• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask Remedy...

I guess only we, the gamers, will be able to answer this question

Comment

Ah, a Remedy Q&A. Most excellent!

Here are a few random questions for our favorite finns.

1) What other game studios/industry figures do you look up to?
      2) What is the lousiest game you have ever played?
      3) How do you cope with those 5 year Remedy dev cycles?
      4) Just how much caffeine do you need to function on a daily basis?

Comment

Originally posted by Aavenr View Post
        Ah, a Remedy Q&A. Most excellent!

Here are a few random questions for our favorite finns.

1) What other game studios/industry figures do you look up to?
        2) What is the lousiest game you have ever played?
        3) How do you cope with those 5 year Remedy dev cycles?
        4) Just how much caffeine do you need to function on a daily basis?
        4) They drink a LOT of coffee here. Lucky for me, they have Mountain Dew, which is my coffee substitute.
        I've been wrestling with reality for most of my life. I'm pleased to say I've won.

Comment

What? The Stratman ain't a coffee junkie?

Comment

Ah, Mountain Dew...drink of the Gods! Nothing comes close.
            Remedy's currently known projects:
            Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by StratonAce View Post
              4) They drink a LOT of coffee here. Lucky for me, they have Mountain Dew, which is my coffee substitute.
              Hear hear! The day the coffee machines break down in this office you will see games delayed and entire quarterly earning forecasts swayed. Crazy caffeine-addicted northern europeans!

Comment

Do you have any common hobbies outside of work?
                Bright Falls: There must be some kind of way out of here.

Comment

Like afs inquired before, could somebody from Remedy take us through an average day at Remedy Entertainment? That would be great!

Comment

Hi Remedy team and moderators. I have a couple of questions for you.

First, I noticed on your recruitment page that none of the job descriptions list the ability to speak Finnish as a requirement. Does this mean you use English as your working language within the studio for documents and meetings?

And second, do you have anyone from outside Finland working at Remedy and if so, I'd really like to hear their answers to question 9: "How did you get a job at Remedy?" Thanks.

Comment

Actually, that's something I've wondered too. From what I understand, most Finns speak English well, but it's not an official language of the country. My guess is that you wouldn't have a problem in the actual office, but you'd probably need to learn the language if you want to make a life for yourself in Finland. Otherwise you're just a 'perpetual tourist', as a friend of mine put it. I guess that applies for any country.

StratonAce recently got a job with Remedy (he's American) - maybe he can tell you more.

Comment

As I understand it, all Remedy employees are based at the Espoo office. Microsoft helps out with outsourcing, so it is still possible to be involved in Alan Wake, just not as a Remedy employee.
                        Remedy's currently known projects:
                        Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

As far as I can remember some (long) time ago they said English is their official language.
                          Webmaster of Alan Wake Zone

Comment

Oh, globalization. Although all Scandinavians, as far as I know, speak English well.

Comment

Yes we do speak English and it is our offical language at office. All meetings and documents are English.
                              However Finnish pepoles like to speak Finnish so living here without understanding language is not impossible, but it must be hard sometimes. Not everybody in Finland even speak English more than "yes" and "no" and they would type those like this "Jes" and "Nou". Everybody older than 12 and younger than 60 should understand English and Swedish at least a little. Swedish is also offical language in Finland but it is mainly used western cost cities. I think than biggiest problem if not speaking finnish is to create social life outside of work. It must be hard to find girl friend or any real friends if other needs to translate everything what he/she says and when Finnish pepole speak English you need also think "English way". Of course if you speak English or Finnish long enough you don't need to translate it anymore but until you get to that point life might be little bit harder. That what it is if you go working in foregin country. I am sure than it is hard at first but you have enough courage and patience you will get great memories and valueable experience for return of that time.

Comment

Questions for Remedy:

1. How do you come up with ideas for the story in Alan Wake?

2. What will you remember best so far from the developement of AW? (Anything nice/negative/fun/sad?)

3. How many people are working in Remedy?

4. Are people in Remedy friends outside of the company too? (Like, do you hang out together sometimes?)

5. Is the story/manuscript already done, or are you still writing?

6. How would you say the co-op in Remedy is?

7. Which of the soda-machines do you use most often? Left or right one?

8. Are there any women working in Remedy?

9. How old are you?

10. Got any fun history you can tell us from the office?

11. Does the tought about how many people are waiting for the game, making you "nervous/shakey"? why / why not?

12. If YOU had to decide a new name for Alan Wake, what would that be, if it had to be something complete different?

13. Does the weather affect the effectivity of your work?

Cheers, Lasse.

Comment

Working...
                                X