X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ask Remedy...

Hey Remedy,

When you make a game, for example when Sam Lake wrote Max Payne, could you just from the start just go and make this game?

or was their protocol such as informing 3D realms, getting rights, publishing contracts...permission to make the game...like a film script where it has to be reviewed etc etc
    Reformed Max Payne 3 basher
    Loving Max Payne 3 since Edge's Cover 2011

Comment

Hi Dark, I'm not sure there's a short explanation to that question, but I'll try. This is definitely not all-inclusive.

1) We have certain starting points on what should a Remedy game be like. With those in mind we explore the best ideas for a game. Quick prototypes may be involved. Obviously our team's special skills and technology are considered too.

2) We go into preproduction. A lot of the prerequisite tech, game design, what happens in the story etc. is done here. Publishing contract is a nice part of this as well.

3) We hit production, hammer away at the environments, art, gameplay logic, write the final story bits, audio, music, characters etc...

4) Post-production is last but definitely not least; voiceover recordings, polish, localization, etc.

Comment

I know there's a great chance I'll never get this one answered but I'm gonna try anyway:

Could you guys at Remedy comment on how you feel about what's being done with your franchise, the Max Payne series? Max Payne is your thing after all, it must feel kinda odd to see a Max Payne game coming from another developer.

At least say something. Anything. "I love blueberries" for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruuttu View Post
          I know there's a great chance I'll never get this one answered but I'm gonna try anyway:

Could you guys at Remedy comment on how you feel about what's being done with your franchise, the Max Payne series? Max Payne is your thing after all, it must feel kinda odd to see a Max Payne game coming from another developer.

Come on Remedy, be honest, be personal...

And thank you for the answers, they cleared things up a lot for me

Comment

1) We have certain starting points on what should a Remedy game be like. With those in mind we explore the best ideas for a game. Quick prototypes may be involved. Obviously our team's special skills and technology are considered too.
            Actually, once the game finally comes out, I'd like to hear a bit more about the early days (after shipping mp2, but before e3 2005) -- when you went back to the drawing board. In other words, how the initial idea for Alan Wake was developed, where the idea of light as a gameplay device came from, and what other game ideas were rejected.

I can guess at a few of these -- Address Unknown hints at an interest in Twin Peaks & psychological thrillers, and Alan Wake has several core features that Max Payne didn't/couldn't do (wide open environments, drivable vehicles, fully dynamic light, etc). But I'd like to know what happened up to the point when you all decided "Our next game is going to be Alan Wake", and preproduction officially started.

Comment

How many Xbox consoles have RROD'd on you so far?
              I heard Double Fine had about 10 during development of Brütal Legend for example.
              Open up the broken cup
              Let goodly sin and sunshine in

Comment

Originally posted by One Eyed Jack View Post
                How many Xbox consoles have RROD'd on you so far?
                I heard Double Fine had about 10 during development of Brütal Legend for example.
                Shows how crap Microsoft are, 5 years on and they still don't fix the problem
                "Oh we offer a warranty" No! you make a console that works you prick! My PS1 is 13 years old and still works fine to this day! Sony rocks, what do you do Microsoft? you make a machine more annoying that clamydia
                Last edited by Dark; 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Hey Remedy,

Is it more stressful for you guys to work on Alan Wake or games in general because you have such a small team developing it?
                  Go Gators!!!

Florida Gators: 1996, 2006, 2008 - National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Ruuttu View Post

Ditto

Comment

There is a lot of unanswered questions above me, but i'll throw this one in too.

You guys waited a long time before you gave us a release date, so i supose you wherent sure about when the game would be ready. But I have been thinking about some things.

When Alan Wake really started to take form, what was your guess on the release date? Circa 2007-2008. Did you have early 2010 in your mind for quite a long time, or did Microsoft give you a deadline?

Could you share some of your thoughts and speculations about the release date throughout the development time? I know some details are secret, but is there anything you can tell us?

Thank you

Comment

Ruuttu, Dark, I don't think it's our place to comment on Max Payne 3 as we haven't been involved with it and only have the public material to lean on. It has a cool tech behind it and the creative vision at R* has always been strong so I'm just looking forward to seeing what they will come up with.

We do get an occasional broken devkit (we have ~50 of them), but the devkits are still (to my knowledge) all 1st gen hw and haven't gone through any of the reliability improvements and silicon re-spins the end-user kits have.

That being said my Xbox360 is from the original 2005 batch, got it "launch day-1" in Finland. It still works fine.

Shorty: Let's get back to this maybe in a post-mortem

Comment

Now that Rockstar have their own vision of the Max Payne franchise, I would like to hear what Remedy had planned for us when they left the little message at the end of Max Payne 2.

Looking back to when you were working on the first two games, what were some of the ideas Remedy had with regards to any Max Payne sequels - were there any specific directions you wanted to head with the series?
                          Remedy's currently known projects:
                          Quantum Break - 2016

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                            We do get an occasional broken devkit (we have ~50 of them), but the devkits are still (to my knowledge) all 1st gen hw and haven't gone through any of the reliability improvements and silicon re-spins the end-user kits have.
                            That being said, I must just add that RRoD is particularly common problem with devkits. We've had those too (although more with demo kits, those are AFAIK pretty much the same hardware as retail kits), but usually they fail in some other way.

The last devkits arrived to us were manufactured in 2007, they have had some upgrades since the initial ones, but they are still a lot behind the retail kits. You have to remember that the production quantities are much lower with devkits than with retail ones.

- J

Comment

Originally posted by Morry View Post
                              Now that Rockstar have their own vision of the Max Payne franchise, I would like to hear what Remedy had planned for us when they left the little message at the end of Max Payne 2.

Looking back to when you were working on the first two games, what were some of the ideas Remedy had with regards to any Max Payne sequels - were there any specific directions you wanted to head with the series?
                              Think they'd come up with a damn better idea than what Cockstar have come up with

Comment

Originally posted by MarkusRMD View Post
                                Ruuttu, Dark, I don't think it's our place to comment on Max Payne 3 as we haven't been involved with it and only have the public material to lean on. It has a cool tech behind it and the creative vision at R* has always been strong so I'm just looking forward to seeing what they will come up with.
                                Thank you for your answer, I knew you could do better than blueberries. They don't even taste that good...

But hey, one Q:
                                I'd like to know a bit about the way you work as a team. How often do you gather to discuss about the game and development? How much can one person affect the paths you choose in development? Etc etc, tell me.
                                Last edited by Ruuttu; 06-29-2009, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X