This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ask Remedy...

Will Alan Wake have any built-in support for Machinima?

Comment

Unfortunately no. This would be a lot of work to implement properly on the 360.

Comment

Hi everyone! I'm back for a while.

Remedy, I have a few questions.

1.)

As the game is being developed, how do you do your backups? Or do you even do backups of the game at all?

2.)

What would you say is the best thing about working with such a project?

3.)

Alot of games seems to be much harder to control on a concole than on a PC. In this case it's Xbox. Do you think the controls are userfriendly and easy to learn, or will it be a pain in the a*s to learn them? (From your point of view. )

4.)

How do developers like you guys stay up-to-date, making a game like this that has taken many, many years to finish? Is it like you have to "remake" things as hardware and specs etc improve, or... Yeah, you probably get my point.

Thanks.

Greetings from Lasse Tøftemo, Norway.

Comment

Originally posted by Xantrax View Post
          1.)

As the game is being developed, how do you do your backups? Or do you even do backups of the game at all?
          Of course they do backups... Right, Markus?

Just try and imagine the guys coming to the forums and trying to explain the situation...

Comment

Xantrax:

1) First of all, all of our work (code and content for the game) is stored in a version control database. Perforce is our chosen tool. Second, we back up everything using Backup Exec continuous protection server, to hard disk and nightly to tape backups, with regular offsite storage as well.

2) There are a lot of good parts, the best part is being able to work in a fun environment with a really talented team.

3) I think they are user friendly and easy to learn, and all tests point to the same conclusion as well.

4) We have been fortunate and been able to work on a stable platform (360) for the last 4 years. But other games raise the bar constantly and we're also) constantly iterating and improving where we think need to.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
              2) There are a lot of good parts, the best part is being able to work in a fun environment with a really talented team.
              I think he's trying to say that they goof off while on the job...
              <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

What, us? Yeah, we occasionally have fun at work too. Is that so bad?

Comment

Yeah... Because it makes me want to work at Remedy. Darn you, Markus, darn you!

Just wondering, does Remedy have any big plans for advertising towards release, or is Alan Wake going to simply continue at the pace it's at now? Because it seems like it's being lost amid the sea of big 2010 releases.

Oh- and so sorry I forgot to say this before- but could you thank Sam for signing that poster for me? It's hanging on my wall very proudly.
                  <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Kitt, sure thing, there will be ads and stuff later. Sep-Nov is just 99% focused on titles coming for Christmas and it doesn't make sense to spend huge amount of money on a spring title during that time.

I'll thank Sam.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                      Kitt, sure thing, there will be ads and stuff later. Sep-Nov is just 99% focused on titles coming for Christmas and it doesn't make sense to spend huge amount of money on a spring title during that time.

I'll thank Sam.
                      Live action ad would be really cool! Ilkka Villi running around the dark forests of Bright Falls
                      KATAKOMB - Upcoming horror game by me

Comment

So Markus, I know AW 1 hasn't even shipped yet, but how long will Remedy wait until the sequel starts being developed? are we talking a long time, or "get your popcorn ready" because we're working on it right now? Thanks!

Comment

cajagger I can't answer that satisfactorily without revealing a bit too too many things at this point, unfortunately

Comment

Could you tell a little (or more, based on your preference) about what kind of things are you working on now that your on the polishing stage? Anything interesting or less interesting will do. ie. Are you working on those stairs? Are you making optimizations to the engine or is the engine done already? Has Barry gotten a new shirt yet? Etc. Etc.

Comment

There are a million small and larger things the team is working on, but as one example most final voice-overs have found their way in recently, and they're really good!

The engine has improved too over what has been shown. I won't tell you how though, that's for the next videos / screenshots to show. And before you ask when? -- don't

Comment

That engines sounds cool. When do we get to see these? haha
                                "Don't waste time, or time will waste you"

Comment

Working...
                                X