Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

!! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

!! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

Hello everyone.

I'm a big fan of the original Max Payne because of the mods, so in light of the movie coming out and the imminent release of “The Real World”, I decided to fire up the game in Vista 64bit. Needless to say, I was despondent when I found out that the sound was essentially nonexistent and that there was no official patch to fix it. But I googled around for a home brew fix and found this forum and the 3D Relms forum.

The sound fix that Darkje has created is excellent, it restores the “stock” game sounds and music quite nicely. However, it has the unfortunate flaw of not being able to play mods. Then I noticed Maddieman's post about fixing/repacking the game sounds, but I couldn't get it to work either. I kept getting the same annoying "Exception in startupInit: Directory data not found." message that tombenton had. Even when I got it to where it SHOULD work, I couldn't get both the “stock” sound AND the mods working at the same time. It was like tug of war or something. Then I started to analyze the problem.

Darkje's patch is a little sloppy in that it combines the files from all 6 *.ras files and then just leaves them there. When there is a /data directory there, the game thinks: “oh, there is a mod in that /data directory. It gets top priority.”. So no matter what mod you pick in the “Choose Customized Game” menu, it will load what is in the /data directory instead. That's the flaw, but it's also part of the solution.

With a little experimentation, I was able to improve on Darkje's fix and made a procedure that not only permanently fixes the game's “stock” sound, but allows you to easily load mpm / mod files as well. Mods can be loaded, played with working sound, and unloaded with relative ease.

I found out that 3 of the *.ras files only contain level information and thus do not need to be decompressed. So rather then dumping all 6 *.ras files into a single data folder, my patch extracts and converts only the x_data, x_english, and x_music *.ras files individually. Once each *.ras file is moved and decompressed in it's own separate directory, all sounds and music are converted. The patch then repacks all *.ras files one by one, which replace the originals. At this point the “stock” game runs perfectly, everything should be working just like with Darkje's script. But if you try loading a mod in the normal way,“Choose Customized Game”, nothing happens. Also like Darkje's script.

But unlike Darkje's script, my fix offers a workable solution for loading mod files. There is no /data folder now. Remember what I said earlier about the /data folder taking priority? Well, now that it's gone, *.mpm mod files can be extracted and converted in exactly the same way that Darkje's script converts *.ras files. There is one small drawback to this method. You can only load one mod at a time, literally. If you try to put more then one *.mpm / mod file in the MaxPayne folder, the script will combine all the decompressed files into the /data folder... and that's bad. However, you can easily switch mods by using a batch file that loads and unloads mpm / mod files. I have included the full patch and instructions below...

Download the Max_Payne_Vista_Toolkit.zip here:
    http://www.mypixelstory.com/maxpayne...ta_Toolkit.zip

Fixing the stock Sounds & Music: *Do This First!*

Install Max Payne to the c:\MaxPayne directory, no spaces. This step is very important, because the patch works out of c:\MaxPayne.

Unzip the “Max_Payne_Vista_Toolkit.zip” into the c:\MaxPayne directory. If for some reason you want to save the original ras files, backup x_data.ras, x_english.ras, and x_music.ras now. Those are the only files affected.

Run the sound_patch.bat file. You will see a lot of "Premature EOF" and "syntax" messages, just like Darkje's script, but everything is OK. When the patch is done, the batch file will ask you to remove 4 directories and then delete itself. Just answer (Y)es 4 times. You can stop at this step if you don't want to run any mods.

Loading mpm / mod files:

Copy or Move the mpm / mod file into the c:\MaxPayne directory. It is important that only one mpm / mod file is loaded at a time.

Run the sound_patch.bat file. You will see a lot of "Premature EOF" and "syntax" messages, just like before, but everything is OK. When finished, simply run the game and the mod will load automatically.

If you want to load a new mpm / mod file, simply run the sound_patch.bat file again to unload the old file. Move the old mpm / mod to a different directory and repeat from step 1. If you want to play "Original Mode", simply leave the mpm / mod file unloaded and the game will load normally.

If you did everything correctly, then Max Payne will have fully working sound and music, for both stock mode and game mods. I have tested this procedure several times on 64bit Vista and can say for sure that it works flawlessly. I have even tested several mods, including Katana and the Real World Demo, and they work flawlessly. The only mod I can't get to work is Kung Fu 3.0, it seems to hang before anything loads. However, most mods work just fine. Even the menu screen music in Katana plays perfect. If Vista has been the bane of your Max Payne existence, then you are going to love this fix.

