Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Payne 3 almost a year later

Hey Guys,

I know there are alot of "Max Payne 3 thoughts" threads, but I was curious if anyone's opinions have changed since the game's release almost a year ago. Do you still play it or enjoy it as much as you did at release? As time goes on do you think it won't hold up? After all was said and done considering the amount of playthroughs I did, I want to do more when I have time, and mutliplayer just from shear enjoyment it was my personal Game of the Year. Where does the game stand now with you guys?

Re: Max Payne 3 almost a year later

My thoughts on Max Payne 3 hasn't changed from ones I had before I played the game.
    MP3 is a great action game with interesting story and good gameplay.
    BUT: It's a terrible and awful Max Payne game. It's not following previous games and has no noire whatsoever (I won't even argue with people who says the opposite as my work forces me to be aware of such things like genres and style).
    If it would've called "Alex Mug" I'd be completely fine with the game, but as long as it named "Max Payne" it should stick to the roots.
    I don't understand people who says they're fans and they liked 3rd game.

Comment

I respect Max Payne 3 and I do think it's a Max Payne game. It's about as good as a Max Payne game can be without coming from Remedy. Before you say that they could have done better, think about this; it is Rockstar's game. The way I have always described it to people is that it's Rockstar's Max Payne. It's definitely Max Payne, but with Rockstar's fingerprints all over it. Rockstar has been in love with cinematic storytelling for the past decade, and they wanted to apply that to Max Payne; a series which they themselves respect. The developer making it obviously has a lot of control over their game, and you can see how much influence Remedy has on the game just by playing Alan Wake, which is practically riddled with the same sort of writing, style, and feel that the first two Max Payne games had.

The majority of people absolutely disagree with me, but I do feel that calling yourself a Payne fan and completely ignoring Max Payne 3 as part of the series is just plain idiotic. You don't have to acknowledge that it's better than the originals, but you should acknowledge that it's there, it's made by different people, and there's nothing you can do about it. Embrace it for what it is, as much as you can. Don't be ignorant, be reasonable. For me, I love the storytelling, noir writing and characters of the originals, but Max Payne 3 is arguably the most fun to play of the three.
      Last edited by Dean; 04-28-2013, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Its a great game.

Shame the sales were low
        Watch out. The gap in the door... It's a seperate reality... The only me is me... Are you sure the only you is you?

Comment

Well said Dean. I personally love all three games. I guess I'm just a weirdo then

Comment

Nope, same opinion - boring as hell thanks to all those copy/paste shooting scenes. I was optimistic enough to finish it, but a few of my friends threw it away after playing for 4-5 hours. Looks great, nicely done, but boring.
            If you are afraid of gaining weight - drink 2 glasses of vine before every meal. Alcohol kills fear...

Comment

Max Payne 3 is a great game, but it's not a great Max Payne game. Where the cutscenes in Max Panye 3 are annoying on the second or at least third playthrough because they're not always skipable, not that interesting and qute long I enjoyed the Noir graphic novels in Max Payne 1 and 2 a lot more. The comics captured the Noir atmosphere of the game perfectly.
              The metaphors were deep, catchy and quite dark sometimes, whereas the writing in Max Payne 3 rather seems to follow the formula of a straight forward action flick. I could feel the GTAish influence in the cutscenes sometimes which was a bit irritating, too.

Without comparing it with the other games in the series, the most annoying thing about Max Payne 3 are the distortion effects all throughout the game.

Another question I'd like to ask at this point: Who is still playing the multiplayer? I only play coop-mode sometimes, I completely lost interest in the PvP modes.
              If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION

Comment

A lot of people have lost interest in the multiplayer, there's not many people left playing. I play it occasionally, but most of the people left playing are insanely good, or foreigners.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
                  A lot of people have lost interest in the multiplayer, there's not many people left playing. I play it occasionally, but most of the people left playing are insanely good, or foreigners.
                  That's pretty much the problem with most games where the singleplayer is the primary part and the multiplayer only some halfhearted addition to keep the game alive for a longer time. Especially when you look at the coop-mode in Max Payne 3 it's been executed halfhearted at best (only 2 maps and it's a DLC).

The people who are still playing the muliplayer mostly play on a regular basis, have all the high-level weapons, perks and know the maps inside out.
                  Coop is much easier to have fun with than PvP after a game has been out for a year or more ... so long as you find any players at all.
                  If you like the actor JAMES McCAFFREY you NEED to watch my James McCaffrey COLLECTION

Comment

jester131, I play multiplayer from time to time. I haven't played a lot of online games, but MP3's multiplayer impressed me pretty much.

What about music in MP3? I must admit I can't stand electronic music (like dubstep, ambients, techno and etc.). I think it played it's own part in ruining the game.
                    Did anyone liked it?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnSmithUC View Post
                      What about music in MP3? I must admit I can't stand electronic music (like dubstep, ambients, techno and etc.). I think it played it's own part in ruining the game.
                      Did anyone liked it?
                      I didn't like the MP3 soundtrack that much and I don't get why that music playing at the airport shootout is so highly regarded.
                      I played MP3 with the soundtrack from Max Payne 1 and 2 for a while and it almost felt like "good old max" again

Comment

I don't want to repeat that was said before by me, and another user, whose opinion I support totally.
                        http://community.remedygames.com/sho...22&postcount=1
                        +
                        http://community.remedygames.com/sho...44&postcount=3
                        http://community.remedygames.com/sho...28&postcount=3

PS. After steam sale I bought Season Pass, but just to get all the achievements as I am a dedicated achievement hunter Now I am replaying different single modes to get the left achievements and there are 2 the most irritating things in game which I think made MP3 simply "1-time-to-play-the-next-one-in-a-year-or-two": really long unskipable cutscenes - it's awful.
                        Last edited by Pax Mayne; 05-10-2013, 11:43 AM.
                        ...the magician longs to see, one chance out between two worlds, Fire Walk With Me
                        Support Alan on Metacritic
                        raptr friends are needed

Comment

I think Max Payne 3 is a great game with good mechanics, graphics, storyline and setting. Even the PC port was alright, and that's saying a lot considering the game's by Rockstar. I've played through it multiple times, both on PS3 and PC, and I still enjoy it from time to time.

That said, as a Max Payne game it could've been way better. It wasn't exactly as grim as Max Payne 1 & 2, although it had its moments. The flashbacks to New York were easily the best parts of the game because they actually had that "Max Payne feel" plus amazing looks. Rockstar could've - and should've - just set the entire game in New York from the get go.

Max Payne 3 is an amazing action game, but a mediocre-at-best Max Payne game.

Comment

Well , I must say that i only finished Max Payne 2. I really like it . I'll try to finish and no 3, but i'm busy with my child.
                            My favorite games are games for boys .

Comment

I actually came to the Max Payne 3 party late and played it about the time this thread was started. I absolutely love it and felt it was one of the best games of 2012. I get that it's a departure from the first 2 games in some ways but it still had: Max as the main character (duh), James McCaffrey, Bullet Time, Pills, NJ, gun fights galore and a sense of impending doom. The soundtrack was amazing, HEALTH did a great job and the sequence when TEARS came on filled me with joy, chills and excitement. I know its missing some of the "feel" that the Remedy developed games had but i still think Rockstar did a great job and its a worthy entry for the series. I would take this over no Max Payne any day.

Comment

Working...
                              X