Re: Ask Remedy...

Originally posted by Vlado View Post
      Do Remedy employees have any religion?
      Only the NDA, apparently.
      They call me Si.

"If in doubt, keep your socks on."

Comment

Zelda: The number on www.remedygames.com says 40 nowadays.

Vlado: We don't ask people's religion in job interviews, and it's not a subject commonly brought up during office discussions. Most common religion in Finland is Lutheran, but we have quite a few different nationalities at the office nowadays.

Comment

Ok, thanks for answer, it was just my interest.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
            Vlado: We don't ask people's religion in job interviews, and it's not a subject commonly brought up during office discussions. Most common religion in Finland is Lutheran, but we have quite a few different nationalities at the office nowadays.
            That's neat, I didn't know that. My great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather or somethingrather was Martin Luther.

I have a question, though: How involved are writers in the process of creating a game? Do they frequently collaborate with level designers, or other types of workers? And will developers sometimes hire a writer not specifically involved in the gaming industry, but who is at least an avid gamer? (See: I'm currently writing my own game, and while I want to minor or major in creative writing, I'm not so sure I want to go into the video game industry. Actually, I want to be an archaeologist, but write totally unrelated things on the side. Would it be possible for someone like me to submit a fully-written story, with dialogue, level direction, and all, and not have a career in video games?)

I wonder if Sam is on...
            <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Kitt - Writers are fairly heavily involved in creating of the game at least here at Remedy. Especially Sam. It's a must as we do story-driven games.

And sure, of course studios can hire writers who are not involved in the gaming industry. If this would not happen the gaming industry would have zero writers Being an avid gamer helps because writing for games is different than writing to different forms of entertainment.

Comment

Yeah when I was at Uni I took a writing for games course, VERY tough. I love writing but after that course I was burnt out and didn't realise how indepth game writers have to go.

Well of course that's the GOOD game writers, I'm not talking about a game like Quake or Doom here

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                  Kitt - Writers are fairly heavily involved in creating of the game at least here at Remedy. Especially Sam. It's a must as we do story-driven games.

And sure, of course studios can hire writers who are not involved in the gaming industry. If this would not happen the gaming industry would have zero writers Being an avid gamer helps because writing for games is different than writing to different forms of entertainment.
                  Cool. Thanks for info.

Do most of the Remedy staff live quite close to the building? I notice you post here quite early... (and i know there is a minor time difference).

Comment

Thanks Markus, ADM. That sounds nice. I have several video game concepts and a television series I'd like to see created.. So that sounds promising! No to decide what I really want to do with my life. @_@
                    <---Alan's OTHER Biggest Fan. Now with less 'hick'!

Comment

Demite - I post in the morning as when I get to the office I rarely have the luxury of spending time on the forums.

I live fairly close; quite a few do. But downtown Helsinki is popular too and we still have a few guys taking the traffic pains from the other side of the town.

Comment

How many non-finnish workers do you have at your office? From which countries are they from?

Comment

I have 2 questions.

1. How do you guys work when making games? They are so different from anything i have ever played. In a very good way

2. What education do you have? Im not trying to push out too personal information, but i dream about one day becoming a game-designer. So i was just wondering what you need to actually be involved in the making of a game.

Comment

Shorty:

1. Thanks! I can't even begin to answer this in any short way. We have a fairly methodological way of thinking about game IPs and high level concepts, plus we have a certain "What is a Remedy Game" criteria. This is the 'magic' that happens in the beginning of a project. In the end, it's meticulous attention to detail (polish).

As an comparative example, I bought a new HDTV on Saturday, and while I love it's basic starting points (a brilliant panel, excellent feature set), I would never personally be happy shipping it because it's EPG is horrendously slow. It is functional but lacks the final touch, the attention to detail.

2. We have folks with widely varying education from no formal education at all to folks who can be called 'Doctor' and not because of their medical merits . Most common is a masters' degree in engineering, but that's because the art team is spread around more than the programming team across different kinds of education...

Comment

Piiska: We have 7 different nationalities, some from close by and some from the other side of the planet. Where odd animals jump on two feet.

Comment

I'm kinda hungry right now so it got me thinking, does Remedy have a Cafeteria in the building? If not, what do all of you do for food? Do you eat out everyday or bring food from home?

Comment

Working...
                                X