Special thanks to Darkje and Maddieman for doing most of the ground work.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Crimson Behelit; 08-31-2008, 12:37 AM.

Re: !! Ultimate Max Payne Vista Sound Patch !!

Nice one, hopefully this will be the end of it. If you haven't done so already, you should probably post this at 3drealms.

Am I right in thinking that your patch unpacks a mod's mpm file, fixes the audio, then repacks it? If so, I'd be curious to find out how much bigger the mod becomes after the conversion (I'm thinking about releasing a 'Vista ready' version of TRW - but not if it's 500+MB).

Btw, one thing that troubles me about Darkje's fix is that it converts the sound effects to stereo format. That's fine for music and graphic novel dialogue; but in my experience, it can cause bugs with the 3d sound effects -- usually in the form of random ripping or popping sounds. Not only that, but the file size also become unnecessarily large. Seeing as your fix accounts for everything else, it might worth nipping this one in the bud, if it's possible.

Anyway, well done.

Comment

Thank you. It took me a little while to work everything out.

To answer your question, it just moves the original mod file, decompresses it, and then converts the decompressed data. It doesn't actually change the original mod file at all. With my fix, there would be no need to have a separate "Vista" version. "I am trying to post this on 3D Relms, but I'm waiting for my account to get approved. "

About the sound glitches. Personally, I have played through the game several times using the current procedure, and so far the sound has been flawless. Then again I'm just using a generic on-board sound card, no 3D sound. You are correct about the increased file size, my patch uses 326mb more then the original game. However, this is still MUCH less then what Darkje's patch uses, which is 594mb more then the original game. I will have to look into the 3D sound thing tho. If anyone experiences glitchy sound, let me know so I can make adjustments.
      Last edited by Crimson Behelit; 08-31-2008, 03:19 AM.

Comment

To answer your question, it just moves the original mod file, decompresses it, and then converts the decompressed data. It doesn't actually change the original mod file at all. With my fix, there would be no need to have a separate "Vista" version.
        Yeah, but if I understand this right, if you want to a play another mod, then you have to run the bat, unpack everything, and patch it again. Whereas if you simply repack the mpm file after the conversion (like you've done with the ras files) then that's it fixed for good -- once the user fixes all of their mpm files, Max Payne will presumably run like normal, mods and all.

Comment

Good work mate! Definetly will come handy .
          KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
            Yeah, but if I understand this right, if you want to a play another mod, then you have to run the bat, unpack everything, and patch it again. Whereas if you simply repack the mpm file after the conversion (like you've done with the ras files) then that's it fixed for good -- once the user fixes all of their mpm files, Max Payne will presumably run like normal, mods and all.
            Presumably, but unfortunately, thats not the way it is. After the game's ras files have been fixed, you can load a unconverted mod file like normal, but once again there is the sound problem. Then you can unpack everything and patch it, the sound works and it loads perfect. BUT.... If you repack the fixed mod and try to run it like normal, then the mod doesn't load and it goes directly to a "normal game" when you try to load it. Very annoying. As far as I can tell, this is the only working method to get both the normal game sounds AND the mods working at the same time. If anyone knows why the mods won't work after being repackaged or has a trick for making the converted mods work like normal, let me know so I can make a new patch.

"On a side note, even tho it doesn't work, the patched Katana.mpm is 498mb after conversion."

Comment

If you repack the fixed mod and try to run it like normal, then the mod doesn't load and it goes directly to a "normal game" when you try to load it. Very annoying. As far as I can tell, this is the only working method to get both the normal game sounds AND the mods working at the same time. If anyone knows why the mods won't work after being repackaged or has a trick for making the converted mods work like normal, let me know so I can make a new patch.
              That's strange. Wish I had Vista so I could investigate further (although at the same time, I'm very glad I don't ).

I did, however, try the following:

* Copied Katanav1.2.mpm to a new directory, ran mpm_loader.bat.
              * Repacked the converted mod with Rasmaker:
              Rasmaker.exe -a data KatanaVista.mpm
              (both rasmaker and the mod's 'data' folder are in the same directory)

* Copied KatanaVista.mpm to my Max Payne dir and ran it.

