Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP WITH PLOT HOLE MP3: fall guy? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP WITH PLOT HOLE MP3: fall guy? (SPOILERS)

Ok so basically I really enjoyed the game as it is a technical masterpiece, but I still dont really get to understand a central element of the story.
    In the game you are told that Max was hired on purpose by Victor Branco's request because he knew you were unstable and a hero wanna-be, and mainly Max was gonna end up being the "Fall Guy". This is what i dont understand:

A- Why did they specifically need Max, especially knowing that he had taken down various criminal organizations in his life time?

B- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: They wanted him to be the "Fall Guy" for what?
    From what i understood from other answers in some other forums and from the wiki Max was hired to be the "Fall Guy" for the illicit operations Victor was carrying. Victor hadn't really planned the kidnappings at all since he was also a target, so I don't think they hired him to be the fall guy for whatever happened after the kidnappings. That's why I don't really understand how he was gonna be the "Fall Guy" for the money washing and organ selling activities they were carrying out.

Did anyone get to understand these things at all? I have found many theories but none of them seems to be convincing enough or strong enough to hold. Right now it just feels like a major plot hole to me and I would like a good explanation for it. Thanks

Re: HELP WITH PLOT HOLE MP3: fall guy? (SPOILERS)

Originally posted by ezhcim View Post
    Ok so basically I really enjoyed the game as it is a technical masterpiece, but I still dont really get to understand a central element of the story
    I was thinking on this myself.

In the game you are told that Max was hired on purpose by Victor Branco's request because he knew you were unstable and a hero wanna-be, and mainly Max was gonna end up being the "Fall Guy". This is what i dont understand:
    Here's my theory.

A- Why did they specifically need Max, especially knowing that he had taken down various criminal organizations in his life time?
    They didn't need Max as the human killing machine. They needed Max the "Psycho Cop" in the papers. An infamous screw-up who going postal wouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

B- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: They wanted him to be the "Fall Guy" for what?
    I was thinking Max was meant to be the Fall Guy for Rodrigo dying. Basically, Max would fail at recovering Fabiana and kill his employer. Presumably he'd blow up their office too.

Victor is surprised when Max calls them on the phone and then things just get worse and worse.
    Visit my Blog: United Federation of Charles

Comment

So according to you Victor somehow also set-up the kidnappings even when he himself was a target of the commando sombra?

Comment

So according to you Victor somehow also set-up the kidnappings even when he himself was a target of the commando sombra?
        I don't think Victor is ever in any real danger. They state the Crachá Preto (CP) is a vigilante group that's the favorite of local right wing politicians and that describes Victor to a tee.

The initial kidnapping by the Commando Sombra (CS) targets Fabiana and Rodrigo, which also benefits Victor tremendously. If Rodrigo is killed by them, Victor benefits tremendously.

Really, it doesn't matter if the Commando Sombra were hired by Victor or if it was an attack of opportunity, Victor was planning on moving against his brother at some point since he recruited Max.

The problem is that Max interferes in the original attack and saves Fabiana. This necessitates a second attack by the CS. They get Fabiana and Victor then arranges for the money to be stolen by the CP. I'm not sure if Victor intended to kill his brother at that moment but stealing 3 million would definitely help his buddies and if Fabiana dies, Victor could use that in his Mayorial election.

Max messes it up by killing 30 or so CP soldiers.

So the CP then decides to do a vengeance killing on Max and Victor takes advantage of it to kill Rodrigo. Max screws that up by surviving and killing more of the CP. Max then decides to rescue Fabiana and ends up wiping out the CS along with most of the Favela's gangs. It's obvious the UFE Special Forces were called in to wipe out the Favela in response to Marcello and Giovanna going in, which Victor obviously planned.

Marcello is killed by the CP who is working with the UFE, the CP framing the gangs for it.

This leaves Victor as unquestioned heir to the Branco family fortune.

This allows Victor to look tough on crime, which is why the UFE likes him.

