire, I am sure the media attention that they've been giving MP3 will have won over a lot of Rockstar fans, GTA fans etc. despite the constant whining you will see for GTA V every time they post a Max Payne 3 article lol but that mostly happens on Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeroSum View Post
                    I think it goes without saying that Max Payne 3 will blow the sales of Max Payne 2 out of the water, there's a lot of things that didn't really exist when MP2 came out in regards to promotion and word of mouth.

I mean sure it was published by Rockstar but they didn't have a good platform or network for their fan base like they do now. Things like their Social Club has attracted a lot of people to their site and with that they get the newswire, I am sure the media attention that they've been giving MP3 will have won over a lot of Rockstar fans, GTA fans etc. despite the constant whining you will see for GTA V every time they post a Max Payne 3 article lol but that mostly happens on Facebook.
                    I have a promotional book for Max Payne 2 The Fall Of Max Payne from Rockstar Games that goes into detail about the Marketing Campaign for MP2. Judging by that books statistics I am surprised MP2 was not a huge success. Rockstar spent hundreds of thousands of dollars promoting MP2...

I agree Max Payne 3 will probably sell well due to the ever growing popularity of Rockstar Games... Not because of Max Payne fans like myself...I have spoke with many Max Payne fans who still do not accept Rockstars Max.

Comment

Matias said in the Gamespot interview that both games together sold 7.5 million, and since we all know the masterpiece Max Payne sold 4-5 million, then like others said, the sequel sold 2-3 million.

I doubt that it was a financial loss, I'm sure it was profitable. Just not as profitable as they had expected.

Something in my mind tells me a lot of people didn't buy it because of the face change.

Comment

Originally posted by AhmadMetallic View Post
                        Matias said in the Gamespot interview that both games together sold 7.5 million, and since we all know the masterpiece Max Payne sold 4-5 million, then like others said, the sequel sold 2-3 million.

I doubt that it was a financial loss, I'm sure it was profitable. Just not as profitable as they had expected.

Something in my mind tells me a lot of people didn't buy it because of the face change.

Max Payne 2 The Fall Of Max Payne is just as much a masterpiece as the first one.... real pity it did not sell well....

So 7.5 million combined for MP 1 and 2

Will MP3 sell 7.5 million alone? What do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                        X