... and it ran perfectly, no errors whatsoever. Bear in mind this is on XP, but I can't see how Vista would stop mods running like that. An mpm file is essentially the same as ras file, just with a different extension; so in theory, if you managed to pack the ras files, then the mods should work too. Also, I didn't bother running the sound_patch.bat (my Max Payne dir is over 5gb already ). Perhaps there's a conflict there... (doubtful)

I'd send you the file if it wasn't over 500MB. Although, I could do the same with the TRW demo if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddieman View Post
                That's strange. Wish I had Vista so I could investigate further (although at the same time, I'm very glad I don't ).

I did, however, try the following:

* Copied Katanav1.2.mpm to a new directory, ran mpm_loader.bat.
                * Repacked the converted mod with Rasmaker:
                Rasmaker.exe -a data KatanaVista.mpm
                (both rasmaker and the mod's 'data' folder are in the same directory)

* Copied KatanaVista.mpm to my Max Payne dir and ran it.

... and it ran perfectly, no errors whatsoever. Bear in mind this is on XP, but I can't see how Vista would stop mods running like that. An mpm file is essentially the same as ras file, just with a different extension; so in theory, if you managed to pack the ras files, then the mods should work too. Also, I didn't bother running the sound_patch.bat (my Max Payne dir is over 5gb already ). Perhaps there's a conflict there... (doubtful)

I'd send you the file if it wasn't over 500MB. Although, I could do the same with the TRW demo if you want.

Arg, I feel you, I'm having the same frustration. I can't for the life of me figure out why it doesn't work. This is what I run into:

1. Normal mod loads, but no sound.
                2. decompressed and converted mod in /data, it loads with full sound.
                3. Recompress the fixed mod, it doesn't want to load. XD

So, I'm thinking is HAS to have something to do with my mpm_loader.bat file. But you said that it loaded the decompressed/fixed/re compressed version just fine in XP. Arg, how frustrating. I thought it might be a size thing, but TRWkungfu.mpm doesn't work either. I'm going to experiment further to see if I can get your method to work. Like you said, it's ideal to re compress the mod and load it normally, but Vista is being a royal bastard in this regard.

If worse comes to worse, I'll make a frontend loader that will allow you to pick a mod from a menu, then it does all the work for you. It would still be a separate program, but at least you wouldn't have to go through the trouble of moving the mods manually each time you want to play a new one.

Comment

So, I'm thinking is HAS to have something to do with my mpm_loader.bat file. But you said that it loaded the decompressed/fixed/re compressed version just fine in XP. Arg, how frustrating.

I take it you don't have XP as well? If you want I could send you the TRWkungfu.mpm file that I patched, to see if it works on yours. If so then it would suggest that there's a problem on your side compiling mods (which is fairly plasuible - some Rasmaker parameters cause mods to not function correctly). If it doesn't work then I'd guess problem is either Vista playing up or something to do with your Max Payne install.

EDIT: Btw, do you get any error messages when a mod tries (and fails) to load?

Comment

If you want to load a new mpm / mod file, simply run the sound_patch.bat file again to unload the old file. Move the old mpm / mod to a different directory and repeat from step 1. If you want to play "Original Mode", simply leave the mpm / mod file unloaded and the game will load normally.

If you did everything correctly, then Max Payne will have fully working sound and music, for both stock mode and game mods. I have tested this procedure several times on 64bit Vista and can say for sure that it works flawlessly. I have even tested several mods, including Katana and the Real World Demo, and they work flawlessly. The only mod I can't get to work is Kung Fu 3.0, it seems to hang before anything loads. However, most mods work just fine. Even the menu screen music in Katana plays perfect. If Vista has been the bane of your Max Payne existence, then you are going to love this fix.
                    Energy Recruitment

Comment

I haven't had any time to look at this all but the guesses we had at the office had us pondering whether the problem could be the lack of ADPCM codec in Vista x64.

Comment

Hi everyone!
                        Nice to see you are still playing the game

Crimson Behelit, good work on the fix! congrats... I always knew mine was quick&dirty, but at the time it did the job. I was quite bussy then so I never looked back, but now I did and found this thread.

Haven't tested it yet but you did some good finds there.

Ok, that it for now, I'm off installing max1 again ... thanks to everyone for keeping the game alive.

Comment

Updated in post No.18: http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=18
                          Last edited by sidetwo; 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM.

Comment

*reserved*
                            Last edited by Darkje; 04-17-2009, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I think it's good because it says it's initializing something.

Comment

Working...
                              X