The CP comes back to go after Giovanna and Max as they escape the Favela and Max more or less hands them their butt....AGAIN. Meaning Max is really just eradicating the vigilante group one guy at a time.

However, by this point, max has been blamed in the media for the massacres at the office building and all of the actual carnage he's been inflicting on the bad guys in trying to get back Fabiana.

Comment

Yah it all sounds pretty neat and tidy when you know all the facts post-mortem but put yourself in Victors place at the moment of hiring Max not knowing what was gonna happen in the future. Im wondering what was his plan at that moment and how he thought at the moment of hiring Max that he was gonna be the fall guy, in what way? i just dont see it really, plus if the kidnappins werent planned by Victor at all then Max wasnt gonna be the "fall guy" in anything that happened because and after the kidnappings, Victor must have hired himt o be the "fall guy" for whatever illicit things they were doing before and in that case scenario i dont see how Max was , in Victors ideal plan, gonna turn out to be the fall guy for those illicit activities.

Comment

Yah it all sounds pretty neat and tidy when you know all the facts post-mortem but put yourself in Victors place at the moment of hiring Max not knowing what was gonna happen in the future. Im wondering what was his plan at that moment and how he thought at the moment of hiring Max that he was gonna be the fall guy, in what way? i just dont see it really, plus if the kidnappins werent planned by Victor at all then Max wasnt gonna be the "fall guy" in anything that happened because and after the kidnappings, Victor must have hired himt o be the "fall guy" for whatever illicit things they were doing before and in that case scenario i dont see how Max was , in Victors ideal plan, gonna turn out to be the fall guy for those illicit activities.
            Well, Marcello was smuggling cash from America to Sao Paolo and Max was left alone on the yacht so it's possible Victor planned something there too but that doesn't feel right.

The big thing is that, whatever Victor's original plan was, it's all shot to hell by the time Max finally catches wise to it so the plot is going to be even more needlessly convoluted than your typical video game plot.

My personal preferred interpretation of what happened? What makes the most sense to me? Is this:

1. Victor hires the Street Gang to kidnap Fabiana and Rodrigo with the intention of betraying them from the very beginning. Victor will blame Max for failing to protect Rodrigo and Fabiana and/or being in on it.

Max, being a Western Security Consultant, is made the scapegoat and the UFE/Vigilantes are lionized as local heroes.

2. When Max stops the first kidnapping, Victor has the guys do it again or they just do it again.

3. Victor sends the paramilitaries to steal the money so Fabiana is killed. Max kills a horde of them.

4. Max wages his one-man war on the Street Gang. Victor isn't involved.

5. The paramilitaries come to kill Max and Victor takes the opportunity to kill his brother and blame Max.

6. Max survives, much to Victor's horror. Victor gets the UFE to raid the Favella and pays the paramilitaries to kill his brother and Giovanna. This will cover up any of his involvement in the kidnapping.

7. Max rescues Giovanna which Victor sends the paramilitaries to finish off just in case Max/she has learned anything.

8. Max finds out Victor's organ legging operation and involvement in his brother's death - so he kills Victor.

Comment

ok that sounds pretty good of an explanation to me =) thanks. I guess it only makes sense to assume Victor and Becker kinda had a role in the kidnappings by tiping the Commando Sombra. In fact if i remember right at one part Max is told that Victor did it to scare Rodrigo and teach him a lesson

Comment

ok that sounds pretty good of an explanation to me =) thanks. I guess it only makes sense to assume Victor and Becker kinda had a role in the kidnappings by tiping the Commando Sombra. In fact if i remember right at one part Max is told that Victor did it to scare Rodrigo and teach him a lesson
                The big irony is that if Victor has just did all this without a scapegoat it would have worked out fine.

So yeah, that was bad thinking on his part.

