Max Payne 1 Widescreen Fix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Payne 1 Widescreen Fix

I found a widescreen fix for Max Payne the other day on the GTAForums created by ThirteenAG with the help of Silver's ASI loader for GTA:SA, but a lot of the loading screens and HUD elements were still stretched so I spent all of yesterday making a mod to fix that. Not the graphic novel pages, however. I don't know how many of you would appreciate downloading a ~100mb widescreen fix. I've packaged everything you need together for the first ever Max Payne 1 widescreen fix mod! (that I know of) Hooray!

Download

It will work on retail versions with the latest patch (1.05) and Steam versions, just copy all the files into your Max Payne directory.

As far as I know, there is only one fairly major bug that I think the creator of the widescreen fix would have to address in order to fix it. If you are far away from certain pieces of the map (hallways/doors especially), there will be a 'ghosting effect' that can be rather distracting. From the saves that I've loaded, it didn't seem to come up that often (although I didn't try the nightmare sequences, in theory those are the worst possible place for the bug to occur because it's all long and narrow hallways). Here's a picture of it. Let me know of other bugs.

For Max Payne 2, there are two current ways to do widescreen. ThirteenAG also did a fix for Max Payne 2, but it is very broken and not really worth using quite yet. There is a second method that has none of the flaws of his fix via Flawless Widescreen, but it doesn't work with retail versions and you can't use the -developer target line. It also has to be launched separately from the game, which nobody likes doing. I am working on a widescreen HUD mod for Max Payne 2, but I'm going to wait a few days to see if ThirteenAG can sort out the issues with his fix.

big picture 1
    big picture 2
    big picture 3
    big picture 4
    big picture 5
    big picture 6

Oh, and since I only have a 16:9 monitor, I'm not sure how the HUD elements mod will look on a 16:10 monitor. Let me know if I have to make a separate version.

ALSO: I wouldn't mind having a version without the black bars in the cutscenes, but I have no idea how I would disable that. If any modders here on the forums can give a hint, please let me know!
    Last edited by Dean; 04-17-2013, 07:02 PM.

Re: Max Payne 1 Widescreen Fix

wow, gotta try it out right away!!!
    edit: ... and it works, thx a lot
    Last edited by jester131; 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM.
    If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION

Comment

I downloaded the widescreen fix and when I tried to extract the file winrar said "archive is unknown or damaged" so could someone put up a working link?

Comment

Originally posted by bahhgarr View Post
        I downloaded the widescreen fix and when I tried to extract the file winrar said "archive is unknown or damaged" so could someone put up a working link?
        Both the link and the archive are perfect, I just re-downloaded it to be sure, it got damaged on your side, so there's nothing anyone can/should do about it except you, simply download it again.
        Last edited by The Silver; 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM.
        Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comment

edit
          Last edited by SpacemanGray; 01-19-2016, 06:58 AM.

Comment

To completely remove the "cinematic mode" black bars you can simply set the WideScreenMultiplier value to 0.0 in the globalconfig.txt file, but combined with the increased FOV you could get visual glitches during the cutscenes, for example in the first Condemned Building level you can see the edge of the map for the whole time the van drives in...
            Last edited by The Silver; 05-05-2013, 01:40 AM.

Comment

edit
              Last edited by SpacemanGray; 01-19-2016, 06:58 AM.

Comment

The ghosting effect is not so easy to fix, probably impossible, becouse the occlusion culling feature of the map editor (the function that loads parts of the map only when you see it) is hardcoded with the default fov, so with a hack that forces a bigger fov these occlusion triggers are still working on a 75° angle, this means that they turn parts of the map invisible when out of the 4:3 portion of your widescreen monitor, becouse they believe that you can't see them.
                It's completely unrelated with the amount of particles etc, these settings (along with the fov) are stored in a simple .txt file, but nothing modifies the fov setting of the occlusion triggers embedded into the maps, probably it's inside some .dll that would require a lot of reverse engineering to be modified...

About the MP1 bug, have you used the latest version of the fix? Redownload it and retry.

For the MP2 fix, there are two versions in the latest download, one .asi script works and the other doesn't, so try swapping them.
                Last edited by The Silver; 05-30-2013, 12:09 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having a version without the black bars in the cutscenes, but I have no idea how I would disable that. If any modders here on the forums can give a hint, please let me know!
                  Hi,

It turns out this is easy.

In ..\data\globalconfig.txt, search for the following:

[cinematic]
                  2DSoundMinimumPitchMultiplier = 1.0; //so that narrative isn't slowed down
                  3DSoundMinimumPitchMultiplier = 0.15;
                  MusicMinimumPitchMultiplier = 1;
                  //removed because this was not in use and it interferes with sniper's fov dependent sensitivity
                  //MouseSensitivityMultiplier = 1.0; // sensitivity is from this to 1.0 according to time multiplier
                  // normal screen height is 1.0, in widescreen mode screen height is simply multiplied
                  // by widescreenmultiplier... real life examples:
                  // Wide-screen (i.e. 16:9) TV multiplier = 0.75 with formula (4:3)/(16:9)
                  // PanaVision (most used movie screen) multiplier = 0.720721 (4:3)/(1.85:1)
                  // IMAX/CinemaScope (only coolest movies) multiplier = 0.567376 (4:3)/(2.35:1)
                  WideScreenMultiplier = 0.75; // wide-screen TV
                  All you need to do is change

WideScreenMultiplier = 0.75; // wide-screen TV

to

WideScreenMultiplier = 1.0; // wide-screen TV

For reference, the console command for turning the black widescreen bars on/off is:

maxpayne_gamemode->GM_EnableWideScreen( false, 0 );

And you can turn the HUD off with:

maxpayne_hudmode->GM_enablehud(false);

I can't remember off the top of my head if Max Payne 2 uses the same code, but I expect so.

Comment

Maddieman is right, and for MP2 it's the same, let me repost a fixed version of my previous guide:
                    Originally posted by The Silver View Post
                    To completely remove the "cinematic mode" black bars you can simply set the WideScreenMultiplier value to 1.0 in the globalconfig.txt file, but combined with the increased FOV you could get visual glitches during the cutscenes, for example in the first Condemned Building level you can see the edge of the map for the whole time the van drives in...

Comment

Sorry for the bump but I love seeing new revelations like these when I come to replay my favourite games.

Max Payne is going to look great in widescreen! I'm going to set it up with a gamepad too so I can play it from the sofa.

Thanks for the links!

Comment

Its not possible to fix FOV. I emailed the developers Remedy last year they confirmed it would not be a simple fix either. Best solution is play with pillowboxing @ 4:3 aspect ration otherwise FOV is messed up badly. MarkusRMD is one of the original developers on this game so he should know!!
                        robot vacuums compare

Comment

Wow, you are genius! It's really great to see max in glorious 16*9!
                          But i have some sort of a bug. Does anyone notice that?

And how to deal with it?
                          the shadows rushed me, bruised mug-shot faces hungry for revenge. They knew my weak spots and closed in for the kill. Just a dream.

Comment

And this
                            the shadows rushed me, bruised mug-shot faces hungry for revenge. They knew my weak spots and closed in for the kill. Just a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by ALoNE View Post
                              Wow, you are genius! It's really great to see max in glorious 16*9!
                              But i have some sort of a bug. Does anyone notice that?

And how to deal with it?
                              Are you playing with the .MPM mod as well? I thought I remember fixing that.

Comment

Working...
                              X