Comment

well i dont think it would have worked that fine cos they actually needed someone like Max to stir things up creating an increasing wave of violence, he knew that as soon as his employers went missing Max was gonna start shooting people to find them back. At the same time he needed someone foreign that didnt really know much about the political scenario in Brazil and didnt know the language so that he wouldnt be able to find out the real truth behind the events. He just wanted a guy shooting the gangs without being able to see their connections or put the pieces together while at the same time making him, because of his alcohol and pills addiction, the perfect idiot for failing at protecting them. I guess?

Comment

well i dont think it would have worked that fine cos they actually needed someone like Max to stir things up creating an increasing wave of violence, he knew that as soon as his employers went missing Max was gonna start shooting people to find them back. At the same time he needed someone foreign that didnt really know much about the political scenario in Brazil and didnt know the language so that he wouldnt be able to find out the real truth behind the events. He just wanted a guy shooting the gangs without being able to see their connections or put the pieces together while at the same time making him, because of his alcohol and pills addiction, the perfect idiot for failing at protecting them. I guess?
                    Obviously, we saw that didn't work as Max singlehandedly depopulated all three armies.

Still, there's no reason they couldn't have found someone closer to home.

Comment

well in all latin america everyone speaks spanish for the most part and as a spanish speaking person i can tell you portuguese is really easy to understand for us. Plus as i told you the problem wasnt that he killed lots of people, they actually wanted that, they wanted him to spark more violence. What they didnt count on was on Da Silva putting the pieces together and pointing Max in the right direction

Comment

Great topic guys but i still have some questions. Why did Victor need CP when he had those 55. battalion UFE soldiers who could have done all the work. Next question is why did Victor want the ransom cash? Because of the money or because stealing the ransom would have caused Fabiana's death? And why did Marcelo and Giovanna went to favelas? And my last question - why did the UFE soldiers went there? Because of the poor people organs or because Max/Marcelo/Giovanna?
                        Last edited by XTad; 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by XTad View Post
                          Great topic guys but i still have some questions. Why did Victor need CP when he had those 55. battalion UFE soldiers who could have done all the work. Next question is why did Victor want the ransom cash? Because of the money or because stealing the ransom would have caused Fabiana's death? And why did Marcelo and Giovanna went to favelas? And my last question - why did the UFE soldiers went there? Because of the poor people organs or because Max/Marcelo/Giovanna?
                          1. The Cracha Preto seem to be pretty much in charge of the whole organ smuggling ring.

2. Victor needed the money to finance his entire operation. Rodrigo is said to be tight with his money, and his younger brothers don't have much of their own. I forget as to whom the ransom money was going to specifically, but it was funding the project, nonetheless.

3. Marcelo and Giovanna went to the favela to get Fabiana back themselves. At this point, they must've figured that going in and just giving the Comando Sombra the money (instead of Max potentially getting her killed from attempting to rescue her) would save her. But, it ended up playing in their favor, which is what I feel they killed Fabiana for. Now they had three members of the family, so one was expendable to show they meant business. This also worked in Victor's favor, in that Rodrigo was gone, and those three would likely be next and he would be the soul heir to the Branco fortune.

4. Becker is in league with Victor, and in turn the UFE is in his pocket. He employed them to do the favela raids to justify imprisonment of civilians. Rather than hauling them off to jail, they were handed off to the Cracha Preto and taken to their shady HQ to harvest their organs.

The UFE capture the "donors", the Cracha Preto oversees the organ harvesting and sells them on the black market, Dr. Fischer is the harvester and is paid for his services. The profits made are then laundered (which is what the whole trip to Panama was about) and it goes towards Victor's political campaign.

Hiring Max, while it ended up backfiring, almost worked even better than he originally anticipated: He wiped out the Comando Sombra, making Victor working with UFE seem like he really was cracking down on crime in Sao Paulo, and essentially eliminated the Cracha Preto, cutting any of the barely visible ties Victor may have had to the group.

Hopefully this makes sense.
                          Last edited by DevourTheLiving; 07-31-2012, 02:39 AM.
                          Figure I might as well die in the sunshine as die in the snow.

Comment

Working...
                          X